Headgear Preferences

Gentlemen- Good to be posting again (busy summer). To the point headgear, I am looking to purchase a couple sets (old stuff has got to go). I admit I have not kept up on headgear at all just skip that section of the catalogs all the time. Anyways I saw a lot of difference in the new models , most striking was the polycarbonate shields and the gel padding.

I admit I should use headgear more than I do but I have not used either of these products and was looking to you for your experiences good or bad with these to options in particular. Thanks in advance for the comments. If there are particular cuts that you like please feel free to endorse your favs.

I dig the Title Classic headgear. USA Boxing approved, isn’t too intrusive as far as blocking your line of sight, but it’s still comfortable. It was cheap, too, like $40.

Thanks Irish, was that the one ( Classic ) with no chin protection.

This is the one: http://store.titleboxing.com/title-classic-amateur-competition-headgear-cheeks.html

There’s nothing on the chin, but I never found that to make much of a difference. I was always a little intrigued by the whole face protector one - Marquez wears it in sparring - but the problem is that it’s so expansive that you can’t see uppercuts until it’s way too late.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
This is the one: http://store.titleboxing.com/title-classic-amateur-competition-headgear-cheeks.html

There’s nothing on the chin, but I never found that to make much of a difference. I was always a little intrigued by the whole face protector one - Marquez wears it in sparring - but the problem is that it’s so expansive that you can’t see uppercuts until it’s way too late.[/quote]

I would take Irish’s advice. He not only trains on a budget, but has been in and out of plenty of gyms and payed attention to what is used and by whom.

I would also solicit Sento’s advice (he also teaches/trains so he may have input about body types, ect.) and donnydarkoIRL’s (pro boxer and very helpful and articulate). You already have Irish but could drop a question in donny’s log on this board.

I have no opinion worth counting compared to the above three.

Regards,

Robert A

Irish thank you for the clarification, I was looking at a different model. I will probably buy two sets. I have four new LEO’s to train over the winter along with my son and another officers son. And the price is appreciated. I encourage them to get there own but they seldom do.

Robert- Your right, that’s why I asked.

[quote]Dude623 wrote:
Irish thank you for the clarification, I was looking at a different model. I will probably buy two sets. I have four new LEO’s to train over the winter along with my son and another officers son. And the price is appreciated. I encourage them to get there own but they seldom do.

Robert- Your right, that’s why I asked.[/quote]

And they really should, because wearing “house” headgear is grosssss.

FYI - Get the medium size, because the large is kinda big, but you can adjust a medium into a large easily with the ties in the back.

FYI - Get the medium size, because the large is kinda big, but you can adjust a medium into a large easily with the ties in the back.[/quote]

Thanks Irish that helps

And they really should, because wearing “house” headgear is grosssss.
[/quote]

Yes, but there is a tipping point.

Putting on the already sweaty and swampy FIST helmet to do force on force/scenario work makes you superman. You get exposed to so much infectious material/cuties that nothing else can bring you down. Just like pediatric nurses and doctors.

The first months of peds you are always fucking sick. After a year, you could chop a line of anthrax spores and go skiing.

Regards,

Robert A

I like the mexican style. Lots of cheek coverage but good vision still.