Having Doubts Whether Able to Compete?

i am a 17 year old guy who will be competing in Olympic weightlifting in the near future,however i was diagnosed with an illness bone marrow hypoplasia(which means that my haemoglobin,red blood cells and white blood cells levels were sightly below the normal range) about a year ago…as a result,i was put on some medication…

oxymetholone 50mg 5 times a week
prednisolone 5mg 5 times a week
omeprazole 40mg five times a week

can u all give me some answers whether am i still able to compete?thanks

Firstly, what does your MD say?

Secondly, if you lift regularly and intensely now (which I assume you must if you plan to compete in the “near future”) and are having no issues, then why would you expect to have issues during competition?

Ahh, I see your problem…

Best to ask the sanctioning body of the competitions you plan to enter, I would think.

my MD says that these medicine would not have an impact on my performance however according to the international weightlifting federation the drug oxymetholone is a ban substance and according to the net oxymetholone is an anabolic steroid…

can I request a letter from my MD stating that these medication are for medical purposes only and not for enhancing performance?Would be really disappointing if I am not able to take part after putting so much hard work…

Does your doctor know that you compete in a tested sport? If you can provide him the list of banned substances, he MAY be able to work w/you to find acceptable alternatives.

IWF rule 4.4 deals with this. You need to contact the IWF and ask for a Therapeutic Use Exemption form. Whether or not you’ll be approved to lift is another matter, but that’s what you need to do. If you’re granted the exemption then the IWF will contact WADA and your national federation.

Go with ninearms, get the form and fill it in.

When I’ve had to fill in the form there is a section that asks you to state any medicines your on. If you state them and have the TUE forms your fine. Also the chance of getting tested when you start out is slim to none. It’s only when you start winning at regional/ national level comps you will get tested. I haven’t been tested in ages due to some lacklustre lifting LOL!

11kg on to your total in 2yrs baby!

Koing

oic… but where can i get the form?

I think pages 19 and on will have what you need:
http://www.iwf.net/doc/antidoping/WADA_ISTUE_2010_EN.pdf

Are you in the US? What are your numbers like in your weight class? Unless you are qualifying for national meets, you won’t be tested and this may be a moot point for a while.

[quote]Dr. Manhattan wrote:
Are you in the US? What are your numbers like in your weight class? Unless you are qualifying for national meets, you won’t be tested and this may be a moot point for a while.[/quote]

Even if you compete at the Nationals, if you don’t come 1st or 2nd you won’t get tested also!

Well, may get tested if you came 3rd…but the top guy will get tested.

Koing