Hazerfazer's Log

This log is to track my progress and motivate me to continually improve and push myself to new levels.

Basic Info:
I just turned 18, I’ve lifted for somewhere between a year and a year and a half. I began lifting to fight depression, and am now majoring in Exercise Science as I begin college this year. My current goals are to win a body transformation contest on another website that includes improving body composition, and improving push-up and pull-up numbers (the contest ends August 1st). I also want to be able to do strength and gymnastic type skills like the ones on BeastSkills. Particularly right now a freestanding handstand, pistols, and L-sits.

After the contest is over, I’m not sure exactly what my focus is going to be on. I’ll figure that out when it’s over.

I’m about 5’6", around 10% body fat, and trying to gain muscle. I weigh myself every Monday morning, and today I weighed in at 152.6 lbs. I’ve been around 150 for a while, it’s hard to get enough food in, but I am serious about eating to gain muscle now, so definitely expect to see that number climbing each week.

My diet typically has looked like this recently (on a good day - a bad day would basically be the same just not as much food):
7:00 Shake - Scoop of whey, half a scoop of protein blend, cup uncooked oats, 1-2 T of natural PB, some wheat germ, a banana, some carrots, some organic whole milk yogurt
9:30 Snack - Peanuts, almonds, raisins
12:00 Lunch - 3 pieces whole wheat bread, protein blend with some olive oil, an apple
3:00 Meal - 7 egg whites, 4 yolks, two pieces whole wheat bread, some fruit
5:00 Pre-workout - half scoop of whey, half cup of grape juice
6:00 Post-workout - scoop of whey, cup of grape juice
7:30 Dinner - Usually 2 turkey or lean beef burgers with brown rice or whole wheat pasta and a salad with apple cider vinegar
10:00 Pre-bed - Some pecans and raisins, 5g fish oil

My training right now is EDT. I also do hill sprints and abs on some days I don’t lift. Ideally I’d like to do 3 EDT sessions a week and 2 hill sprints/abs sessions. I’m also working on push-ups and pull-ups throughout the day to increase those numbers. My beginning push-up and pull-up numbers at the start of the contest were 42 nonstop push-ups and 11 nonstop pull-ups. I’ll post some pictures soon. I got EDT today, I’ll post it up later.

Here are pictures that I took today. Actually they’re video stills from my digital camera so they’re crappy quality, but whatever.

back

legs

random

side

get a new pair of shorts…they make you look like a dwarf.

I’m actually going for that urban dwarf look. Kinda 70’s counterculture dwarf.

5/26

A.M. Weight: 152.6 lbs. (increased from last week by .2 lbs.)
Daily Push-ups: 101
Daily Pull-ups: 28

EDT
PR Zone 1: 15 minutes

Sumo Deadlift: 190 X 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 4, 3, 3, 2 = 33

One Arm Dumbbell Bench Press: 61.5 lb. DB X 5RL, 5LR, 4RL, 4LR, 3RL, 4LR, 3RL, 3LR, 2RL = 33

Got a new P.R. of 33 reps, last time was 30 reps each

PR Zone 2: 15 minutes

One Arm Dumbbell Swings: 54 lb. DB X 5RL, 5LR, 5RL, 4LR, 4RL, 3LR = 26

Barbell Push Press: 110 lbs. X 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3 = 26

Never did this PR Zone before, was hoping to get over 32 each, but it was a little tougher than expected.
Anyway, PR of 26 for this zone now.

Finisher: Burpees and 70 lb. Barbell Curls
As many of each during “Welcome to the Jungle”. Got 30 burpees and 21 barbell curls. Will try to beat this next time (I’m sure I can beat it by quite a bit actually).

Good training day, good eating day. Total training session time was about 50 minutes, which was good. EDT is nice like that. I have tended to take my time warming up though, I’m cutting that down to around 10 minutes.

5/27
Daily Pull-ups: 11 chins

In gym class: 1 mile run - 6 mins. 40 seconds

I ran a mile in gym…the longest I’ve run in a long time. I was pretty happy with my time considering it’s probably been a year since I’ve run that far. I skipped hill sprints.

“Core” Workout

V-Ups X 10
Supermans (limited ROM) X 8
Hanging (from bar) Leg Raises X 5
Extended Arm Plank X 30 secs

then 2 minute side plank each side (1 min. rest between sides)

5/28
No training session

Daily Push-ups: 61
Daily Pull-ups: 14

What can I say?
My training’s been on and off, I don’t know, I just don’t know what to focus my efforts towards.

I haven’t posted, cause I don’t know, I just don’t know what I’m aiming for. I want to compete in something, but I’m too weak for any strength sports right now. I’m not sure what I’d want to compete in if I was stronger.

Something that’s always interested me is gymnastic skills. I think right now I’m just going to try and get stronger and at the same time try to get a handstand down.
I just want to be consistent for the rest of the summer.

I am doing the Armstrong Pull-up Program right now to get my push-up and pull-up numbers up.

Here were today’s numbers for that:
Armstrong Push-ups: 41, 39, (no time for 3rd set)
Armstrong Pull-ups (9 training set day…60 sec rest):
Pull-ups: 4,4,4,
Close as possible grip Chin-ups: 4,4,4,
Pull-ups: 4,4,4,

Pull-ups were easy, will definitely be able to do 5 reps each next week.

The Y isn’t open tomorrow so I will do the Armstrong stuff and also handstand push-ups, ab wheel work, and a 5 minute burpee challenge.

6/29
Armstrong Push-ups: 39, 34, 35
Handstands: 5…times are improving
5 minute burpee challenge: 59

6/30
Strength Session

A. Pistols (a little assisted): 5 X 3LR

B. Partial Standing Ab Wheel Rollouts: 5 X 3

C1. HSPU’s with feet against wall: 5 X 3

C2. Weighted (Books in backpack) Chin-Ups:: 5 X 3

Rest times were 90 sec for A, 2 mins for B, and 1 min between the C’s.
Was able to do my first unassisted pistol today.
Taking 2 days off the pull-ups and push-ups cause my numbers are decreasing.