He Comin

and he’d ruin cotto and margarito. no doubt in my mind

who had de la hoya winning? cecil peoples?

Hey Fightin,
Who’d you want to win when Hatton fought Mayweather? If you wanted Hatton, did you think he had a chance against May?

[quote]slimjim wrote:
and he’d ruin cotto and margarito. no doubt in my mind[/quote]

He would ruin Margo. Cotto would be a good fight though.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
My top ten has Sugar Ray Robinson, Leonard, Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey, Joe Frazier, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Ali, Roy Jones, Archie Moore, maybe Marciano, maybe Willie Pep, Gene Tunney… I mean, hell, Floyd barely broke the top 50 in ESPN’s article in 2007. Has he REALLY done that much to make him jump 40 spots over the HUGE names mentioned here?

Clearly not.

bleh, pound for pound and all time rankings are subjective. ESPN.com is the god of boxing fans[/quote]

I don’t agree with their rankings. Joe Frazier would be way higher on my list, as would Hagler.

But keep in mind out of all those names… Floyd couldn’t beat many of them. He’s a great fighter, but he’s not Top 10.

[quote]fnf wrote:
Hey Fightin,
Who’d you want to win when Hatton fought Mayweather? If you wanted Hatton, did you think he had a chance against May?[/quote]

I wanted Hatton to win. He’s also my favorite fighter though.

But I truly thought that his style would give May problems- and it did for the first five rounds. He’s a swarmer, the Joe Louis to May’s Ali.

However, I didn’t see Floyd adjusting like he did. Hatton also was not able to do the types of things he was able to do in other fights, like the mauling tactics that Joe Cortez wouldn’t allow.

Hatton also doesn’t bob and weave like Frazier used to- Frazier was always moving and punching.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
fnf wrote:
Hey Fightin,
Who’d you want to win when Hatton fought Mayweather? If you wanted Hatton, did you think he had a chance against May?

I wanted Hatton to win. He’s also my favorite fighter though.

But I truly thought that his style would give May problems- and it did for the first five rounds. He’s a swarmer, the Joe Louis to May’s Ali.

However, I didn’t see Floyd adjusting like he did. Hatton also was not able to do the types of things he was able to do in other fights, like the mauling tactics that Joe Cortez wouldn’t allow.

Hatton also doesn’t bob and weave like Frazier used to- Frazier was always moving and punching.[/quote]

That’s why most Pac fans would think he has a chance against Mayweather. He would swarm him for 12 rounds because he has the conditioning to do so. But Floyd has a great right hand that’s very fast and very accurate. So he would connect alot on Pac, with the power that Marquez lacked to hurt him. But Pac is a lefty with the same speed and very good power. So there’s always a punchers chance.
If Pac gets past Cotto, the big money for Mayweather is Pac. It will be in the range of 20mil for both fighters and it WILL happen around March.

[quote]fnf wrote:

That’s why most Pac fans would think he has a chance against Mayweather. He would swarm him for 12 rounds because he has the conditioning to do so. But Floyd has a great right hand that’s very fast and very accurate. So he would connect alot on Pac, with the power that Marquez lacked to hurt him. But Pac is a lefty with the same speed and very good power. So there’s always a punchers chance.
[/quote]

Pac isn’t a swarmer- he’s a boxer-puncher. It’s a way different style.

He came right at Marquez- and as far as I’m concerned Marquez beat him twice. Floyd wouldn’t let him get close enough to hit him. He’d keep him at bay and hit him with hard counters all night.

I’ve watched all of Floyd’s fights multiple times, and the only people May has trouble with are guys who jab alot and have handspeed equal or close to his. The hardest fight he’s had were Judah (first five rounds, of course) and Augustus- both slick fighters who can bring it. Pac’s hand speed may be close, but he’s too short with not enough of a reach.

Definitely a puncher’s chance… but not much.

Agreed.

i was just annoyed at how much bigger pbf was… pbf is one of my favorite fighter’s but god damn fuckin clean house and fight mosley/cotto/berto/clottey for fucks sake.

[quote]adarqui wrote:
i was just annoyed at how much bigger pbf was… pbf is one of my favorite fighter’s but god damn fuckin clean house and fight mosley/cotto/berto/clottey for fucks sake.[/quote]

Absolutely.

Mayweather was amazing, as most of us thought he’d be. (Kinda a mark of a champion)
Was there a fighter with an active defense that good before?

