T Nation

Headaches From Goodmornings

Hello All,

I am on the second prep phase of a Sheiko program, 3 weeks in. So far, so good. I feel stronger than I ever have.

But in this program you end up most workouts doing 5 sets of good mornings. My problem is that I seen to get a major headrush, and feel very nauseus (sp?) when I do them. Today I had to stop even though I used light weight so it doesnt seem to be related to the weight. In the past I could do good morning and not experience this problem.

You probably know that there is tonnes of volumes in these programs and I know I really push hard to get through them, and I turn as red as a cherry! Much more red than anybody else-I guess I’m worried that this is somehow related to my blood-pressure, which last time I had it checked was normal.

So, I guess I’m wondering do others experience these headaches. Regardless I probably oughtta book an appointment with the ole Doc.

could be because of the strain on your body (from the last few weeks) and your just over stressed or underslept and fed

ooor mostly likely not breathing as well as you could…i always go beat red when i`m going heavy for reps and sometimes will get headaches or really sore bloodshot eyes and its usually probably my breathing

I have heard of this problem before, sometimes a change of training time helps as well as whether or not you have a pre exercise shake.

Long Live The BodyScience

Try conciously exhaling through the concentric portion of the lift. This happened to me a couple times from holding my breath while squatting. Those are some bad headaches.

i used to get excercise induced headaches last year where i had to get an mri. when everything was all clear it was due to stress outside of the gym that was the problem. possible that you have been more stressed now then before u started the program? amazing how stress can cause ur body to do strange things.

When I did Sheiko, I was training in the morning (a hard time for me to train under any program). I puked twice during my first week or two- between squat sets as I recall- and I had several “false alarms”. It’s a grueling program. Don’t be afraid to take a little time between your sets.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
When I did Sheiko, I was training in the morning (a hard time for me to train under any program). I puked twice during my first week or two- between squat sets as I recall- and I had several “false alarms”. It’s a grueling program. Don’t be afraid to take a little time between your sets.[/quote]

Did you nearly puke with around 80% or did you bump the numbers up a bit???

Prob you have the bar high on your neck or you arent breathing. Lower the bar so it rest more on your delts and remember to breath

Phill

Hey Everybody, Thanks for all the Advice

First, It is likely that I am holding my breath and I dont realize it. I know I am prone to do that, particularly on good mornings. People have mentioned this before and I guess I am back doing it again. And I know am more prone to do it at the end of a long workout.

Squats and Deadlifts have never bothered me on this program. For the first four weeks I did #29 (per the elitefts sheiko guy) and used 90% of my squat and deadlift maxes. For the second one (#37) I upped it to 100% on this round without a problem. I have been able to complete all the reps usually without excessive rest periods.

On the squats I use a low bar placement, but by the time I get to good morning I have often been putting the bar higher to give my shoulders a bit of a rest. That is likely part of it too. I only go light on the goodmornings so the weight likely isnt an issue.

And I just started teaching again in September and that has put an additional amount of stress on me for the second cycle that wasnt there before. No doubt it has taken something out of me.

So, looks like you may all be right! But I think holding my breath is the most likely culprit. I’ll try to correct it and let you know how it goes. Next workout is Saturday.

Thanks All, I appreciate it.

Red