T Nation

Head Gear While Rolling?

Sometimes after rolling my ears will get bruised and swell a little. I used to roll 2-3 times a week, so usually the swelling would go down before I went in for class again. Now I’m rolling almost every day, and I’m getting a little worried when I bang up my ears since I don’t have recovery time.

Should I be wearing head gear? What are my risks of cauliflower ear if I continue rolling when my ears are swolen?

[quote]XiaoNio wrote:
Sometimes after rolling my ears will get bruised and swell a little. I used to roll 2-3 times a week, so usually the swelling would go down before I went in for class again. Now I’m rolling almost every day, and I’m getting a little worried when I bang up my ears since I don’t have recovery time.

Should I be wearing head gear? What are my risks of cauliflower ear if I continue rolling when my ears are swolen?[/quote]

the risks are great. Get some ear guards.

http://www.store.arcadiasports.net/storefrontprofiles/processfeed.aspx?sfid=16345&i=248726320&mpid=631&dfid=1

not the greatest, but they’ll work

I am always curious as to the people who don’t wear ear protection.

put some ear guards on.

my ears are not that bad- I’ve had them drained plenty
and a few stitches put in each that being said they are not great other damage happens other then
your ears looking gross.

And in winter- they hurt like hell- the parts that have hardened seem to feel the cold more
acutely, and hearing in my right ear isnt that great.

and If I buy ear buds or in ear head phones I need two different sizes.

I wore head gear all thru college- and as much as possible and I still have some damage.

I’d say maybe 10% of guys wear ear guards where I roll. Thanks for the heads up. I didn’t realize the damage was more than cosmetic.

[quote]XiaoNio wrote:

Should I be wearing head gear? What are my risks of cauliflower ear if I continue rolling when my ears are swolen?[/quote]

yeah, i’d wear 'em if you’re getting hurt.

i don’t understand people that that don’t wear protective equipemnt if they need it…

lol, i dunno, i hate head gear…especially if i’m rolling in a gi…my ears are pretty good relatively speaking i guess, kinda plateaued in terms of the calliflower…but what about all those bastards that’ve been training over 20 years with no damage at all…fahk those guys!

Well I have noticed, I usually get bruised ears when I roll with new guys. When I roll in competition or advanced class, people are more mature about it and lay off the craziness. It’s the beginner class where guys hold head locks and hold their forearms in the face that usually suck.

Unfortunately, between rolling with beginners and rolling 4 times a week or rolling in advanced class and rolling once a week… I’m going to choose head gear.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
lol, i dunno, i hate head gear…especially if i’m rolling in a gi…my ears are pretty good relatively speaking i guess, kinda plateaued in terms of the calliflower…but what about all those bastards that’ve been training over 20 years with no damage at all…fahk those guys![/quote]

word fahk those guys…

my ears look ‘ok’ but are still damgaged.

I actually wore head gear to a ‘real’ greco club, and basically got beat on for it.
I do dislike wearing it- and yes its lame as hell with the gi but I like it better
then sleeping with a binder clip or cloths pin or tape on my ear

strangely- My right ear was worse

My mother in-laws dog bit my ear- yes it was a stupid day
and I went to ER to get it stitched and the Dr. On call suggested that
I let the plastic surgeon stitch it cause she happened to be there
and she hooked me up.

the ear is ‘hard’ but looks mostly normal

go figure

If you need it, wear it. The guys at my gym immediately get something as soon as they notice it’s becoming a problem. Same with me, IF I would ever need eargear, I’d get it the same day(if the stores are open).

I get crap for this, and crap for protecting my feet. Still do it though, and I have the last laugh when we’ve been doing shoots / takedowns and I’m the only one who can put his shoes on after class.

I used to bitch about my knees being sore until I finally broke down and got some decent knee pads. Huh, what do you know, I don’t bitch any more.

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
I get crap for this, and crap for protecting my feet. Still do it though, and I have the last laugh when we’ve been doing shoots / takedowns and I’m the only one who can put his shoes on after class.[/quote]
Why do you get crap for it?

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

I get crap for this, and crap for protecting my feet. Still do it though, and I have the last laugh when we’ve been doing shoots / takedowns and I’m the only one who can put his shoes on after class.[/quote]
Why do you get crap for it?[/quote]

Guys think it’s tough to have cauliflower ears and mat burns on their feet.

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

Guys think it’s tough to have cauliflower ears and mat burns on their feet. [/quote]
Ahh, I see. We’re not quite like that over here. I would definatly NOT want cauliflower ears, and my wife would hate that! lol

Yeah, I train my ground game with a bunch of immature kids. It’s not ideal, but at least their skills are better than their attitudes. I’m going to try a new school once my schedule opens up, they’re more professional but I can never make their classes.

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

Guys think it’s tough to have cauliflower ears and mat burns on their feet. [/quote]

haha, while i can relate to the cauliflower ears, how do you protect your feet from mat burn?

Yeah, I train my ground game with a bunch of immature kids. It’s not ideal, but at least their skills are better than their attitudes. I’m going to try a new school once my schedule opens up, they’re more professional but I can never make their classes.[/quote]

Hey, the immature kids at my team get owned and crushed till they drop out. Your kids must have some real skills.

Anyways, good luck with that new school you’re going to try. Getting to train with professional people is the best thing that could happen to you. It doesn’t matter if you get owned by them day after day, knowing that they’re pros will motivate you to keep going, because you know you will learn from them.

[quote]slimjim wrote:

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

haha, while i can relate to the cauliflower ears, how do you protect your feet from mat burn?[/quote]
Not quite the same thing is it? Never heard of people trying to protect their feet. I guess they just let them burn!

Just had my ear drained.

Probably ordering this:

Anyone have any experience with brands or what not?

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

[quote]slimjim wrote:

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

haha, while i can relate to the cauliflower ears, how do you protect your feet from mat burn?[/quote]
Not quite the same thing is it? Never heard of people trying to protect their feet. I guess they just let them burn![/quote]

Wrap them or wear good tight socks.