T Nation

Head Pain During Chin-Ups

I had to cut my workout short today because when I was doing chin-ups I experienced a severe and sharp pain in my skull, I would assume that it was a blood vessel in the brain. This has never happened to me before (though I usually don’t do chins).

The pain would happen about half-way through my set and when I got down would be at its worst and lasted about a minute then got dull and left me with a mild headache.

Needless to say I was freaked out and decided to switch to a lat-pull down machine, but I just couldn’t get back into my workout and drove home, and took 8 Flameout pills (for blood thinning).

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I get to a doctor?

Thanks

If you can feel a blood vessel in your brain then you better see a doctor right now. That may mean you have an aneurism. It could be something else or maybe just tension in the muscles around your head. But see a doctor to me sure.

I would not worry too much about it. It a frequently happening phenomena. I heard it referred to as the 20 squat headaches and it can usually be prevented by concentrating on your breathing.

Before I figured out how to prevent it I had it happen during chin-ups and leg presses and it was so bad that I had to abort the workouts those times.

Search “squat headache” and you will find other threads about this.

I have got head pain before from just pushing myself to failure. I mainly get it from doing high reps on exercises that take a lot out of you like as squats. I haven’t had this happen for a while because I haven’t trained high reps for a while.

I remember on a few occasions it would get so bad that I couldn’t stand up and would have to stay lying down on the ground for 15 minutes or so. It freaked me out too. I got a MRI of my head, and they found absolutely nothing. Nothing you can really do. Just make sure you’re breathing.

I wouldn’t worry about it personally.

I had the same thing happen when I was deadlifting a while back. Sharp pain in my head…man it was bad, had to stop my workout and go home.

It went away but for a few weeks any time I did a exercise that required a bit of effort it came straight back. Went and had a CT scan on my head and was fine. About 3 weeks after I first got it, i was fine and it never came back.

Do a search on here…ALOT of people have had this same problem and it just goes away.

Someones gotta say it…

Are you sure that the pain isn’t from hitting your head on the way up?

[quote]Stuntman Mike wrote:
Someones gotta say it…

Are you sure that the pain isn’t from hitting your head on the way up?[/quote]

Bastard, I was just thinking that

Alright then, I think I’ll make it.

I still have a pretty bad headache but I think I just need to sleep it off, I figure if it were really serious I’d be dead by now anyway.

Now I have an excuse not to do chins for a while, but I think I just need to remember to breathe and maybe cut back on the coffee (might be dehydrating me).

If it keeps happening I’ll probably get my ass to a doctor.

I find I get headaches if I’m too dehydrated, which is easily done when you work on a construction site in the desert.

fuck i thought i was the funny guy

stop hitting your head

You might have tweaked a nerve in your neck or traps which deffered the pain to your head.

My personal advice would be to get it checked out by a good physical therapist/ docter trained in ART

make sure your chinup bar isn’t too close to the ceiling. you may be hitting your head

[quote]tveddy wrote:
make sure your chinup bar isn’t too close to the ceiling. you may be hitting your head[/quote]

Overkill.

chug water between sets and keep your breathing regular and deep

[quote]EstoVir wrote:
tveddy wrote:
make sure your chinup bar isn’t too close to the ceiling. you may be hitting your head

Overkill.[/quote]

Thats what I get for not reading the whole thread