Headaches While Lifting

Didn’t even cross my mind. I might PM Prof X and see if he has someone, hes the only one here I know of that lives in my area.

Ill make some phone calls though.

Thanks for the brilliant ideas.

I always thought there was some unrelated reason to this problem that you were having. I had never experienced it. Until the last two days. Monday I had extreme head pain while lifting. I chalked it up to too much sugar over the weekend and plowed through the workout. About half an hr after working out the pain was completely gone.

Today,I was feeling good this morning and chomping at the bit to have a good workout. The headache started again following my first heavy set of front squats and this time the pain was so intense that I almost vomitted. Again, after only one heavy set. I did not try to fight through today and left them gym feeling defeated. That was 5 hrs ago and I feel horribe as I type this. I’m hoping this is the beginning of an illness and not going to be a prolonged thing with the lifting. I look forward to that time every day.

I am going to force myself to take a few days off to recover and hopefully get over whatever illness is creeping in and I hope this will solve the problem. I HATE down time.

My last 2 workouts I’ve had a massive “eye ache”

It’s a cross between how it feels when you have ice cream too fast and when you just have a sharp headache.

It sucked. I muddled through the whole workout…but it did effect me.

Hope your headaches subside OP.

Well as an update, I found a Chiro, but I have not made it to them yet. As a strange turn of events last week I managed to get sick.

This in turn worsened my headaches to nearly all the time, which I believe might be caused by the extra pressure from my sinuses and things of that nature at least I hope.

I took all of last week off of lifting, and since I still have some sickies lingering around in my body I am taking this week off too.

I am going to use this week to get the garage sorted out, and am going to buy a power cage over the weekend. If next weekend the aches come back well I will be going to the Chrio, (which I want to do anyway) and hope that fixes it.

Maybe I will get lucky and they will go away as soon as the sickes are out of my head.

I hope.

I get this exact headache when deadlifting. I have tracked it down to be a exertion headache.I try to force air out with closed mouth. Had to quit lifting for a week. Couldnt get it on with the wife either without it coming (pun not intended) right back. Breathing right has solved the problem for me.

I just started getting these headaches in the back of my skull while lifting too. I was going to create a thread but decided to search for one first. Glad I did. I made an appointment to see my GP and see if he has any idea’s. I suffer from migraines on a regular basis but these ones are different. To the OP, has there been any improvement? Did a chiropractor work for you?

[quote]johnward82 wrote:
I was not really sure where to post this, but I suppose here is as good of a place as any. About 3 weeks ago or so, in my third set of squats I got a crazy insane headache. I don�??t get headaches; never had a problem and I have been lifting for about a year and a half or so. This was close to the end of my workout and I managed to finish it. The next day, I got another one on the first set.

The headache went away by the end of the weekend and came back Monday during my session. This time it was on my first set, I let it subside to a dull ache and continued my workout. Its been like this for the whole time up until this week.

Monday I tried to lift, got a headache and just could not deal with it, I had had enough. Tried again Tuesday and it started to come on, focused my breathing and lifted slower and kept it from getting too out of hand. Tried to lift last night, and it started to come on crazy bad, so I threw in the towel and went inside, before it got to where I can�??t function. After three weeks I just cant handle the crazy pain anymore.

Somewhere in week 2 I thought maybe it was tension and stuff in my neck and traps, so I tried to stretch them out and warm up well before I lifted. I don�??t know if this is a coincidence or what, but the next day, horrific stiff neck. It started to get better but now it�??s a dull ache for about a week.

The headaches seem to be less severe but coming on easier. Last night I started to get one while warming up. I tried increasing my warm ups and I thought that was helping until I started to get it warming up.

I stay hydrated, I am not concentrating on breathing, although I am not sure if that was ever a problem before, and trying to warm up better/more.

Is this a matter of needing to take time off from lifting to let it heal? I have searched and searched but most of the things and forums I have read range from sinus infection, over exertion, breathing, hydration and things like that but I have not really managed to find anything on what people actually did to solve the problem.

I have never really had any medical problems before, nor have I had allergies although this year something was going on as my eyes have been red and itchy, so I wonder if I am starting to get an allergy to something and maybe this is a cause or something? I feel normal so I don�??t know.

My options as I see it at this point, aside from the obvious are:
Get a message and hope if I cure the tightness in my neck the other symptoms will follow
Go see a chiropractor
Go see a family dr.
Go see a specialty dr.

