Having Education

[quote]orion wrote:
He wants to “provide functional understanding” to all people. I am arguing that everyone who wants “functional understanding” has access to it.[/quote]

I am arguing not that there AREN’T resources currently available, rather they aren’t ideal (although getting better with the internet), and they lack credibility in the real world.

But mainly I’m advocating that compulsory education is counterproductive to the goals of education–it has taken on a role other than what it was meant for.

Abolishing typical six-hour classroom education is a good start to changing the perception.

[quote]You cannot make someone learn anything, either they want to or they don´t and if you spend 10 times then amount you spend now, some still won´t want too.
[/quote]

I whole heartedly agree. Which is why we need to simply provide opportunities and show people the value of certain skills and information (via the practical challenges like the camps I referred to in the original post) and then leave it up to them if and how they want to learn, giving guidance only as requested.

[quote]Fiction wrote:
NealRaymond2 wrote:
Fiction wrote:
NealRaymond2 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Education is necessary for the development of everyone; however, not everyone needs the same type or level of education.

Agree.

Some people could get by with just enough knowledge to push a broom.

I don’t quite agree with this. For persons unsuited to higher education, I would like to see some kind of happy medium in between “A” and “B”:

A) giving them just enough knowledge to push a broom

B) spending tens of thousands of dollars to give them advanced courses where they can get B+'s with virtually no understanding of the material

In fact, I believe that somewhere around the early-to-mid- twentieth century most of the USA had achieved something reasonably close to such a happy medium.

I’m not sure why you would be even remotely interested in getting to B.

Reading is fundamental. I said I would like to see some kind of happy medium IN BETWEEN “A” and “B”.

“B” is what happens when educational “progress” is measured entirely according to the population’s educational credentials.

Right, which is why I don’t understand why you’d want a happy medium between functional knowledge and expensive lack of understanding. Why not provide functional knowledge to everyone who wants it?[/quote]

Ok, I expressed myself poorly and I misinterpreted your response. I don’t really want something that is literally a mixture of “A” and “B”.

I am in favor of minimal state-and/or-local-tax-supported liberal arts education for persons unsuited to higher education: with dis-inflated credentials; more realistic curricula; and more realistic testing of achievement.

[quote]NealRaymond2 wrote:
I am in favor of minimal state-and/or-local-tax-supported liberal arts education for persons unsuited to higher education:[/quote]

Who would those people be and how would they be suited for liberal arts education?

Testing should come from employers or accrediting agencies, not schools or the government.

Employers or accrediting institutions can provide the most skill-specific testing available and hence the most relevant. However, I have no problems with credentialing or testing, so long as it is relevant and non-compulsory.