T Nation

Headache After Workout

I’ve noticed that every time I do an upper body workout that includes rows I have a headache the next day. I’m doing seated cable rows. My traps are a little sore. Is the headache from muscle tightness and normal or am I likely doing something wrong during the exercise?

Depending on the severity of the pain, I’d say it’s normal. I get a real dull headache after shoulder days.

I would just ask about your stretching and warm ups and your water intake?

[quote]ghargoyle wrote:
I’ve noticed that every time I do an upper body workout that includes rows I have a headache the next day. I’m doing seated cable rows. My traps are a little sore. Is the headache from muscle tightness and normal or am I likely doing something wrong during the exercise?[/quote]

Drink water?

You neck could be sore from traps and that could relate to your head.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
Depending on the severity of the pain, I’d say it’s normal. I get a real dull headache after shoulder days.

I would just ask about your stretching and warm ups and your water intake? [/quote]

It is a dull pain. I don’t do any stretching before my workout, but I’m pretty warmed up from other upper body work before I get to my back. What sort of stretches would you suggest for upper back?

I’m good on water. I’ve had 5 to 7 glasses before I hit the gym and usually andother 2 before bed.

I’ve met many people with tight traps who suffer from headaches. There is no doubt in my mind that there is a link. If I were you I’d really get into stretching before and especially after the workout and get a massage once a month or couple of weeks, telling the masseusse to concentrate on your upper back and neck.