T Nation

Having Trouble Gaining More Muscle

I used to weigh 120lbs (6â??3) now 8 months later I weigh 150lbs (6â??3). But I reached 158lbs in July.. I look like Iâ??ve had progress since July but it doesnâ??t show when I weigh myself... I lift weights every other day and I take in at least 100g of protein. To be honest I donâ??t think Iâ??m lifting much more than I was in July.

All I wanted was to reach 150lbs so I can join the militaryâ?¦ but now I just canâ??t seem to gain any more weight. When I gained 30lbs in 3 months I was still in school and I would drink a protein shake for breakfast, eat McDonalds in school, come home eat lunch, take another protein 2 hours later, work out, take another protein shake, eat dinner and go to sleep..

Now I Pretty much do the same thing except go to McDonalds..Donâ??t tell me the problem is not eating McDonalds lol.. I workout at my house and never had any real tips from anyoneâ?¦ so Iâ??m all ears :slight_smile:

Woah i shouldnt of pasted that lol.. seemed to glitch a little. Oh and i have a really fucking high metabolism lol

I'm not sure what you want here, everyone's just going to tell you to eat more. Replace that Mcdick's meal you're not having anymore with something substantial obviously. You may want to count your calories you get an idea of what you're taking in daily (it's probably not as much as you think it is).

Also be patient, this shit takes time.

Good luck

eat food (dont just drink protein shakes), and lift weights so you dont become a tub of lard while trying to make weight for the military

It may SEEM like you're eating a lot of food, but I've found that really skinny guys (I was one of them) don't actually realize how little they're eating until they start counting calories for a while.
The average scoop of protein powder is only 120-150kcal. And if you're not gaining weight, then you're not eating enough food. Add an actual meal on top of each of those protein shakes and you'll probably start seeing results.

First off, double your protein (at least).

Before you get flamed here for that post: Most people don't realize HOW MUCH food it takes to grow. 100g protein is not near enough...shoot for 1.5g protein per lb of bodyweight.

Pretty much everyone on these boards is eating, bare minimum, 3500 calories per day. Your body doesn't suck at growing, you aren't feeding it enough.

Sorry man, you've got to eat. I spend 4 years at 150-160 thinking I ate a lot. Everyone here told me no. So now, I am 190 and still gaining - but eating constantly. I eat between every client - once an hour.

If you are still eating the same as you did when you initially gained the weight, you need to eat more. You have eaten enough to acquire that mass, but now you are only eating enough to fuel that new mass.

Oh thanks guys.. guess I gotta find the fatty within me. What about exercises? All I've been reading around the net is for skinny guys to do compound exercises only.. How can you work every muscle in your body enough if there aren't that many compound exercises? I stuck with pushups, pull ups, sit ups, bicept curls and etc. for a while so I wouldnâ??t die in boot camp

A - your goal is to 1) make weight for boot camp, 2) be fit enough to complete said boot camp.
find out what tests you will be required to do at boot camp, then train to pass those

Oh yeah I've looked into that. I wanted to go into Aviation Rescue Simmers (AIRR) in the future, and their qualification is Swim 500 yards in 12 minutes, rest for 10 minutes, 35 pushups in 2 minutes, rest for 2 minutes, 50 sit ups in 2 minutes, rest for 2 minutes, 2 pull ups (I can do 6+) and then run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes.

I can complete that qualification except for swimming since I have no way to find out if I can complete that part or train for it right now, but I ive been swimming since I was born. So I guess I'll be doing that on my second job. Their qualification is similar to Navy Seals, but staying in the navy seals training is a WHOLE different story lol

Are you sure that those are the qualifications? you would have to be extremely out of shape to fail that.

I know right? But it's on the navy's website.. but training for AIRR does take 2 years so idk

Yea those standards are insanely easy. Almost 2.5 minutes per 100 yards will NOT be hard for you to accomplish, so don't be afraid to keep putting on weight.
Also, compound exercises are great, but there's nothing wrong with isolation work. Which is lucky for you, because bicep curls aren't a compound movement lol.
If you've just been doing mostly bodyweight exercises, start adding in actual weight training. It will make the weight gain easier.

Double Rainbow-from your exercise selection it sounds like you may not be working out at a gym, is that correct?

If so, you could buy a bar and some weights on craigslist for $50 and add deadlifts to your routine. That alone would add a lot of mass.

Here was my old college plan that helped me go from 130 to 170 in a year back in 1999. (Damn I miss college!)

PULL:
Deadlifts 5 sets of 5
Chins 5 sets of 6
Seated cable rows -4 sets of 12

PUSH:
Incline Bar Bench 5 sets of 5
Close grip bench press 4 sets of 12
Dips 5 sets AMRAP

LEGS
Squats 5 sets 10 reps
Leg curl 5 sets 6 reps
Calves

Also WHAT do you eat at mcdonalds? A happy meal? (10 grams of protein lol) 4 grilled chicken sandwiches throwing away 3 of the buns? (This is prob closer to what you should do)

Mcdonalds has a big menu...give us some details.

LOL nah I used to eat angus bacon meal every dayyy.. and I work out at home with a couple machines I've bought, I can do many different exercises I'm just an idiot and havenâ??t been doing much compound
I get it now ill just have to eat a meal like every hour, take in twice as much protein as I'm taking right now and start doing compounds. I was about to post an exercise routine I found and then I saw that you posted one lol, thanks. I don't get the pull and push reference and would I do pull on like Monday for example and then push on Wednesday and legs on tursday?

It just means that the muscles involved with pushing movements are chest/shoulders/tri's and pulling movements use the back muscles and biceps.

You could do this:

Monday: Back and Biceps
Tuesday: Legs
x
Thursday:Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Friday: Legs
Weekend off.

I think eating every hour may be tough, but aim for that and if you miss by a little you'll still be totally set.

And my advice would be to NEVER, EVER eat french fries. Some may disagree but you can live without them and get something of nutritional value in there instead. Get some yogurt, salad, grilled chicken sandwich or anything else. You can go to Wendys and get Chili as a side. =)

Wow thanks a lot :slight_smile:
Really appreciate it guys