T Nation

Hcg for Hypothyroidism???

i presented my case here at tnation a while ago. ( http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_trt/prolonged_shutdown_long_cycle_low_t_facing_trt ). ksman pointed out that my thyroid was malfunctioning. while researching the same, i came across a treatment for hypothyroidsism using HCG. i thought this might be a good topic for a new thread. here are some of the links-

http://superhumanradio.com/PDFs/Fixing%20your%20Thyroid%20with%20HCG.pdf

since many times hypogonadism and hypothyroidism go hand in hand, HCG could very well be just what people like myself need. however, i am skeptical because there is a lot of contradictory information out there on this topic.

ksman, your thoughts? can this work? anyone have any experiences with this?. requesting the vets to chime in please..

this is the article which sparked the interest-

Fixing your Thyroid with HCG
by
Anthony Roberts
I was recently contacted by a girl I used to know, who was taking GH, Steroids and Thyroid
meds. It seems that she went to her doctor, had a blood panel done, and her thyroid levels
were as low as the test could measure. And unfortunately, I was contacted to help her fix this
problem, out of the blueâ?¦
But what I uncovered in my research is going to become a part of â??Thyroid-PCTâ?? for both men
and women, and itâ??s going to involve a compound that weâ??ve been using for (regular) PostCycle
Therapy (PCT) for years.
Iâ??m talking about HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin), oddly enough. And dishearteningly,
since she happens to do her â??researchâ?? at places that ubiquitously and powerfully advocate
total nonsense, she didnâ??t even know that HCG is a medication indicated for females, not
males; sheâ??d only seen it spoken about as an ancillary or PCT compound for men. I will wager
that most people who do know what HCG is commonly used for typically wouldnâ??t ever suspect
it could be used as a thyroid function stimulator.
Now, the thyroid gland is quite resilient, and usually recovers its function reasonably
quicklyâ?¦but since she had been using several drugs, all of which affected her thyroid in one
way or another, her thyroid didnâ??t recover within the usual 6-8 weeks after cessation of her
thyroid meds. In fact, it didnâ??t do much of anything.
First, Iâ??ll tell you a bit about how she got in this mess, and how the thyroid gland functions. As
is very common with women who use anabolics, she didnâ??tâ?? do anything resembling traditional
PCT after her Thyroid/Steroid/GH cycle; she just stopped taking everything and figured sheâ??d
recover. The first time she tried that (on her first cycle, several months prior), severe
depression followed, as did some losing some of the gains sheâ??d made. This time, however,
she was using quite a bit more drugs, and her thyroid didnâ??t recover at all as a result. More
severe depression followed, which I thought at the time to be a result of totally removing the
androgens from her body (low androgen levels are associated with depression). Now I believe
it to be from the psychological implications of the non-receptor mediated effects of thyroid
hormones (1). As usual, she had a look on the various websites and forums on the internet
looking for some kind of solutionâ?¦and predictably, knowing the various boards she frequents
(read: wastes) time on, she found no acceptable answers. Luckily, she avoided listening to the
usual Liturgy of Incompetence that usually gives advice on the internet, and didnâ??t cause
herself further damage.
After explaining what the number in the test meant relative to her thyroid function (â??youâ??re
screwedâ??), I told her that the thyroid gland basically secretes two hormones: thyroxine (T4)
and triiodothyronine (T3). T3 is usually considered the actual physiologically active hormone,
while T4 is just thought to be converted into T3 by deiodinase. Roughly 80% of T3 is
generated from this conversion. Secretion of T4 is regulated by Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
(TSH) which is produced by the pituitary gland. Iâ??m sure at this point, most people will see
that something that acts on the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Testicular axis may also act on the
thyroid, since both are influenced by the pituitary. Anyway, TSH secretion is in turn controlled through release of Thyrotropin Releasing Hormone (TRH) which is produced in the