I have a hard time with the usual GoaT-lists; they’re basically old photo galleries.
The sport has evolved too much, especially on the drug front. For example, ESPNs 4th, Joe Louis, would get eaten alive today against Lennox Lewis, the Klitschkos etc.
And then come two thirds nostalgia.

I don’t want to soil boxing threads with MMA related stuff, so forgive me here, but let me just say that in thirty years there will be, just technique wise, a couple of amazing fighters, and our generation will shake their shaky fists and croak about how a certain unbeatable russian would have whooped their asses.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Mayweather was amazing, as most of us thought he’d be. (Kinda a mark of a champion)
Was there a fighter with an active defense that good before?

I have a hard time with the usual GoaT-lists; they’re basically old photo galleries.
The sport has evolved too much, especially on the drug front. For example, ESPNs 4th, Joe Louis, would get eaten alive today against Lennox Lewis, the Klitschkos etc.
And then come two thirds nostalgia.

[/quote]

Not true. Fighting is fighting, and I’d put any of the old timers up against any of the young guys in a second.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha It’s all roids right get out of here

No, how about you get on the naughty stool, child?
To deny how especially the heavies blew up like baloons is ignorance. A while ago, even the german heavies started to use extensivly. Whith great effect.

@Irish
You have seen footage of oldtimers (40s -50s). They did fight differently (Stances, commitment, length of bout etc.) Fighting has always evolved and so has boxing.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

@Irish
You have seen footage of oldtimers (40s -50s). They did fight differently (Stances, commitment, length of bout etc.) Fighting has always evolved and so has boxing.

[/quote]

Not that much. Marciano’s stance would have worked great for him in any age- Ali’s speed, Frazier’s left hook, Dempsey’s power in both hands… they’d have been fine.

EDIT- And, everyone knows that Sugar Ray Robinson would have beaten anyone put in front of him from any age.

I don’t think young Tyson was on roids

[quote]drewh wrote:
I don’t think young Tyson was on roids[/quote]

mmmmkay kids, crack is bad

Mosley on why Floyd will not go down as a great…

"He only fights hand-picked guys,â?? he said. â??Oscar fought Whitaker, Chavez, Quartey, Trinidad, myself. He fought Hopkins. He fought all different people. Chavez fought everybody. Duran, Leonard, Hearns, all these great fighters, Robinson, Ali, I can go down the list â??- they fought everybody.

â??This is what great fighters do, they fight the best. Mayweather wants to go down in history as being undefeated. â??No one beat me so I must be the best.â?? Itâ??s not true. In the end, you have to fight the best.â??

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
Mosley on why Floyd will not go down as a great…

"He only fights hand-picked guys,â?? he said. â??Oscar fought Whitaker, Chavez, Quartey, Trinidad, myself. He fought Hopkins. He fought all different people. Chavez fought everybody. Duran, Leonard, Hearns, all these great fighters, Robinson, Ali, I can go down the list â??- they fought everybody.

â??This is what great fighters do, they fight the best. Mayweather wants to go down in history as being undefeated. â??No one beat me so I must be the best.â?? Itâ??s not true. In the end, you have to fight the best.â??
[/quote]

im in agreement… i love pbf, insane skill… but he needs to fight mosley, cotto, williams, berto, and pac…

mosley is definitely trying to piss pbf off and make him want to fight, but it isn’t going to work… how the hell can pbf claim p4p by not fighting the top welter’s… its so damn frustrating.

marquez looked like a little child next to pbf (probably 154-156 lb come fight night), mosley definitely wouldn’t… pbf still outskills mosley, but mosley is a BIG welter… i really don’t think pbf wants to face a true WW… hatton small/sloppy, DLH was old, marquez was SMALL AS FUCK…

he needs to fight mosley.

after what i saw, pac is going to just be way too small.

Floyd wouldn’t step on a scale on fight night. Who is he kidding? He is great and undefeated and people have always wanted to see him keep fighting the best out there to see how good he really is. He will never do that and his legacy, as some have pointed out, will suffer. Can he even hurt guys like Mosely, Margarity, Cotto, etc.? He couldn’t put away Marquez and took a long time to knock out Hatton, at a weight Hatton was clearly not meant for and uncomfortable with. I think we will be dissapointed after Mayweather makes enough money to live again and retires again. I mean, who is he going to fight after Pacquiao? He never gets hit, but is scared to go up against really tough guys. I don’t get it.