Having Surgery: V-Diet or Calories?

Ive got 2 ops coming up, one on my nose will keep from doing any physical for 2 weeks & 6 weeks before i can do any resistance training. Your opinion: do i need calories to repair or v-diet (or similar) to stay lean?

I would say that depends on how much muscle you are carrying?

Depends on what your goals are, but I wouldn’t do v-diet in your situation. Perhaps a low-carb with some fruits and lots of veggies, if you don’t mind losing a bit of muscle along with the fat.

Ive got boxing match at <69kgs (light middle) on May 7, surgery about a week after that. Im 5ft 7, apx 9% bodyfat…

No surgeon would tell you to do the fucking V-Diet while recovering from surgery.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
No surgeon would tell you to do the fucking V-Diet while recovering from surgery.[/quote]

Im thinking about running the V-diet up to the day of surgery…

No surgeon would tell you to do the fucking V-Diet while recovering from surgery.[/quote]
exactly

[quote]sjfou wrote:
Professor X wrote:
No surgeon would tell you to do the fucking V-Diet while recovering from surgery.

Im thinking about running the V-diet up to the day of surgery…[/quote]

Why? Why would you cause your body to be in a deficit right before a major insult that will cause all catabolic hormones to shoot through the roof? Is the goal to lose muscle mass on purpose?

This is coming from someone who regularly gives post surgical advice to patients and who actually does surgeries on patients. Any doctor who knows what they are doing is going to recommend that you increase your carb intake post surgery and, speaking as a bodybuilder, the last thing you would want to do is cause your body to be that depleted right before surgery.

sjfou wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Why? Why would you cause your body to be in a deficit right before a major insult that will cause all catabolic hormones to shoot through the roof? Is the goal to lose muscle mass on purpose?

This is coming from someone who regularly gives post surgical advice to patients and who actually does surgeries on patients. Any doctor who knows what they are doing is going to recommend that you increase your carb intake post surgery and, speaking as a bodybuilder, the last thing you would want to do is cause your body to be that depleted right before surgery.[/quote]

The Prof knows his stuff when it comes to surgery. If you want further verification, ask your doctor. I’m sure he would agree that it would be a pretty hideous idea to combine the two extreme stresse (surgery and V-Diet) to your body.

sjfou wrote:
Professor X wrote:

This is coming from someone who regularly gives post surgical advice to patients and who actually does surgeries on patients. Any doctor who knows what they are doing is going to recommend that you increase your carb intake post surgery and, speaking as a bodybuilder, the last thing you would want to do is cause your body to be that depleted right before surgery.[/quote]

Cheers, above response is exactly why i asked.

Make sure you continue to eat lots of healthy foods after surgery, too. Your body needs the nutrients and energy to heal well and quickly. This is also not the time to “diet”.

Edit: Sorry, that was also mentioned above. I’ve had a long weekend and am now going to bed. Tomorrow I’ll try to post a link to an interesting article about nutrition and surgery.

Nutrition And Wound Healing
By James Collier BSc (Hons)

Somebody sent me this link last year before I had my surgery and I found it helpful.

AMEN!

Seriously, even heavy Low carb proponents LIKE the DRs. EADES who wrote protein power. REcomend NOT
being in a carb restricted state post surgary.

I say eat balanced, eat often, and enjoy yourself while resting.

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
Nutrition And Wound Healing
By James Collier BSc (Hons)

Somebody sent me this link last year before I had my surgery and I found it helpful.
[/quote]

Cheers