Having Knee Problems

How do you all combat knee soreness with squatting and sprinting? As I’ve gotten older, I’ve been having more trouble out of a surgically repaired knee (operated on in high school). I went to a ortho and his advice was to stop squatting and running.

WHAT! So basically don’t do what hurts? What kind of crap advice is that?

What do you all suggest?

Pederson step-ups are what is usually recommended, but I find them boring as all hell. I use backward sled dragging, making sure you get complete extension of the knee and ankle. Walking up-hill backwards does the same thing but you’ll get some strange looks from people. I guess people think this is not normal behavior.
The knee extension action is basically the same in all 3 movements. Anytime my knees start to “feel tender”, it’s because I’ve been slackin’.

TNT

I would suggest to get your squatting form checked by somebody trustable and your sprinting technique checked by a good track coach. On another note, olympic back and front squats give me more pain in the knees than low bar PL squat…

[quote]HogLover wrote:
How do you all combat knee soreness with squatting and sprinting? As I’ve gotten older, I’ve been having more trouble out of a surgically repaired knee (operated on in high school). I went to a ortho and his advice was to stop squatting and running.

What do you all suggest?[/quote]

If something hurts, that’s probably your body not liking what you’re doing to it.

And if you don’t agree with what tht doctor said, go look for a second opinion. We don’t know what hapened with your knee. So we’re in no position to give advice.

Are you taking glucosamine?

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
HogLover wrote:

What do you all suggest?

If something hurts, that’s probably your body not liking what you’re doing to it.

And if you don’t agree with what tht doctor said, go look for a second opinion. We don’t know what hapened with your knee. So we’re in no position to give advice.

Are you taking glucosamine?[/quote]

Yeah, I’m taking glucosamine.