hypothalamus (2).
But if the pituitary is involved with thyroid regulation, maybe certain meds that we use to
regulate and restore it for traditional PCT could be used for Thyroid PCT? At first this seems
like an off-the wall-idea, perhaps even a bit weird or chaotic; but remember, I like theories
(and people for that matter) to be nice and logical, and to have some kind of intelligence and
integrity backing them. Thus, I have no stomach for chaos or for anyone who does.
So now, by figuring out that much of the thyroidâ??s action is regulated by the pituitary (and
looking at compounds that could operate in that nexus of effects), I found HCG; but, even
though my logic seemed sound (funny how it always does to me), I wanted to be 100% sure
about this. Thatâ??s when I ended up taking a close â??molecularâ?? look at HCG.
The HCG molecule actually â??looksâ?? similar to a TRH molecule! In â??realâ?? medical terms, HCG is a
glycoprotein hormone that has structural similarity to TSH (3). Right, so if Human Chorionic
Gonadotropin has structural similarity to TSH, and TSH stimulates your thyroid, then couldnâ??t
we use HCG to make your body produce some T4; and then if T4 goes up, we should raise T3
also. And if weâ??re getting our bodies to produce T3, then weâ??ve fixed our thyroid! So thereâ??s
my theory: HCG can kick-start your thyroid into eventually producing the thyroid hormones,
and ultimately T3.
So hereâ??s what I dug up to support my theory that you can use HCG to help your thyroid begin
functioning again quickly after a cycle:
In one study, performed on rodents, HCG was found to induce expression of a thyroid-cell
growth-promoting gene (4) During pregnancy, excess HCG can cause hyperthyroidism (5)
through cross-talk with the TSH receptor (6). In fact, at the time of peak HCG levels in
normal pregnancy, serum TSH levels fall, in an exact mirror to the rise of the HCG peak.
This reduction in TSH clearly suggests that HCG causes an increased secretion of T4 and
T3 (7), if we simply realize that this is just a probable mechanism for maintaining thyroid
homeostasis. Often, Hypothyroidism is even seen as a possible result of the development
resistance to HCG (8); concomitantly, if your thyroid gets too high, your body will begin
to lower its sensitivity to HCG, to compensate and attempt to lower thyroid levels (9). All
of this clearly points to the ability of HCG to stimulate the thyroid to begin producing T4
and ultimately produce some T3 again, and getting your thyroid back to normal.
Now, some of these studies were done on women, and men simply do not have the high
responsiveness to HCG that women do (remember, HCG is a very important hormone in both
conception and pregnancy for women). Very large doses of HCG still produced definite
thyroidal iodine release (TIR) response in normal men, but it is only a weak thyroid stimulator
when thyroid function is normal (10). I am, however, confident that if thyroid function is low,
both men and women will find HCG to be a very potent stimulator of their Thyroid Gland, and
can use it to quickly regain normal thyroid levels after use of thyroid medication. As a quick
jump-start for your thyroid, I would suggest 1,000 IU per day for 10 days to two weeks, to
stimulate production of T4 and to normalize your thyroid as quickly as possible.
So what happened to the girl who originally contacted me for help with her thyroid? Well, I
gave her a list of various supplements to use, and some other advice for normalizing her thyroid. Hopefully this piece finds its way into her hands somehow, because I think itâ??s the
final piece of the puzzle for her recovery; well, that and not frequenting terrible boards.
References

1. Peptides. 2005 Nov 23; [Epub ahead of print]
  2. Human Anatomy and Physiology, 6th ed. Hole. WCB Press
  3. Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004 Jun;18(2):249-65
  4. Thyroid. . 1992 Winter;2(4):315-9
  5. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 1998 Mar;27(1):127-49
  6. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2001 Aug;58(9):1301-22
  7. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Jun;18(2):249-65.
  8. J Endocrinol Invest. 2003 Nov;26(11):1128-35.
  9. Thyroid.2004;14 Suppl 1:S17-25.
  10. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1978 Oct;47(4):898-901

hCG levels in pregnant women are huge. I don’t think that you can extrapolate to the low dose suggested here.