T Nation

HDMI Cables

Now i know its a digital signal, so cable cost does not matter as all are essentially created equal. So i was wondering what are some of the cheapest websites to order them from, preferably one in canada but not such a big deal. thanks.

[quote]Split wrote:
Now i know its a digital signal, so cable cost does not matter as all are essentially created equal. So i was wondering what are some of the cheapest websites to order them from, preferably one in canada but not such a big deal. thanks.[/quote]

www.monoprice.com

Hands down the best.

They are not created equal. Granted, the monster stuff is ridiculously expensive. But the no name crap out of China I’ve seen come out of the box with missing pins etc.

The chain is only a strong as the weakest link.

[quote]Chip Duglass wrote:
They are not created equal. Granted, the monster stuff is ridiculously expensive. But the no name crap out of China I’ve seen come out of the box with missing pins etc.

The chain is only a strong as the weakest link.[/quote]

Where on earth did you find an HDMI cable that was missing pins? I’m perfectly happy with my 25’ heavily shielded cable from monoprice that didn’t cost a house payment.

Buying something like a Monster cable is about like buying an Economy Calf Stretcher, except stupider.

I got a spare HDMI cable.

Take it off me hands!

monoprice by far

Newegg is to computer parts as monoprice is to all things cable.

Buy monster you’ll thank me later.

[quote]EG wrote:
Buy monster you’ll thank me later.[/quote]

Yeah, right. Please do NOT buy Monster anything.

Electrons don’t give a shit if they are travelling across copper or 24K gold. Physical law trumps marketing every time. Sorry.

I had a great web site that sells super cheap cables. Not monoprice but I forget the name. If I can find it among my bookmarks tomorrow, I will post it.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
EG wrote:
Buy monster you’ll thank me later.

Yeah, right. Please do NOT buy Monster anything.

Electrons don’t give a shit if they are travelling across copper or 24K gold. Physical law trumps marketing every time. Sorry.

I had a great web site that sells super cheap cables. Not monoprice but I forget the name. If I can find it among my bookmarks tomorrow, I will post it.[/quote]

x2

Monster Cables are one of the biggest ripoffs on the planet.

Go with monoprice, cablesunlimited.com or Newegg. You shouldn’t be paying more than $15 for a 10-15 foot HDMI cable at any of those sites.

Found it:

http://www.MyCableMart.com/

Although at first glance, I found cheaper prices on monoprice, I think MyCableMart may have a wider selection of odd shaped adapters.

Monoprice looks good, though.

Thanks guys 2 more quick questions.

1:what kind of cable do I need for my ps3 and

2: what kind do I need for my tv? I see hdmi to dvi and some other tpes which adapters do I need?

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
Chip Duglass wrote:
They are not created equal. Granted, the monster stuff is ridiculously expensive. But the no name crap out of China I’ve seen come out of the box with missing pins etc.

The chain is only a strong as the weakest link.

Where on earth did you find an HDMI cable that was missing pins? I’m perfectly happy with my 25’ heavily shielded cable from monoprice that didn’t cost a house payment.

Buying something like a Monster cable is about like buying an Economy Calf Stretcher, except stupider.[/quote]

If the Chinese can put arsenic in our toothpaste, would you really put it past them to make an HDMI cable that is missing a few pins?

You get what you pay for. W/ a Monster cable, if anything ever goes wrong, just take it back to the store you got it at and they (should) give you another one. Lifetime warranty.

[quote]Split wrote:
Thanks guys 2 more quick questions.

1:what kind of cable do I need for my ps3 and

2: what kind do I need for my tv? I see hdmi to dvi and some other tpes which adapters do I need?

[/quote]

For PS3 you can use either HDMI (preferred) or Component. Both are HD. And I suppose it just matters what connections are on the back of your tv to decide which adapters you may or may not need.

what about my tv?

Monster cables??? Seriously?

I have some bi-directional luminar flow speaker wires you might be interested in then…only $200 a shot :wink:

What a deal!

NCIX.com is a good place for cheap cables if you want a Canadian source.

[quote]Chip Duglass wrote:
If the Chinese can put arsenic in our toothpaste, would you really put it past them to make an HDMI cable that is missing a few pins?

You get what you pay for. W/ a Monster cable, if anything ever goes wrong, just take it back to the store you got it at and they (should) give you another one. Lifetime warranty.[/quote]

LOL. At the retarded prices Monster charges, you can buy 20 cables from Monoprice upfront.

I’m not exaggerating. Check the prices.

[quote]Split wrote:
what about my tv?[/quote]

What does your tv accept? Is it HD? Does it have the same slot as your PS3?

If it has HDMI use straight HDMI/HDMI. If it has a white rectangular multipin slot this is DVI. If it has neither, the next step down is component video, then S-video, then RCA.

If you have multiple items you are running on one TV like I and many others do, You may need more than just a couple cables. A reciever is something that makes your life a whole lot easier when it comes to getting something to work with your TV/ Home theatre.

For instance, a good reciever can bring in multiple HDMI inputs and send them to a TV with one HDMI port. I know my TV has 2 HDMI, but I want everything to go through my surround sound, so I just HDMI to the reciever and it sends the audio to the speakers, and the video to the TV. Anyways, I know it’s off topic a bit, but I made the mistake of trying to wire my way around getting a reciever and eventually just got frustrated and bought a good reciever to alleviate the headaches. (plus I wanted to get surround sound going).

V

you can get HDMI cards for 1 - 5$ on amazon.com. They will work fine on PS3.

www.monoprice.com