HD: Endurance Questions

For those of you that have tried the workout, two questions:

1.) What weight medicine ball did you use? (Was it too taxing, too easy, will you change it in the future, etc.)

2.) If you used bands instead of cable pulleys, what resistance bands have you used (i.e. minis, lights, etc.)

Thanks,
Pambele

Bump.

So nobody has tried this workout? The article got 4.5 stars…

Maybe CW can chime in.

I am sorry but what work out ?

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
I am sorry but what work out ?[/quote]

I am referring to Chad Waterbury’s “Hammer Down: Endurance” article, posted on May 29:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1083869

[quote]Pambele wrote:
pittbulll wrote:

I am referring to Chad Waterbury’s “Hammer Down: Endurance” article, posted on May 29:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1083869[/quote]

I’ve yet to do it but have done Juan Carlos’s stuff and Martin Rooney’s. I actually will try Chad’s in upcoming weeks.
I always started with JCS’s predator bands, just 2 bands per hand (or one if that is too much, it goes up to 3bands per hand) and I usually start a new exercise with a 9lb med ball. The first workout is fun and always I mess up and don’t do the rests right or whatever. But it’s just a run through.
Then, depending on exercise I’ve gone to 3 bands/hand with the ‘predator’ and I have 9, 20/40/60 and even a 100 med ball. I find myself using 20/40/60 for most things. With where i’m at and looking at Chad’s workout, I’d start with a 20lb med ball and see from there.
Have you done workouts/cirutits like this in the past or just ‘regular lifting’?

I’m planning on starting HD once the mobility portion comes out. I’m curious to hear what others who have already started it have to say.

Sorry dude, I use a sandbag that I made.

[quote]Scrappy wrote:
Have you done workouts/cirutits like this in the past or just ‘regular lifting’?[/quote]

I’m a powerlifter wannabe of sorts, but I don’t use gear (have used it in the past, I just don’t understand why people would want to use it… wait a minute, I should stay on topic) and I squat ATG.

My conditioning is terrible. In fact, I don’t think I could last 3 minutes of non-stop rope skipping.

The reason I want to do this workout is I’m fairly strong (relatively speaking) but I’ve had my ass handed to me in a couple of street fights because I had no wind after the first 30 seconds, and the smaller, weaker guy outlasted me.

When I’m detrained I lift 3x/week with 2 exercises only in each workout. 8 reps. I ride the bike (no joint issues) for straight cardio for 25 min day 1, day 2 35 min, day 5 45min, day 6 1hour.

Next week I start 20min bike rides 2 min easy 2 hard and do that 4x/week. Week 3 I remove a bike ride and replace with a cirucit like chads. Week 4 I ride the bike 2x and do the circuit 2x. It’s a nice way to get into this style of work i think…

I had a surgery and was totally detrained and this helped me get back into it. When I tried to just start with something too hard I would go good for a little while then fail.

[quote]Pambele wrote:
Scrappy wrote:
Have you done workouts/cirutits like this in the past or just ‘regular lifting’?

I’m a powerlifter wannabe of sorts, but I don’t use gear (have used it in the past, I just don’t understand why people would want to use it… wait a minute, I should stay on topic) and I squat ATG.

My conditioning is terrible. In fact, I don’t think I could last 3 minutes of non-stop rope skipping.

The reason I want to do this workout is I’m fairly strong (relatively speaking) but I’ve had my ass handed to me in a couple of street fights because I had no wind after the first 30 seconds, and the smaller, weaker guy outlasted me. [/quote]

Oh and as the weeks go by the lifting goes up in weight down in reps. I don’t go below 3 though

[quote]carter12 wrote:
Sorry dude, I use a sandbag that I made.[/quote]

Mind if I ask how heavy that sandbag is, has it been too taxing/easy, are you “fit”?

