T Nation

HBO & UFC

Check out this article on Sherdog.com:

HBO is planning to televise at least 3 UFC Fight Cards in 2007. That’s great, but check out what the former HBO Sports President had to say:

“I think it’s ridiculous for HBO to televise UFC,” Abraham said. “When I was at HBO, we had discussions once or twice a year about professional wrestling. We all agreed that it would get good ratings and we also agreed that it would tarnish our boxing franchise. I feel the same way about UFC. Boxing has a storied history. When HBO attaches itself to boxing, it attaches itself to Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Muhammad Ali. It attaches itself to history, achievement, and glory. UFC has none of those things, and it will tarnish HBO’s boxing franchise. Will UFC get good ratings? Probably. But so would naked boxing.”

Now is that ridiculous or what?

Old men clinging to old ideas. Merchant and Lampley rag on MMA all the time. MMA is here to stay, and they better shit or get off the pot. I love and respect and boxing, and bringing MMA to HBO and Showtime will bring fans of both sports together.

I feel the same way. How do Professional Wrestling and MMA even compare? That’s absurd. They must have not watched a UFC fight since the early poor marketing days, or they’re just stuck in their ways, like you said.

If the UFC could find a permanent home, even a temporary one, with HBO, that would be huge for MMA. The publicity would be amazing. Heck, maybe we could even get a real Buffer as an announcer. (No, the Michael Buffer does not count.)

I’m not surprised that commentators like Larry Merchant would especially be opposed to the idea of the UFC on HBO, because if MMA takes over, he and others like him will be out of a job. They need to either adapt or shut up.

Merchant has softened his stance on MMA recently. Lampley is still a hater.

I guess it’s good for MMA to be on HBO and Showtime…although it sucks for me since we can’t (at least as far as I know) get these broadcasts in Canada!

You bastards better be posting the good fights on the net! :slight_smile:

MMA might have a short history in the US, but its hardly a new sport.

Pankration, as it used to be called, dates back to ancient Greece.

Oh, and I agree, how could you compare pro-wrestling with an actual sport?

Whatever, ever since Emmanual Augustus was snubbed I stopped watching…

While it’s a good sign for UFC to secure another TV deal, I think they’re heading into somewhat dangerous waters.

Sure, the sport is wickedly popular right now and fans are willing to pay $40 to watch just about any PPV that comes out on a monthly basis. But, when you start having Ultimate Fight Nights on Spike and now adding on 5 more shows to HBO, in addition to the returning Ultimate Fighter TV show and UFC Unleashed, I think UFC is going to burnout some of its audience with too much exposure.

Basically what I’m trying to say is that when you have so many fights, it’s hard to hype up a card as “special” when two weeks later, you know there’s going to be another show, either on TV or PPV.

WWE did the same thing a few years ago when they were hot; they added a new TV show and more PPV’s. Eventually, the audience got burned out on the product and now only the hardcore fans remain.

[quote]taylorsj wrote:
Check out this article on Sherdog.com:

HBO is planning to televise at least 3 UFC Fight Cards in 2007. That’s great, but check out what the former HBO Sports President had to say:

“I think it’s ridiculous for HBO to televise UFC,” Abraham said. “When I was at HBO, we had discussions once or twice a year about professional wrestling. We all agreed that it would get good ratings and we also agreed that it would tarnish our boxing franchise. I feel the same way about UFC. Boxing has a storied history. When HBO attaches itself to boxing, it attaches itself to Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Muhammad Ali. It attaches itself to history, achievement, and glory. UFC has none of those things, and it will tarnish HBO’s boxing franchise. Will UFC get good ratings? Probably. But so would naked boxing.”

Now is that ridiculous or what? [/quote]

HBO wouldn’t want to tarnish it’s reputation like that other network that shows Hookers at the Point on a weekly basis…oh wait that is HBO.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
…Basically what I’m trying to say is that when you have so many fights, it’s hard to hype up a card as “special” when two weeks later, you know there’s going to be another show, either on TV or PPV.

…[/quote]

I wonder if these would replace other events? I would personally like to see the UFC have about 9 PPVs/year with about the same number of TV events (actually I take as many free TV events as possible, but a 1:1 TV/PPV ratio works well for hype).

I was hoping UFC was going this way when they did not have a January card (Dec. 30 and Feb. 3).

Honestly, I’d rather see Pride events on HBO.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Honestly, I’d rather see Pride events on HBO. [/quote]

I think Pride would rather be on TV in Japan. They kind of need to iron that shit out before they go under.