T Nation

Have Trouble Pronouncing Words?

I knew this for along time when my speech teacher pointed it out but I have trouble with the word "With", "fifth", and any other word that end with the "th" sound at the end. Instead, I pronounce "with" as "Wif" and "Fifth" as "Fif". So far, this has been my most glaring speech problem but im sure there are other strange ways I pronunce words that i'm not even aware of. What are yours?

I say “acrosst” instead of “across”.

Ct. Rockula thinks I say pssgetti instead of spaghetti, but I don’t.

I say ascabasca instead of Athabasca though.

I have a deep voice…real deep but I talk fast so most of what I say is cloudy if I don’t talk slow in purpose

electrizity
meerer
Chi-CAH-go…oh wait, that one’s correct.

And I get messed up on “clothes”. It usually comes out as “close”

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
electrizity
meerer

[/quote]
Do you have a Chicago accent? I think those are interesting.

I used to say sub-see-quent instead of sub-sa-quent because I thought it was a tom-ay-to, tom-ah-to thing, until someone at work corrected me. I have since been cured.

I struggle to say squirrel. What a cunt of a word.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I used to say sub-see-quent instead of sub-sa-quent because I thought it was a tom-ay-to, tom-ah-to thing, until someone at work corrected me. I have since been cured.[/quote]

I’m still unaware of the respected pronunciation of tomato, I don’t remember the last time I said that word.

Just keep practicing, I cannot say “weird” or “world” without struggling. But I can call you an asshole in Italian 5 different ways :slight_smile:

Knowing how to pronounce this correctly might just get you a date with a beautiful Brazilian girl.

I know a lot of people who pronounce “wolf” without the L, like “wuff”. They are usually the ones who pronounce “coyote” with two syllables (“kah-yote”), “realtor” with three syllables (ree-la-tur) and “creek” as “crick”.

I pronounce “roof” with the same oo sound as in “moon”, but a lot of people give it the same sound as in “foot”. I also pronounce “coupon” as “koo-pon”, but I hear a lot of people say “kyoo-pon.”

American pronunciation of Japanese words is always good for a laugh, too. The word Tokyo is two syllables (“toh-kyoh”) but most folks insist on saying “TOE-kee-oh”. Hiroshima is “hi-RO-shi-ma” but in American mouths comes out “hee-ruh-SHEE-muh”. And sukiyaki (ski-ya-ki) invariably comes out “soo-key-AAAH-key”

The Brazilian fruit acai (a-sa-EE) also seems unpronounceable by most gringos: “uh-SIGH” “uh-KIGH” “AT-chee” uh-SEE-uh" “uh-KEE-uh” et cetera.

This actually worked out rather well, because when I was working in a supplement store I encountered a beautiful young woman who had come in to buy protein and a PWO drink, but saw one of the acai drinks and said, “oh, you have a-sa-EE.” On a hunch, I started speaking Portuguese to her. Turns out, she was from Brazil, was delighted that I guessed her nationality and could (poorly) speak her language, and yes, she’d love to go to the lake with me on Saturday.

Pronunciation is very important.

I used to slur a lot after about 12 beers.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
electrizity
meerer

[/quote]
Do you have a Chicago accent? I think those are interesting.[/quote]

Yes, although it’s not as strong as the southside Irish/Polish accent (think SNL "Da Bears). My short “a” sound is a bit more nasally than most midwesterners.

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:

[/quote]

Lol.

I’d like to pronounce as well as announce… This is a retarded thread.

[quote]Ronan wrote:
I’d like to pronounce as well as announce… This is a retarded thread.[/quote]
Then fuck off to another one if you have nothing to contribute.

I was involved with singing at a pretty young age which really helped my enunciation(and thus pronunciation) immensely, I’d like to think I have a pretty solid grasp on most words. I can’t think of any specific sounds that give me trouble, there’s probably just words I’m unfamiliar with that I might butcher until I’m told I am saying them wrong(like, I would definitely have fallen in the group that pronounced sukiyaki incorrectly, now if I ever have to I won’t embarrass myself).

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
American pronunciation of Japanese words is always good for a laugh, too. The word Tokyo is two syllables (“toh-kyoh”) but most folks insist on saying “TOE-kee-oh”. Hiroshima is “hi-RO-shi-ma” but in American mouths comes out “hee-ruh-SHEE-muh”. And sukiyaki (ski-ya-ki) invariably comes out “soo-key-AAAH-key”
[/quote]
Fair enough, but at what point does it shift from accent to mispronunciation? It actually pisses me off to hear some people try to overly “localize” their pronunciation of words. Like saying hispanic words in a ridiculously obvious hispanic accent that comes out of fucking nowhere in an otherwise normally speaking white person. Same thing happens with Japanese words. End up sounding absurd and very artificial to me.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
[/quote]
Fair enough, but at what point does it shift from accent to mispronunciation? It actually pisses me off to hear some people try to overly “localize” their pronunciation of words. Like saying hispanic words in a ridiculously obvious hispanic accent that comes out of fucking nowhere in an otherwise normally speaking white person. Same thing happens with Japanese words. End up sounding absurd and very artificial to me.[/quote]

When you pronounce the name of the Russian capital, do you pronounce the second syllable “cow” or “co”?

How about the capital of the Czech Republic? Does it sound more like “praig” or “prog”?

And that city in northern Italy: “muh-LANN” or “mee-LAWN”?

How about Worchestershire sauce? Is it “wurstershur” or “woostershire?”

The state to your immediate northwest: “mizurry” or “mazurrah”?

I agree that hearing a gringo say “me-hi-co” and “ar-hen-ti-na” rather than the approved White People pronunciation of “meck-sa-koh” and “ar-jun-TEE-nuh” sounds a bit like an affectation, just like when somebody who’s not from Hawaii conspicuously puts in the glottal stop (ha-WA-'i) to make it sound like they’re a “real local”.

But I gotta tell you, live in Japan a few years and you will become just as big a Japanese placename pronunciation snob as the rest of us, and you will snicker at the Americans (and it’s almost always Americans) who visit “TOE-key-oh” and “Key-YOH-toe” and “Hee-ruh-SHEE-muh”, express thanks with “doe-moe-airy-gaddo”, complain about having to sleep on a “FOO-tawn”…and never seem to get the hang of bowing or taking off their shoes in the house.