[quote]Pambele wrote:
pittbulll wrote:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1083869[/quote]

I will be honest with you; I could not do a whole work out like that and function for the rest of my day. But I have incorporated some of his Ideas in to some of my training. I think to strike really hard requires a twisting action that is what I am using. I love his exercises.

FWIW I tried this circuit yesterday w/ a 10# medicine ball and mini bands.

I went at it for about 45 minutes and only got halfway through the jumping jack/pushup combo and called it quits. I was completeley spent. Pretty sore today.

This will be a goal for the summer; complete the circuit in 30 minutes.

Pambele

[quote]Pambele wrote:
Mind if I ask how heavy that sandbag is, has it been too taxing/easy, are you “fit”?

[/quote]

I’d guess between 10-15 lbs. I am in descent shape. I finished that circuit in about 23 minutes.

I have been doing the workout with rocks. A small 2-3 pound rock for the twisting movements and a 8-9 pound rock substituting for the med ball. I get through the workout in about 35 to 40 minutes. I have been doing it once a week since the article came out and am trying to work up to twice a week with out burning out my 44 year old body.

I am using the workout to focus on speed, grace (agility)and lactic acid resitance (I am finding to be mainly a mental toughness thing) so using my progression will not be using heavier weights but on doing each movement fast and fluid, like one of those old school martial art movies. Then I am looking to add weight to my body (I thinking of building harness out of chain I can hang weights of off, I can’t afford an x-vest).

I am finding this to be a fantastic core training, fat burning, overall GPP building workout.

I like Coach Davies ideas, but not so much his execution. This workout fits my goals beautifully. (one goal: showing up my kid and his friends in backyard games). Hope this helps!

[quote]Bill McFadden wrote:
I have been doing the workout with rocks. A small 2-3 pound rock for the twisting movements and a 8-9 pound rock substituting for the med ball. I get through the workout in about 35 to 40 minutes. I have been doing it once a week since the article came out and am trying to work up to twice a week with out burning out my 44 year old body.

I am using the workout to focus on speed, grace (agility)and lactic acid resitance (I am finding to be mainly a mental toughness thing) so using my progression will not be using heavier weights but on doing each movement fast and fluid, like one of those old school martial art movies. Then I am looking to add weight to my body (I thinking of building harness out of chain I can hang weights of off, I can’t afford an x-vest).

I am finding this to be a fantastic core training, fat burning, overall GPP building workout.

I like Coach Davies ideas, but not so much his execution. This workout fits my goals beautifully. (one goal: showing up my kid and his friends in backyard games). Hope this helps![/quote]

That sounds like a good idea

[quote]Bill McFadden wrote:

I like Coach Davies ideas, but not so much his execution. This workout fits my goals beautifully. (one goal: showing up my kid and his friends in backyard games). Hope this helps![/quote]

Excellent tip, Bill. Thanks for posting!

Tried the circuit again yesterday and I’m amazed at how quickly the body can adapt.

I finished it in 40 minutes. That’s a big improvement from Monday - or it might just be one of those 1 in 5 workouts that Dan John wrote about…

Pambele

I know that Chad recommended lighter Med Balls. I use 5 pounders. The reason is I don’t want to use a ball so heavy that I lose speed since I’ll be doing the twisting and thrusting motions practiced at full speed. The ball is supposed to provide a little resistance to that movement. Like a plyometric exercise, such as box jumps, you don’t have to add weight or resistance to that just because you can jump on the box. Rather you try to jump higher and faster than before. I took the article as using the same principles with the medicine balls.

I know that Chad recommended lighter Med Balls. I use 5 pounders. The reason is I don’t want to use a ball so heavy that I lose speed since I’ll be doing the twisting and thrusting motions practiced at full speed. The ball is supposed to provide a little resistance to that movement. Like a plyometric exercise, such as box jumps, you don’t have to add weight or resistance to that just because you can jump on the box. Rather you try to jump higher and faster than before. I took the article as using the same principles with the medicine balls.