T Nation

Having Ab Troubles

Hello, I've been working out for a year now. I was 235lbs. when I first started, and I'm at 185lbs. My major troubles are with my arms, where I have lots of flab, my abs, and my inner thigh. If anyone could give me some tips on those areas, I am willing to listen. My diet is the AD diet. My workouts are the P90X, Billy Bootcamp, and Denise Austin. Please, HELP!

Unfortunaly you cant target fat loss from specific areas, but if you stick with your diet and training in time it will come off.

Here are some things that helped me:

1) When using the AD for cutting, shorter, cleaner carb-ups are the way to go. Some fifteen year-old kids with metabolisms like a rabid chihuahua mainlining meth while having sex to 120BPM Drum&Bass can do a good cut on a 36 hour carb-up. They probably already handle carbs well, so screw them. Short and clean gets it done.

2) Fish-oil is serious business. If you can, up your dose. I've found that double/triple-dosing Flameout is a great way to straight-up piss money and fat down the drain at the same time (though, for the record, the money ends up in the grubby little hands of Tim Patterson and the fat ends up... probably in someone's soap). It's expensive, which is why I only do it for short bursts, but it works.

3) This may seem kind of obvious, but if you're cheating on your diet, stop. Plan your cheats out and keep records. That way, if something works, you know what you did differently. And if something doesn't work, sometimes you know why.

4) Along the same line as #3, if you're not already planning and prepping your weekly food in advance, start. My fridge is stuffed full of tupperware containers with ready-to-eat meals. Takes the thinking out of it. So much simpler. Highly recommend.

5) I have no idea what P90X, Billy Bootcamp, or Denise Austin. Those sound vaguely like crossfit names. If you're a fan of using crossfit for fat-loss, PM a member here named... like, DebraD or something. She's totally smoking, and she accomplished much of it by crossfit. The routines I've used with a great deal of success is... well, pretty much Chad Waterbury's 'Waterbury Summer Project'. You can find it on this site, but honestly, the fastest way is to google 'T-Nation Waterbury Summer Project' and feel lucky. The principles of fat-loss are the same no matter what the program; eat less, exercise more. Some programs are planned better than others though, and I can vouch for the plans posted on this site.

6) Congratulations on your progress so far. You've dropped like, almost a quarter of your total body weight. That's actually pretty cool.

7) Like anfony mentioned above, if you try to target fat-loss in your arms, abs and thighs, stop. There's no such thing as point-specific fat-reduction, short of liposuction.

8) Sometimes your body needs a break from dieting for your thyroid and hormones to recover. Also, nothing improves your motivation like the hormone boost that comes from eating more. The break for me is about 12 weeks. I've done 16 week cuts, but the last four weeks I just wanted to kill someone. My workouts sucked, my motivation sucked, and I was kind of a huge douche to everyone I met. If you choose to transition off for some time, slowly add calories (100-250 kcal to your daily allotment) every week until you're back at baseline. Hang out at baseline for a month or so, and then get back to cutting with renewed vigor, a clearer mind, and happier hormone levels.

Hope this helps. Keep posting here with your questions.

Stick with your diet and you will get there!

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to try that.

Yep, fat loss is simply about calories in being less than calories out... anything more is small tweaks.

You keep losing overall fat and you'll eventually lost it on your 'problem areas', your body gets to decide where you lose the fat first, not you, nothing you can do about that.

So eat the right amount of the right healthy foods (keep protein high) and keep working out. You've already lost and IMPRESSIVE amount of weight so don't overthink it, keep what's working until it stops working. Eventually you may hit a point where your calorie intake is now what it takes to keep your body weight even with your current workouts (as you'll burn less calories over time with the same workouts, less weight means less calories burned). If you hit that point you can change it up then, lower carbs, lower calories, or up workouts.

Many here will recommend looking into resistance / weight training, I'm one of them. It'll help you lose fat, put on muscle which will burn more calories, and help you keep your goals long term... but right now you're doing well, keep it up.