Having Trouble Sleeping Well

Figured I’d post this here: I’ve been having trouble sleeping well. Most nights I seem to wake up due to some sort of crap dream (waking up anxious or nervous) and the nights that I sleep all the way through I usually wake up feeling tired/sluggish.

But here’s the kicker: I haven’t noticed any real amount of fatique when lifting. My fast lifts are still explosive, and my strength lifts are still climbing. I’m about where I was before I got injured a couple months ago so progress has slowed a bit but I haven’t stalled on anything (running a bastardized 5x5 program on strength lifts). I feel like I haven’t been eating enough, but the fact that my energy level has stayed the same makes me think that isn’t quite the answer. And my weight hasn’t been dropping either (good thing).

So guys, any suggestions?

So what’s the problem? You admit that you’re doing fine except for sluggish feeling. There’s nothing wrong with waking up in the night between sleep cylces.

Part of the problem is it just isn’t normal for me. I’m usually a very heavy sleeper and usually sleep straight through for 8-10hrs. But now, like I said, when I sleep straight through I usually wake up 30-45min before I’m accustomed (I have the privilege of not needing to set an alarm so I just let myself wake up naturally) and when I don’t sleep straight through it usually isn’t just waking up once, I might wake up 4-5 times in a night.

The other problem is that it’s messing with the schedule I have set for school, lifts, sleep, eating. Whereas I used to eat right around 2 o’clock after I get out of class, I’m now taking a nap and yada yada yada.

I kind of expect to hear a couple responses of “adapt” or “get used to it and work around it” but I would prefer not to if I don’t have to.

Zinc…plus you get whacked out dreams.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Zinc…plus you get whacked out dreams. [/quote]

For real? I need to get on whatever brand of zinc you’re on lol. Zinc never did much for my sleep quality, even when I made a point if avoiding zinc supps with dicalcium phosphate.

I always though melatonin was one of the most underrated supps for lifting. It really does improve your sleep quality. I get best results when I mix controlled-release with the normal stuff.

[quote]chobbs wrote:

Get ZMA for the magnesium which should relax you and help you sleep better.

[quote]nkklllll wrote:
Part of the problem is it just isn’t normal for me. I’m usually a very heavy sleeper and usually sleep straight through for 8-10hrs. But now, like I said, when I sleep straight through I usually wake up 30-45min before I’m accustomed (I have the privilege of not needing to set an alarm so I just let myself wake up naturally) and when I don’t sleep straight through it usually isn’t just waking up once, I might wake up 4-5 times in a night.

The other problem is that it’s messing with the schedule I have set for school, lifts, sleep, eating. Whereas I used to eat right around 2 o’clock after I get out of class, I’m now taking a nap and yada yada yada.

I kind of expect to hear a couple responses of “adapt” or “get used to it and work around it” but I would prefer not to if I don’t have to.[/quote]
How long does it take to fall back to sleep after the awakenings? Either way, first thing is to stop napping; second thing is to stop worrying about it as that alone will make it worse. It might just be a phase or if there have been other changes (sleeping in a new environment, stress, etc.) then that’s likely the cause.

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

Get ZMA for the magnesium which should relax you and help you sleep better.[/quote]

^^this…zinc and magnesium 1 hr before bed. Force yourself to avoid naps. Make sure your room is completely dark and t.v., computer etc. is powered off.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

For real? I need to get on whatever brand of zinc you’re on lol. Zinc never did much for my sleep quality, even when I made a point if avoiding zinc supps with dicalcium phosphate.

I always though melatonin was one of the most underrated supps for lifting. It really does improve your sleep quality. I get best results when I mix controlled-release with the normal stuff.[/quote]
I’ll take melatonin if it’s a Saturday night and can sleep in until 11 the next day lol

What’s your caffeine intake like?

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

I always though melatonin was one of the most underrated supps for lifting. It really does improve your sleep quality. I get best results when I mix controlled-release with the normal stuff.[/quote]
I’ll take melatonin if it’s a Saturday night and can sleep in until 11 the next day lol[/quote]

Same here. Stuff knocks me out with crazy dreams and I’m groggy the next day. If there’s ever a time I want 12+ hours of sleep though, I know how to do it.

That’s even with adjusting the dosing… I just can’t get it right.

Magnesium though, that helps me sleep better.

i dont drink much, if any caffeine.

thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

How are your stress levels?

Z12

http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/z-12

I take diazepam for sleeping problems. I don’t need it to sleep any more, but once in a while it helps. The stuff I also find helps:
red bush tea
milk -like, lots of milk.
soup- those cup o’ soup things work a treat for this purpose
If all else fails, a bloody good wank.

Been taking “airborne” (primarily a vitamin c supplement) because I was feeling tired so I was hoping to give my immune system some help and just noticed that since I’ve been taking it I’ve been sleeping a little better. Turns out that it has zinc and magnesium sulfate in it. Just an update. I do appreciate the help and suggestions guys.