Headaches / Protein-Powders?

Hi,
New here, tried searching on this first but no luck.

Does anyone here get headaches from drinking protein powders/meal replacement shakes? Over the last 6 months I’ve tried the original Met-Rx, Myoplex and the Instone product and a couple hours after drinking any of them (different flavors) I always get a nasty headache that usually forces me to do nothing for the rest of the day.

Anyone ever hear of this or gone through it themselves and then found something that didn’t give them the headaches?

I’m trying to up my protein intake and doing it with whole foods alone is difficult.

Thanks.

[quote]Paclie wrote:
Does anyone here get headaches from drinking protein powders/meal replacement shakes?[/quote]

I’ve only ever heard of such a thing when the shakes are low carb, but then that’s just a factor of going low carb. If you’re not going low carb, then it could just be low calories. A protein shake by itself is not a meal. An MRP is, as long as it’s got plenty of good stuff in it.

Nothing? Like migraine level headaches here? Nothing like having recurring symptoms worthy of seeing a doctor over, but instead asking strangers on an internet forum.

Not it’s not. Really.

Almost sounds like an allergy to some thing maybe. The only time I’ve ever gotten a headache from a supplementis was when I overdid the creatine one time.

Yes I get that too.

I usually mix my whey(nonflavoured) with milk 1% or 2% and a scoop of hot chocolate mix.

Not as bad as yours though.

Any ideas?

BTW. I did not get this with the artificially flavoured cheap crap I bought before.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Not it’s not. Really.[/quote]

Where can I start reading? Any articles or sources you recommend on this?

[quote]brucevangeorge wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
Not it’s not. Really.

Where can I start reading? Any articles or sources you recommend on this?[/quote]

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
brucevangeorge wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
Not it’s not. Really.

http://www.T-Nation.com[/quote]

Ok…

I sometimes get headaches and feel like shit after after protein shakes.

It does not matter the brand.

I have stopped drinking them in the past because of the problem.

I am back to drinking protein shakes but I make sure I eat food with them. Seems to be working.

[quote]brucevangeorge wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
brucevangeorge wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
Not it’s not. Really.

Ok…[/quote]

I’m sorry. I thought you were kidding. Have you checked out the Massive Eating articles? Those are pretty good for ideas on eating lots of real food. Other than that I don’t have any specifics. I know there are lots of threads on eating solid bulk type items, eggs, meat, milk, etc.

At first I know it seems like you need to have protein shakes just to meet your daily protein needs, and there is some truth to that, but it doesn’t always have to be that way. If you have time to cook, it is always advised to get as much of your daily calories form real food.