Headaches While Lifting?

Both today’s workout and my last workout, on Sunday, began with a headache on my very first lift, and then continued on for the rest of the day.

My diet has been the same for months.

I honestly believe my problem is with breathing.

When should you be breathing in and then out? I guess I could focus on that but i don’t know when to draw breath or be blowing out.

I had a head cold a month ago with a stuffy/runny nose. When I did bench press, I’d get a really bad headache during the lift. It felt like someone was putting my head and neck in a vice during the lift. Needless to say, progress was slightly halted during this time.

I’m thinking the strain on the body needs clear sinuses otherwise there’s a build up of pressure, thus causing your headaches.

Drink more water, breathe properly and don’t hold your breath (valsalva maneuver usually equals headaches).

Yup, breath properly. It’s especially hard on leg day when you’re pushing for that last rep and you hold your breath for some reason.
I have no idea why we naturally want to hold out breath when exerting extreme force seeing as it’s harmful to do and better to breathe.

maybe its something to do with out body bracing for impact and having air held in means its more rigid…

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
Both today’s workout and my last workout, on Sunday, began with a headache on my very first lift, and then continued on for the rest of the day.

My diet has been the same for months.

I honestly believe my problem is with breathing.

When should you be breathing in and then out? I guess I could focus on that but i don’t know when to draw breath or be blowing out.[/quote]

First and foremost, never hold your breath when you lift a heavy weight. This could cause a heart attack, a hernia or a stroke, not to mention dizziness and fainting. Exhale when you exert. For Examlpe: On weight machines, any time the weight plates go up, you should be breathing out.

Reply to the person above me. So, not breathing (while lifting heavy heavy weights) really could do some of that?!?!

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:
Reply to the person above me. So, not breathing (while lifting heavy heavy weights) really could do some of that?!?![/quote]

more than that. Read up.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Proper-Breathing-Technique-For-Weight-Lifting&id=1110411

Rippetoe says to hold your breath. I’ll listen to him. He’s says it’s a natural thing to do and the proper thing to do.