T Nation

Having Your Pet Spade or Neutered

So I am taking my dog to get his balls cut off today and it might be b/c I am so attached to mine but I feel bad for him. True story;

Saturday after the ECU game me and a buch of friends went out and got fairly drunk. Well we end up going back to my place to hang out. My dog is in his cage chill’en and I go over to pet him and my Best Friend is like "Josh, Man! Quite sucking your dogs dick. I turn to him and say “But he disserves it man!! He’s getting his balls cut off next week!” My GF looks at me like…did you really just say that… then we just all start laughing our asses off.

Any way, I cant be the only one who has ever felt bad b4 getting their pet spade or neutered…am I?

No, you’re not alone. The three dogs I’ve owned in my adult life were spayed or neutered, and I didn’t like it one bit. I just didn’t like the idea of removing body parts. I remember thinking, why don’t they give the males a vasectomy, and let them keep their nuts?

I suppose there’s some truth to ultimately saving lives by reducing the amount of strays, but still…

Funny thing, the cats I have that were spayed or neutered, didn’t really give that a second thought. Hmmm.

It is actually much healthier in the long run… you avoid testicular cancer and greatly lessen the risk of prostate problems in males, and you drastically lessen the potential for mammary cancer in females and eliminate the chance of pyometra (infected uterus). Males don’t get the urge to wander looking for a mate, and females really are happier not going through heat, so it makes for a more stable animal all round.

Don’t feel bad, you are doing the right thing. There are millions of unwanted animals that are euthanized every year and you’re doing something to help that problem, too.

It may be difficult not to project our emotions/instincts on our animals, but it’s better for them if we don’t. Your dog will still be a male and he will be a better companion.

[quote]sluicy wrote:
It is actually much healthier in the long run… you avoid testicular cancer and greatly lessen the risk of prostate problems in males, and you drastically lessen the potential for mammary cancer in females and eliminate the chance of pyometra (infected uterus). Males don’t get the urge to wander looking for a mate, and females really are happier not going through heat, so it makes for a more stable animal all round.

Don’t feel bad, you are doing the right thing. There are millions of unwanted animals that are euthanized every year and you’re doing something to help that problem, too.

It may be difficult not to project our emotions/instincts on our animals, but it’s better for them if we don’t. Your dog will still be a male and he will be a better companion.[/quote]

Thanks, I didnt even think about preventing cancer but I guess thats just one of those things we try to ignor.

He is a rescued dog too, when we went to adopt a dog my GF just cryed and cryed b/c she felt so bad for all the dogs there. I will always tell ppl to adopt b4 they go to a breader for the rest of my life b/c of this dog. I wouldnt give him up for anything.

I want to get another one but I just dont have the space…but when I do Im going to have a whole pack =)

I volunteer for SPCA in my area. It is heartbreaking to see so many unwanted animals. SPCA nueters and/or spays any animal before adoption takes place.
For those who are feeling sorry for Spot prior to losing 1/2 of his package - rest assured, he doesn’t know what he is missing. Animals mate for the sole purpose of reproducing. They don’t have incredible mind blowing orgasms, and, in fact do not experience the pleasure that we humans do. It is merely a bodily function. On the same note - animals cannot reason. Spot is never going to muse - “gee, I really miss my balls” :>)

[quote]Geminspector wrote:
I volunteer for SPCA in my area. It is heartbreaking to see so many unwanted animals. SPCA nueters and/or spays any animal before adoption takes place.
For those who are feeling sorry for Spot prior to losing 1/2 of his package - rest assured, he doesn’t know what he is missing. Animals mate for the sole purpose of reproducing. They don’t have incredible mind blowing orgasms, and, in fact do not experience the pleasure that we humans do. It is merely a bodily function. On the same note - animals cannot reason. Spot is never going to muse - “gee, I really miss my balls” :>)[/quote]

How can you really be sure of this? There has to be some sort of pleasure to it, otherwise, what is driving the urge? Why the documented homosexuality in animals? Why does Fido want to hump my pant-leg? There has to be some pleasure involved.

DB

You permanently alter a pet’s personality when you do this. I think it’s a cruel practice and the need for it is highly overrated; just a quick way for the vets to make a buck.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
Geminspector wrote:
For those who are feeling sorry for Spot prior to losing 1/2 of his package - rest assured, he doesn’t know what he is missing. Animals mate for the sole purpose of reproducing. They don’t have incredible mind blowing orgasms, and, in fact do not experience the pleasure that we humans do. It is merely a bodily function. On the same note - animals cannot reason. Spot is never going to muse - “gee, I really miss my balls” :>)

How can you really be sure of this? There has to be some sort of pleasure to it, otherwise, what is driving the urge? Why the documented homosexuality in animals? Why does Fido want to hump my pant-leg? There has to be some pleasure involved.

DB[/quote]

I get the urge to hump your leg too.

I’m not really sure why either.

I guess I’ll be going against the grain of what most people say on this thread.

I have an 80lb pit bull/boxer mix, and I absolutely refuse to neuter him. My vet knew this and informed me that he could get testicular cancer if he’s not neutered, and he left at that.

I, too, can get testicular cancer and die. But I’m not going to chop my balls off in order to prevent this possibility.

While there is a possibility that he’ll try to escape to find a female in heat, I don’t think it’s very likely, especially considering that he stays inside while I’m away from home. (Hell, he doesn’t even like to go outside unless I’m out there too).

Also, I’m pretty damn certain a dog knows when his 'nads are chopped off. It is true though that he probably won’t care - likely because he’s too docile at that point to really do anything about it.

