Having Problems With ABBH

I cant really do that many pullups or front squats. Would it be okay to substite the lat pulldown machine and back squats? I know they work the body differently

Yes on the pull downs NO drop the load on the front squat. Do back squats some other time.

A great option for the chins as well is using a band to take some of your weight off as well if you have them

Phill

If you have access to an assisted pullup machine, use that as well. Use only the amount of assistance necessary to get the pullups done. Don’t make it easy.

On the front squats, I agree with Phil. Use less weight. But don’t make it easy.

-folly

Its the exeercises/movements we SUCK at or dont like that will usually give us the bigges payback and progress.

Just a little note

Attack them and make them a strength

Phill

[quote]Deadend66 wrote:
I cant really do that many pullups or front squats. Would it be okay to substite the lat pulldown machine and back squats? I know they work the body differently[/quote]

I’m reading a print out of the workout ABBH I, I assume and it asks for chin-ups instead of pullups. Stick with front squats. Instead of pullups or chin-ups, there’s this exercise you can try called reverse pushup, where for example, grab the bar of the smith machine for instance and pull yourself up touching the top of your chest. Stick with abbh as it is and you’ll be happy with the results.

jet

[quote]Phill wrote:
Its the exeercises/movements we SUCK at or dont like that will usually give us the bigges payback and progress.

Just a little note

Phill[/quote]

That might be so but front squats are not an option. They are a health risk for me because, of a rib related condition I have.

Hehe, I can’t do 10 hanging pikes. I can do 4 at the beginning but then I do leg raises and contract my abs as much as possible. The CT workout (for babehounds) seems to hit my abs much harder which I’m doing on off days. I’ll keep at it though because, like one of the posters said, it’s the shit you don’t like which gives ya the best gains.

[quote]Deadend66 wrote:
Phill wrote:

Just a little note

Phill

That might be so but front squats are not an option. They are a health risk for me because, of a rib related condition I have.
[/quote]

Well you didn’t say that above did you? Don’t expect us to be mind-readers. Also- what “rib related condition” do you have that would prevent front squats? Do you rest the bar on your ribs?

If you really can’t do front squats due to a medical condition don’t do them. Back squats would be better than nothing in this case. Or you could try some overhead squats. Doesn’t work the same mechanisms, but would be a good addition regardless.

Or, how about dumbbell suitcase style squats?

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:

I’m reading a print out of the workout ABBH I, I assume and it asks for chin-ups instead of pullups. Stick with front squats. Instead of pullups or chin-ups, there’s this exercise you can try called reverse pushup, where for example, grab the bar of the smith machine for instance and pull yourself up touching the top of your chest. Stick with abbh as it is and you’ll be happy with the results.

jet[/quote]

The smith machine exercise you’re talking about, is it like an inverted row, with your feet out in front of you? If you let go of the bar would you be lying on your back? If this is the exercise I’m thinking of, it would be more of a horizontal pull than a vertical pull, which might not be the best replacement for chins. What do you think?

[quote]BlakeAE wrote:
Or, how about dumbbell suitcase style squats?[/quote]

Yeah can you do squats with the dumbbells resting on your shoulders??? What rib condition?

-chris

[quote]smallnomore wrote:
Jetric9 wrote:

jet

The smith machine exercise you’re talking about, is it like an inverted row, with your feet out in front of you? If you let go of the bar would you be lying on your back? If this is the exercise I’m thinking of, it would be more of a horizontal pull than a vertical pull, which might not be the best replacement for chins. What do you think?[/quote]

Fatman pull-ups.

My sternum curves in. When I do front squats it puts preasure on my already caved in sternum. What are hanging pikes. I couldn’t find how to do them anywhere.

If you can’t do front squats, you could try back squats with a 25lb plate under each heel. It distributes the weight a little more on the quads than “normal” back squats, but not as much as front squats. If it doesn’t bother your sternum, that might be a good compromise.