First I am going to take the rest of this week off, and perhaps all of next week and see where I get from there and re-asses the situation.

Money is limited for the doc visits and whatnot, (for those of you wondering, no I did not buy supplements, I ran out of money before that after I took care of my important things) so I guess I need to make the right decision first.

Nothing really has changed in this time as far as diet and workouts. About 2 weeks or so before this I had about 3 weeks off between the hurricane and my wife leaving. In that time I changed from Starting Strength to a 4 day split. Supplements are only glucosamine, fish oil and creatine. I am on the AD diet but even that has not changed in I don�??t know how long.

Also, since this is the first �??injury�?? time off I have had while bulking, what do I do with my diet? Keep it on excess, return to maintenance levels or what?

So I am just curious opinions, or if someone has traveled this road and found a cure, and such.

[/quote]

OH MY, AREN’T YOU DANA WHITE!!??!?!? OH wow, you are legend!!

Never made it to a Dr, insurance ran out.

Plenty of rest, breathing right and paying attention to how I align myself when lifting did the trick, and focusing on not straining my neck.

I feel I am fairly prone to stiff necks etc… actually have one right now.

Anyway just took it easy and “relearned” some things.

I’ve been getting headaches now while lifting but the location of the pain is at the very top of the head, slightly right of center. I’ll get them during my first set. Anyone have experiences with these and how they differ from the headaches the OP described?

I get these headaches also (just registered here to post in this thread). Been lifting for about 2 years, and normally taking some time off helps.

But they happen a lot like other peoples. Towards the end of a huge workout, over exerting then all the sudden its the crazy, flash of light pain at the base of the neck. 30 seconds later I seem to be able to function again, then the throbbing slowly eases throughout the rest of the day. Often that first hit of pain makes me nauseous.

I talked to a buddy of mine in med school (haven’t had health insurance for years), and he was quick to point out that if it were anything serious it wouldn’t happen only when I lift, and was probably exertion based.
Glad to hear so many people have it happen to them too though, never talked to anyone else that’s had this problem. Think Ill really start paying attention to my neck and head placement/tension when I go back to the gym.

[quote]Frogfat wrote:
I get these headaches also (just registered here to post in this thread). Been lifting for about 2 years, and normally taking some time off helps.

But they happen a lot like other peoples. Towards the end of a huge workout, over exerting then all the sudden its the crazy, flash of light pain at the base of the neck. 30 seconds later I seem to be able to function again, then the throbbing slowly eases throughout the rest of the day. Often that first hit of pain makes me nauseous.

I talked to a buddy of mine in med school (haven’t had health insurance for years), and he was quick to point out that if it were anything serious it wouldn’t happen only when I lift, and was probably exertion based.
Glad to hear so many people have it happen to them too though, never talked to anyone else that’s had this problem. Think Ill really start paying attention to my neck and head placement/tension when I go back to the gym. [/quote]

I dont post much, but I thought I would chime in. I just got over these problematic headaches(hopefully for good). Anyways, I suggest you go get them checked out just for peace of mind. My brain scan ended up coming back alright.

Anyways, I didnt stop training while I was getting them. I noticed that I could get arm and shoulder workouts in without to much of an issue. Also, i was able to do things like single leg-leg presses or single arm incline hammer strength press. I guess that the less muscle I was using the less it would bother me.

The headaches were gone 3 weeks after they started. I can now do heavy squats and presses again.

Try taking a couple advil 2hrs before you hit the gym too.

Hi Everyone :slight_smile:
I too have had the headaches in the past, 4 or 5 years ago now. I only ever got them while squatting, first time was after around 10 reps It started at the lower back of my head/upper neck and shot up to the top of my head, almost in a line. After the first time, i had it each time i squatted so eventually stopped the squatting, no problems with any other exercise and none up to the time i stopped lifting.

I have had many MRI scans, Pet scans, MIBG scans on all of my neck area in the last year in relation to something else but nothing came up about any problems in the back of my neck.

I get something very similar to the OP from time to time. I get it coming up my neck and into my temple throbbing and VERY intense…usually during heavy sets (such as max sets on DOGGCRAPP).

I have found that it is structural in nature, some massage, chiro and foam rolling usually does the trick. Although Bushy was right, you really want to rule out a vascular problem.