Head-Mounted Camera for Sports

Anyone have any personal reviews concerning a head camera used for various types of sports…hiking, biking, and whatever else… I am looking to purchase one, but would like some sort of direction. Any personal opinions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GoPro

This year on the ski hill I couldn’t turn my head without seeing one of those GoPro head cams.

GoPro. I Road and Mountain bike along with XC Skate ski with the thing occasionally. The latest version “Black” is damned expensive, yet is by far the best on the market. The quality of the lens, the ability to change the rate of frame exposure and overall quality is second to none.

Sponsored by No One !

I have to throw another vote for the GoPro. I know a few guys who use it while playing paintball and it seems to work great.

I only dropped by this thread because I thought it had something to do with mounting a head ON a camera.

:confused:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I can tell you one particular “sport” that these cameras work very well at filming…[/quote]

does it begin with a ‘p’?

Anyways, yeah I have heard of go-pro being that they advertise extensively, at least more than any other type out there. Now to those posting go-pro…besides the ones who specified, are you saying go-pro cause it’s all you know/heard of, or have you actually bought the merchandise, used it, had positive results and are able to give an honest review?

The reason I ask is because I’m not looking for some dumbass to start shouting out merchandise they’ve seen advertised…I want some reviews gosh darnit. So comply or die… Also thanks to the useful responses…continue on…

[quote]goldfingers25 wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I can tell you one particular “sport” that these cameras work very well at filming…[/quote]

does it begin with a ‘p’?

Anyways, yeah I have heard of go-pro being that they advertise extensively, at least more than any other type out there. Now to those posting go-pro…besides the ones who specified, are you saying go-pro cause it’s all you know/heard of, or have you actually bought the merchandise, used it, had positive results and are able to give an honest review?

The reason I ask is because I’m not looking for some dumbass to start shouting out merchandise they’ve seen advertised…I want some reviews gosh darnit. So comply or die… Also thanks to the useful responses…continue on…[/quote]

‘p’ for penetration

For goldfingers25, I work in the equivalent of a nordstroms in the outdoor world (footloose sports) and have both USED and Abused three different companies of mounted cameras. The easiest to turn on and off was the Contour which you could bluetooth into a smartphone for use as video playback. The ion setup which was similar and then the Go_pro.

I am a stickler for QUALITY of camera as that is what I have by degree in (photography). So even though it is a bigger pain in the ass to make sure it is on, the quality of video and photo is still a big leap forward from the other two.

The other nice option is the fact that it will record at 120fps for slow motion playback, which for some of the activities that we tear apart and discern is Very useful.

Hopefully this helps your decision a bit more, peace

killerDIRK.

[quote]goldfingers25 wrote:

The reason I ask is because I’m not looking for some dumbass to start shouting out merchandise they’ve seen advertised…I want some reviews gosh darnit. So comply or die… Also thanks to the useful responses…continue on…[/quote]

My brother in law mounts them on his desert racing vehicles and the footage he gets using the go-pro is so much more stable and watchable than what others in his circles use to film their off-roading exploits.

Also, friends of mine who film their trail runs and mountain bike sessions have told me that go-pro is currently the gold standard and that they haven’t found anything that out performs them yet.

That said, I don’t have any personal experience using go-pro cameras.

One good thing about head mounted cams, like dash cams, they give lots of quality footage of death, injuries and idiocy.

GoPro hands down.

Here are some of the quality stills you can get from it as well

I use mine for motocross, motorcycling, car racing, skydiving, snorkelling and diving, I’ve taken it to combat. the thing is bomb proof. You can buy accesories and mounts everywhere.

The new go pro 3 which I have upgraded to can be turned on and off with a remote or a smart phone. There is a reason why the other companies can’t keep up.

I shot this video with my Gopro recently and edited it with iMovie. I know its cheesy as hell but this is at half of all the quality setting so I could preserve battery and card space. So it is capable of much more.
1000 Miles on a Ducati 848 Super Bike - YouTube

Contours are not bad in any way. I would consider one as a secondary as it has a different shape/profile. But for the average user. Gopro