T Nation

Haven't Lifted In a While

I haven’t touched a weight since a little before baseball started in early March. For inseason lifting, we perform 1x25 squats with about 65 pounds and continue to do the same with unproductively light weights for other useless isolation movements (for sport atleast), so I classify that as nothing.

Since the end of our season is quickly approaching, and I have a few possible scholorship opportunities that I will get a chance to fight for in late summer through the winter. Because of this, I plan to quit my job and focus fully on my training, nutrition, and progression. My list of things to do goes in this order:

• Finish season healthy
  • Get MRI done on throwing shoulder (common procedure)
  • Get fired from job
  • Start training

I have the first three set up or taken care of already, it’s the training that is left. I personally want to spend the first 12-16 weeks of my offseason doing nothing baseball specific except throwing and hitting so I can focus on adding more mass and maybe get a little faster.

This leads me to a few possibilties, which I have narrowed down to for training. Which leaves for flexibility for speed training, A beginners westside program, Starr’s 5x5, or is there another option I am not considering?

Joe Defrancos West side for skinny bastards might be perfect, also check eric cresseys off season manual

Phill

[quote]WildcatBaseball wrote:
I haven’t touched a weight since a little before baseball started in early March. For inseason lifting, we perform 1x25 squats with about 65 pounds and continue to do the same with unproductively light weights for other useless isolation movements (for sport atleast), so I classify that as nothing.

Since the end of our season is quickly approaching, and I have a few possible scholorship opportunities that I will get a chance to fight for in late summer through the winter. Because of this, I plan to quit my job and focus fully on my training, nutrition, and progression. My list of things to do goes in this order:

• Finish season healthy
  • Get MRI done on throwing shoulder (common procedure)
  • Get fired from job
  • Start training

I have the first three set up or taken care of already, it’s the training that is left. I personally want to spend the first 12-16 weeks of my offseason doing nothing baseball specific except throwing and hitting so I can focus on adding more mass and maybe get a little faster.

This leads me to a few possibilties, which I have narrowed down to for training. Which leaves for flexibility for speed training, A beginners westside program, Starr’s 5x5, or is there another option I am not considering?[/quote]

I have looked a little deeper into things (WS4SB and Starr’s 5x5, still looking for Cressey’s Manual) and I see a lot of benching. I personally am not a big fan of benching because one minor mistake in form and my shoulders get sore and I experience sharp pain, and then I can’t throw for a couple of weeks before it goes away.

However, the same does not occur when I do overhead lifts like snatches and DB Military Press. So can I replace bench press with snatches or military press? I would prefer to do snatches instead, but I do realize that military press is closer (in movement) to benching than olympic lifting.

If you have not done so, try benching with a powerlifting style.

large arch
elbows in
minimize ROM
(more details can be found on the site)

This allows some people to bench who otherwise could not. Seems like there is a video of just that in one of Cressey’s recent articles. *edit - here: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531

Overhead pressing does have some carryover into benching strength. Obviously, it is not a true alternate to bench press.

If it hurts to bench or you are worried about it, but can do overhead lifting pain-free and enjoy it. Do the overhead lifting. There is really nothing that says you have to bench. You can also try doing DB bench.

4est, I have tried benching using a powerlifters form, but when I did it I still felt the same as when I leave my elbows flared. I have read a bunch of Cressey articles on this topic and I really wish I could bench like I did before I dislocated one shoulder and nearly tore the labrum on the other, but at this point the risks out way the rewards because of my personal history, and it really sucks.

However, my goal isn’t as much to increase my bench (actually, baseball coaches at all levels that I have encountered don’t really care about any weight room numbers, they just want to see the size and power carried over to the field) as it is to make my shoulders, arms (biceps and triceps), and upper back stronger and more powerful while incorporating compound movements.

Well, it sounds like you are on the right track. Cressey’s writings have helped me a lot.

Some of the articles that really helped my shoulders are:

8 Weeks to Monster Shoulders (the first section)
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=818555

Push-Ups, Face Pulls and Shrugs
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1426252

The 10 Rules of Corrective Lifting
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1465613

13 Tips for Mighty Elbows & Wrists
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1270397

Shoulder Savers (3 parts)
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1153915

Yup great advice and no reason why you must bench heck oh presses and dip if you can would be great, many ppl who cant bench can do push ups the programs arent set in stone we have to make them fit us our goals and injuries

oh erics manual, you have to purchse it look in the store here i think its in there

Phill

I have heard bad things about dips and the rotator cuffs, but I have heard many things about certain lifts and soft tissue in the shoulder area so I will have to look deeper into it.

At this point, I think I’m going to go with my instincts and use snatches in my workouts. If I don’t see any real gains I will adjust accordingly. My routine will be based off of Starr’s 5x5, because I have had success with the common template in the past before shoulder problems became an issue for me.

If you have a bad labrum don’t do dips. I tore mine and the two things that the orthopedist told me to avoid were the bottom 1/2 of a bench press and dips.

Apparently you didn’t read Defranco’s website too well. For baseball players, he has them perform a pulling exercise such as weighted chins for the ME movement. He doesn’t have them do overhead work and benching is usually DB benching as an accessory exercise.

Even the repetition work is done as rows or chins for max reps. The other upperbody work is alot of rotator work and prehab.

[quote]WildcatBaseball wrote:
I have looked a little deeper into things (WS4SB and Starr’s 5x5, still looking for Cressey’s Manual) and I see a lot of benching. I personally am not a big fan of benching because one minor mistake in form and my shoulders get sore and I experience sharp pain, and then I can’t throw for a couple of weeks before it goes away.

However, the same does not occur when I do overhead lifts like snatches and DB Military Press. So can I replace bench press with snatches or military press? I would prefer to do snatches instead, but I do realize that military press is closer (in movement) to benching than olympic lifting.[/quote]

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
Apparently you didn’t read Defranco’s website too well. For baseball players, he has them perform a pulling exercise such as weighted chins for the ME movement. He doesn’t have them do overhead work and benching is usually DB benching as an accessory exercise.

Even the repetition work is done as rows or chins for max reps. The other upperbody work is alot of rotator work and prehab.

[/quote]

I never said I have an issue with overhead lifts, just bench pressing. I have done overhead movements in season in the past as well as in the off season while I long toss. I have found that even though power is generated from the core during all baseball motions, the arms and upper back are the prime movers and some good ways to work these areas involved overhead movements. Focusing on rotator cuff work and prehab as main parts of a routine in the past have offered little gain in size or power for me in the past, which is typically what has happened too me and all my friends, unless we all did something wrong. However, when adding RC work with our overhead movements and long toss the gains are outstanding.