T Nation

Having An Ego: Good Or Bad?

Is having an ego a bad thing or a good thing?
the whole bill phillips hubris thing got me thinking about this.

Having an ego is good.Having an ego without boundries is bad.Having an ego that is too tightly bound,or malformed is also considered detrimental.Carl Jung and Eric Erickson wrote some great stuff on ego developement. If you are realy curious about some of the fundamentals of most ego theories, there is a good place to start.Them and Freud, but I’m warry about mentioning his name 'cause the thread might turn into a “Frued was an asshole” arguement.

hubris is about being controlled by your ego to your own premature demise.

Eggos are my favorite waffles.

Read Ayn Rand

I second that the waffles are good.
oh you said ego.

It’s all about balance. Like anything else to much is not good.

too much too bad, too little detrimental also.

read Ayn Rand is a good point. Personally read, “Atlas Shrugged”. Its one of those books that can change ur whole perspective on shit.

-Xen

It’s like religion, it’s all about what you do with it.

I’d say that ego by itself is a bad thing. You must keep it restrained by humility, integrity, and tact. There is nothing more annoying than someone with a huge ego, but no restraint. Then again, those with huge egos balanced by the right restraints can be very charismatic.

I’m assuming we’ll all agree here that Bill Phillips is a good example of having too much ego, too unbalanced, etc . . . and yet has the life dreams are made of.

That’s the issue.

I second reading rand, just be careful with her. She tells people so much they need to hear that it’s easy to accept everything she says. Her philosophy is not as perfect as she builds it up to be but I think it is something everyone must read.

As for ego, even if you have utmost confidence in yourself, you can’t be right about everything and you must accept that your ideas could be flipped on their heads at a moment’s notice, which I believe is necessary. Funny thing is it is hard to see when your ego is controlling you in an irrational matter, you just kind of have to keep broadening your knowledge and in time you will see (some sooner than others).

[quote]NateN wrote:
I’m assuming we’ll all agree here that Bill Phillips is a good example of having too much ego, too unbalanced, etc . . . and yet has the life dreams are made of.

That’s the issue.[/quote]

There are many, many worse than Bill Phillips. In fact, when it comes to the top 100 he probably would not even be close. Sit back and think about some of the celebrities and politicians that you see.

Do you think Arnold, for example, has a smaller ego than Bill Phillips?

that waffle comment is some seriously funny shit.
however, I did mean ego, not eggo.
Nate, I think you nailed my question on the head. Please expound upon your idea.

Ego is a bad thing, because all sin begins with pride.

[quote]NateN wrote:
I’m assuming we’ll all agree here that Bill Phillips is a good example of having too much ego, too unbalanced, etc . . . and yet has the life dreams are made of.[/quote]

Does he? How long can the the sole pursuit of the pleasures of extreme wealth truly satisfy? How long can one live a life of hedonistic material exploits before it becomes, in the words of Solomon, “all just vanity and grasping for the wind”? Not, by the way, that extreme wealth is necessarily a BAD thing, either, it just has to be kept in perspective…

thanks nate!

[quote]bandgeek wrote:

Does he? How long can the the sole pursuit of the pleasures of extreme wealth truly satisfy? How long can one live a life of hedonistic material exploits before it becomes, in the words of Solomon, “all just vanity and grasping for the wind”? Not, by the way, that extreme wealth is necessarily a BAD thing, either, it just has to be kept in perspective… [/quote]

Good point. We don’t know. I propose that I should be given obscene amounts of money, have fitness models thrown at me, and I shall find out!

:wink:

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
too much too bad, too little detrimental also.

read Ayn Rand is a good point. Personally read, “Atlas Shrugged”. Its one of those books that can change ur whole perspective on shit.

-Xen[/quote]

The humanity!!! OH, the HUMANITY!!!

Please don’t read Ayn Rand.

Being great and thinking you’re great is great. Being great and thinking you’re lame is lame. Being lame and thinking you’re lame is lame, but at least it’s honest. Being lame and thinking you’re great is delusional and irritating.

Read Aristotle’s Nicomachean Ethics instead. Rand is Philosophy Lite, and inconsistent to boot.