T Nation

Have I Made Good Progress in Three Months?

I'm not a beginner but I might as well call myself one because I haven't touched a barbell for over three years. I hurt my should three years ago and just never found the time to hit the gym. It's finally healed so I used all my previous knowledge to jump right in. The only issue is i'm pretty much the same weight I began at.

I knew I was going to lose fat and gain muscle in the first few months and then it'll slow down incredibly but muscle weighs more than fat so I though i'd at least increase a few lbs. anyways enough blabbering these are my before and after pics

Sure, you look better. The first photo is poor, but basically you went from “skinny-fat” to someone who is in good shape, who has built some noticeable muscle. You maybe gained 10 pounds of muscle and dropped 13 pounds of fat. Maybe. In my opinion, if you lost a tad more body fat, you would be able to display those muscles even more- despite the fact you may drop down to 160.

A better question is how long have you been training, and how has your strength progressed on big compound movements over this time?

Since you stated you have not touched a BB in 3 years, this is the perfect time to squat, bench, press, and deadlift. Do this heavy and intense, with a serious focus on nutrition, and you should make some solid gains. If you gained right (not a sloppy bulk where most of the weight is fat and water), if you got up to a solid 170 with 5 or more of that being muscle, it would make a pretty big difference.

[quote]Brett620 wrote:
Sure, you look better. The first photo is poor, but basically you went from “skinny-fat” to someone who is in good shape, who has built some noticeable muscle. You maybe gained 10 pounds of muscle and dropped 13 pounds of fat. Maybe. In my opinion, if you lost a tad more body fat, you would be able to display those muscles even more- despite the fact you may drop down to 160.

A better question is how long have you been training, and how has your strength progressed on big compound movements over this time?

Since you stated you have not touched a BB in 3 years, this is the perfect time to squat, bench, press, and deadlift. Do this heavy and intense, with a serious focus on nutrition, and you should make some solid gains. If you gained right (not a sloppy bulk where most of the weight is fat and water), if you got up to a solid 170 with 5 or more of that being muscle, it would make a pretty big difference.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. I’ve actually been doing all the compound lifts lol. I’ve really been focusing on increasing strength. I began at 115lb bench 175lb deadlift 135lbs squat. My 1rm now is 190lbs bench 345lb deadlift 315lb squat. I want to get up to 250 420 405 by next year. How long would it take for me to gain that amount of weight? If I hit my strength goals I can imagine i’ll gain at least 7lbs of muscle.

It’s probably going to depend on 1) your training intensity and 2) your diet. If those are in order, you could possibly hit it by the end of the year. And again, if the gain if lean muscle with no fat/water, it will make a significant improvement. I’d agree, those are good strength goals and I would shoot for a lean 170.

Just when you up the calories and protein slightly to gain, don’t get sloppy and end up at 175/178 with an extra 5-8 pounds since you will look better and more muscular at 170. Plus, you then don’t have to cut and worry about not gaining during the cut… Studies show that the body responds best to gaining muscle at lower body fat percentages anyway (see recent John Meadows article).

Thats great progress.

Don’t you think that since you have the genetics make this kind of muscle and strength gains through mere recomping, you would be able to see even better gains with a caloric excess?

You are a beginner, as am I and the majority of posters here. In the grand scheme of things anyway.

Did good… Now do it again

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Thats great progress.

Don’t you think that since you have the genetics make this kind of muscle and strength gains through mere recomping, you would be able to see even better gains with a caloric excess?[/quote]

I don’t think it’s because of my genetics to be honest. I think it’s because I hadn’t lifted in such a long time and then all of a sudden I shock my body with deads, squat, and bench. Before it took forever for me to grow out a beard, not it grows back very quickly. The sudden test increase with the right diet I believed burned the fat and increase muscle mass.

You think your endocrine system isn’t part of your genetics?

I’m actually kind of curious what you would change depending on the answer to this question. If someone said this was not good progress, would you start reading more, working harder, dialing in your diet, being more dedicated, etc, or are you already doing that? If someone said yes, would you slack off because you had a handle on things?

I feel as though, regardless of if you are doing well or doing poorly, you should just work as hard as possible.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
You think your endocrine system isn’t part of your genetics?[/quote]

It’s not genetics I’ve always had chitty genetics trust me lol

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I’m actually kind of curious what you would change depending on the answer to this question. If someone said this was not good progress, would you start reading more, working harder, dialing in your diet, being more dedicated, etc, or are you already doing that? If someone said yes, would you slack off because you had a handle on things?

I feel as though, regardless of if you are doing well or doing poorly, you should just work as hard as possible.[/quote]

Simple I would eat more. I don’t take any supps at all not even a protein shake. I eat nothing but real food so I guess it’s working just fine. If it wasn’t i’d start taking protein shakes again.

[quote]Justliftbrah wrote:

I feel as though, regardless of if you are doing well or doing poorly, you should just work as hard as possible.[/quote]

Simple I would eat more. I don’t take any supps at all not even a protein shake. I eat nothing but real food so I guess it’s working just fine. If it wasn’t i’d start taking protein shakes again.
[/quote]

Why not just do that now if you know that will make you progress better?

I guess I don’t really understand the point in holding back and only bringing out the most effective tools after you’ve tried using a sub-optimal way for a period of time.

[quote]Justliftbrah wrote:

[/quote]

Why not just do that now if you know that will make you progress better?

I guess I don’t really understand the point in holding back and only bringing out the most effective tools after you’ve tried using a sub-optimal way for a period of time.
[/quote]

Because there’s not guarantee that that those tools will be effective. Protei. Shakes always made me bloated which is why i cut them out completely.

You are confused.

I believe it is you dt79, that is confused.

Whatever TS is doing is working for him.

Explain how i am confused when i state that one’s genetics for this sport includes his endocrine response to resistance training.

Wait now im really confused. Who the fuck is TS?

TS = thread starter

wtf is this blabbing about the endocrine system? What of it?

There’s an endocrine response to EVERYTHING in the body. If you breathe there’s an endocrine response, if you look at tits there’s and endocrine response.

Edit
Sorry, for most men there is an endocrine response when one stares at tits