Lastly, if my dog were the type to continually escape, I’d find a place that would give him a vasectomy. I’m sure that this isn’t the most economical option, by a long shot, but there’s just something wrong with lobbing off a pair of testicles, simply for the sake of “preventive medicine”.

[quote]Mister T. wrote:
I guess I’ll be going against the grain of what most people say on this thread.

I have an 80lb pit bull/boxer mix, and I absolutely refuse to neuter him. My vet knew this and informed me that he could get testicular cancer if he’s not neutered, and he left at that.

I, too, can get testicular cancer and die. But I’m not going to chop my balls off in order to prevent this possibility.

While there is a possibility that he’ll try to escape to find a female in heat, I don’t think it’s very likely, especially considering that he stays inside while I’m away from home. (Hell, he doesn’t even like to go outside unless I’m out there too).

Also, I’m pretty damn certain a dog knows when his 'nads are chopped off. It is true though that he probably won’t care - likely because he’s too docile at that point to really do anything about it.

Lastly, if my dog were the type to continually escape, I’d find a place that would give him a vasectomy. I’m sure that this isn’t the most economical option, by a long shot, but there’s just something wrong with lobbing off a pair of testicles, simply for the sake of “preventive medicine”.
[/quote]

I’m no animal psychologist, but I don’t think animals, dogs specifically, suffer from the same vanity issues we do. If we lose a limb, we go through depression, counseling, etc, just to deal with the loss and try and be ‘normal’ again. Animals aren’t like that. They are incredibly resilient, so to speak, and deal with the hand they are dealt. Three legged dogs, ball-less dogs, uterus-less dogs, et al, just adapt and go on living.

That being said, though, when my rottie developed cancer in her right front shoulder, I didn’t agree to amputation. I just couldn’t do it. My own hang-ups…

try having a 140 lb Great Dane on the rag, you’ll quickly change your mind about whether or not to do it.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
.[/quote]

Bob Barker? I don’t get it.

I think it’s probably a little more unfair to a bitch to not have her spayed, unless you plan on breeding her. After all, they go into heat, which is uncomfortable for them, whereas males just launch the pink missile from time to time (which happens even after they’ve been fixed).

Male cats, on the other hand, will spray if they’re not fixed, and this just plain sucks for the owner.

DB

[quote]5.0 wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:

Bob Barker? I don’t get it. [/quote]

At the end of EVERY Price is Right, he tells the audience not to forget to have their pet spade or neutered.

Haven’t you fools ever seen The Price is Right?!?

When I had my male lab fixed they just snipped the vas deferens (sp?) and my dog still has his balls. Same with my cats.

I actually didn’t ask my vet to do that, it was just what he did. I had expected my dog to have his balls cut off.

But I do think if you aren’t breeding an animal it is something you really should consider.

and dogs get out, they get loose, things happen.

I always get my cats spayed or neutered

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
5.0 wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:

Bob Barker? I don’t get it.

At the end of EVERY Price is Right, he tells the audience not to forget to have their pet spade or neutered.

Haven’t you fools ever seen The Price is Right?!?[/quote]

The price is WRONG, bitch!

Nah, kidding.

Now that you mention it, yes, I do. I’m sorry I missed that. Damn.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

When I had my male lab fixed they just snipped the vas deferens (sp?) and my dog still has his balls. Same with my cats.

I actually didn’t ask my vet to do that, it was just what he did. I had expected my dog to have his balls cut off.

[/quote]

Sweet! And in Cali, of all places…

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
You permanently alter a pet’s personality when you do this. I think it’s a cruel practice and the need for it is highly overrated; just a quick way for the vets to make a buck.[/quote]

The “personality changes” are simply hormonal changes which effect different activity. For males, occasionally it simply takes the edge off, which does not at all mean they will perform worse if they are working dogs. But they will be calmer and more content in your home since they do not have a continual instinctual drive to roam and find a mate. And a heat cycle is not something that is pleasant for a domesticated female to experience. It triggers a release of hormones which contributes to the possibility of infection in the uterus which can easily be fatal if it’s not caught early on. It only benefits domesticated animals to be sterilized.

As for it being a cruel practice, unless you go to an unlicensed vet operating out of his garage, it’s very humane. They are under the same type of gas anesthesia used in human surgery, closely monitored, and given injectable pain medication even before they wake up. At the veterinarian where I used to work, we would send dogs home with a three days’ supply of pain medication. Most owners reported that their dogs did not even need them after the first one or two days, and in fact the majority had trouble keeping them as quiet as they needed to be a few days post-op, as the dogs were ready to play and run around as usual.

As for making a buck–a typical neuter for an average size dog ran around $200, $300 for a spay. The surgery for an older animal with possible testicular and/or prostate cancer was at least twice that, and emergency surgery (which it always is) on a female with pymoetra was nearly always over $1000. Veterinarians would make a lot more money if they encouraged their clients NOT to sterilize or vaccinate their pets.

[quote]Christine wrote:

I get the urge to hump your leg too.

I’m not really sure why either.
[/quote]

Wher can I sign up?

[quote]5.0 wrote:

Bob Barker? I don’t get it. [/quote]

Really?..he would always sing off “Have your Pets spade or Nutered”

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
You permanently alter a pet’s personality when you do this. I think it’s a cruel practice and the need for it is highly overrated; just a quick way for the vets to make a buck.[/quote]

Well mine was free, accept for the heart monitor($12), But having his hind due-claws removed will be $100-$150…might as well just kick me in the nuts