HDTV ETC

I have been searching high and low on google and thought I would post here just for some insight from others since there is a wealth of knowledge from everyone.

Fact 1
I bought a new 42’ plasma TV …not going to debate LCD vs PLASMA …I made my choice I will live with it.

Fact 2
I heard a rumor that there is a box you can buy that will convert your standard video signals via RCA or coaxial into an HD signal for HD TV’s.

Question
Is this true? If so what are they called and where do I find one.

Or if it is not true I hear that some DVD players are able to do something called an up conversion.

Are they worth it?

Would it be able to convert external sources into HD signals?

anything upconverted isn’t true HD. Upconverting is basically the software in the dvd player or whatveer using an algorithm to guess what the additional pixels should look like.

1.I have never heard of anything like that, just get an hd box.

1. Upconverting dvd players are readily available and are fairly inexpensive. Thee is a bit of a difference between them and regular dvd, but it is nothing compared to blu-ray. If you got a 1080p tv i suggest you just go for blu-ray as the players have come down in price.

[quote]gsxtacy wrote:
anything upconverted isn’t true HD. Upconverting is basically the software in the dvd player or whatveer using an algorithm to guess what the additional pixels should look like.

1.I have never heard of anything like that, just get an hd box.

1. Upconverting dvd players are readily available and are fairly inexpensive. Thee is a bit of a difference between them and regular dvd, but it is nothing compared to blu-ray. If you got a 1080p tv i suggest you just go for blu-ray as the players have come down in price.[/quote]

I assume that the blue-ray players can play standard DVD as well as blue-ray?

What I would really like is one that does multi-formats IE Xvid DivX so I can use stuff I download on it.

Edit Nevermind I just answered my own question.

Yes, all blue ray players will also do standard dvd, and will up convert your standard dvds.

As far is i know only a few blue ray players will play Divx, i think Panasonic and Pioneer make the only two that will. Search around online im sure you will find a few models that do.

Or just buy a PS3, it will play Divx and its also one of the best blue ray players.

[quote]Ground-N-Pound wrote:
Yes, all blue ray players will also do standard dvd, and will up convert your standard dvds.

As far is i know only a few blue ray players will play Divx, i think Panasonic and Pioneer make the only two that will. Search around online im sure you will find a few models that do.

Or just buy a PS3, it will play Divx and its also one of the best blue ray players.[/quote]

Wow that took me a really long time to read your post cause I love your avatar so much.

I am considering that very much.