T Nation

Headaches + Workouts?

I finished off phase 2 of CT’s mutation series and for 3 days took a break off all additional supplements, ie. CLA, vitamin a/c…etc. The weather here is turning cold to plus my eightsight has slightly gotten out of prescription i think. Basically those 3 days were giving me minor headaches. I went back into phase 3 yesturday doing some intense leg work and got a ginormous headache after squatting. I also noticed that CT puts a carb loading phase in this program, something I did not do yet.

Anyone know why I am getting these headaches, or what I should add to my diet to fix em? My only idea is the cold weather change and the lack of energy…

Asim, if you haven’t done so already, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to go in for your annual physical.

In addition to the above, are you taking a good multi-vitamin? Good in this case means anything taken 2 or 3 times a day; definitely not a one-a-day.

Definitely address the other things you mentioned taken care of; glasses, etc. I’d also like to see you add some ZMA into your nutritional regimen. Most of the population is deficient in magnesium anyway, with athletes being even more so.

Magnesium has been utilized in the treatment of vascular headache. It is most commonly recommended as a supplement in the preventative treatment of migraine and sometimes used for cluster headache. Some patients and physicians attest to its helpfulness.

Prior to today I was not taking multivitamins but only A and C. As soon as i cut those out for 3 days the headaches entered…so lacking vitamins might be one thing.

I took one mutlivitamin, reading its contents it has 10,000IUs of Vitamin A. If i took that capsule 3 times a day would that not be an excessive dose of Vitamin A? Considering I also get a lot of it from oatmeal etc…

Vitamins and minerals are cofactors in physiological processes in the body; i.e., in building muscle and burning fat, to name just two. All physiological processes in the body are “rate limiting.” In other words, these processes stop when a required vitamin or mineral is no longer available.

But here’s the thing. There are two different types of vitamins; water soluble and fat soluble. The body has the ability to store fat soluble vitamins for later use. But with water soluble vitamins, the body takes what it needs AT THAT PRECISE TIME and excretes the rest. The answer to your problem is not taking your multi-vitamin 3 times a day; the answer is to to take that one pill and divide it into 3 pieces. Your body would then be given 3 opportunities to utilize the water-soluble vitamins it needs, instead of just one opportunity.

Actually, I’m not really recommending that you cut your one-a-day into 3 pieces. Just make sure you’re purchasing a brand that requires you to take their multi a MINIMUM of 2 times per day, with 3 times being better.

I take a multi that instructs you to take 3 pills 3 times per day. And they are horse pills with 67 different ingredients! When I am eating 6 meals a day, I will take 2 multis at my 3 largest/larger meals and 1 multi at my 3 smaller meals.

And yes, to specifically answer your question, 10,000 IU of Vitamin A is considered to be the safe daily upper limit. Taking 30,000 IU per day is not recommended, except in special circumstances.

The “special circumstance” is that 50,000 IU of Vitamin A is sometimes recommended when someone is suffering from a cold or flu. For short periods of time only, though.

Thanx, that cleared up alot…