Hatton Vs. Mayweather

I am kind of shocked no one has posted about this since the fight is on Saturday. I know boxing is dying (or already dead) because of the UFC, but does anyone still follow it?

I think it could go either way, but I think everyone wants to see Hatton win including myself.

Boxing is still far more popular on a global scale. I will root for Fatton with all of my heart, but I’ll take Mayweather by a late cut stoppage, probably round 10.

Damn, shows how much I’ve been paying attention to boxing over the last few years. I didn’t even know the fight was happening. I love Ricky Hatton. I’ve never been a huge boxing fan - especially since first discovering mma - but he’s one hell of an exciting boxer. I still remember watching him fight for the first time a few years ago, he was just demolishing this guy with body shots. I hope he wins!

I thought Mayweather retired after his last fight? I didn’t even know about this fight till I opened espn.com this morning and saw it as the headline. Sad thing is I didn’t even click it the Marlins trade was a much better read to me.

It is sad the state that boxing is in today. Growing up my family bought the PPV for every big fight. Now days like I said before I have no clue when the hell a fight is. But I do know that Wand is gonna own lidell on the 29th!!!

Boxing has so much more grace. People like MMA for the shock value. Ever watched MMA fighters strike? They look like girls compared to pro boxers. And don’t give me this shit about ‘but most fights end on the ground.’ Yeah, only because nobody got knocked the fuck out in the first 30 seconds.

What pisses me off about boxing today is the apparent business strategy of giving a half-assed performance for an undeserving win, while having talked up plans of retirement after “this last fight,” only to talk up a rematch immediately post-fight. They need to cut that shit out and restore faith in their sport.

My prediction:

Physically, Ricky Hatton will ROCK Mayweather, as Floyd does not like to hit first and is fast enough to dodge, which seems to be his style (based on the De La Hoya fight). However, being that Mayweather is probably the more popular fighter, he’ll win by split decision. Nobody will get knocked down.

What I WANT to see, besides a Hatton knockout? Hatton by unanimous.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Boxing has so much more grace. People like MMA for the shock value. Ever watched MMA fighters strike? They look like girls compared to pro boxers. And don’t give me this shit about ‘but most fights end on the ground.’ Yeah, only because nobody got knocked the fuck out in the first 30 seconds.

[/quote]

Keep in mind that if a boxer tries to fight like a boxer in an MMA match, he’ll get his ass handed to him. It’s a different sport which requires a different approach.

No need to turn this into another MMA vs Boxing thread, there are plenty of those. I enjoy both.

I’d LOVE to see Hatton whoop some ass, and he may pull it off, especially since Mayweather’s passion seems to be waning (at least as reflected by his comments). But I wouldn’t put my money against Mayweather, he’s a freak.

Mayweather tko

Here’s the fastest way to summarize MMA and Boxing.

MMA=NFL
Boxing=Soccer

That’s it. Boxing has always been more popular and probably will always be more popular, because it’s so much simpler than MMA. Boxing has had hard years recently and MMA is doing well, but boxing is more global because it’s easier to get into it. It’s expensive to take 3-4 different martial arts. I don’t think MMA will ever really surpass boxing except in the West.

I’m hoping Hatton rocks Mayweather. The last installment of the HBO doc leading up to this fight is on tonight. It’s been a good show. I like Hatton’s trainer, one crusty tough old son of a bitch from the streets.

D

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
I don’t think MMA will ever really surpass boxing except in the West.[/quote]

In Japan MMA has been more popular than Boxing for a long time. Not to mention Korea, Brazil and China.

Donut62 I was right about Calzaghe eh? :wink:

I reckon Hatton will take the match(not to mention Mayweather is a egotistical fool).

I’m rooting for Hatton all the way, but I just get this feeling that Mayweather is going to eke out a decision.

My money’s on Hatton.

As an aside, if anyone is over here in the UK and get the chance to go, his gym is awesome.

[quote]Shire wrote:

[/quote]

I have no idea what you are talking about???

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Shire wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about???[/quote]

You thought his last fight was 50/50 and I wrote that he would win hands down. Which he did.

[quote]Shire wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
Shire wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about???

You thought his last fight was 50/50 and I wrote that he would win hands down. Which he did.
[/quote]

Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah, I don’t think I can doubt Joe ever again.

I’ve heard that argument quite a bit, and I don’t buy it.

Put Iron Mike in his prime or a really slick, fast boxer like Pacquiao or Mayweather in the ring and I promise they’ll surprise spectators. MMA fighters are AWESOME athletes, I’m not discredting them at all, but they have NO footwork, no guard up.

Boxers are such fast strikers, and especially if an MMA guy trys to go for the waist or legs, I can see them getting their head knocked back like a pez dispenser, since that’s an instinct boxers are taught to repress - hitting someone going to their kness - but that leaves the opponent vulnerable to a textbook upper cut.

Seriously, MMA guys are brilliant fighters, but people wet themselves when they talk about grappling. Look at Liddel. Everyone says he’s one of the best strikers in the UFC and he’s knocked out quite a few dudes. I’ll give him that, but look at his punches and posture and compare him to a slick boxer. He looks like an amateur striker in that case.

Give boxing more credit. It was the Great American Past time way before baseball and the old school fellas (I’d say Hatton has oldl school guts, personally) were tough as nails.

Jesus Christ, I can’t believe people still argue about this.

If boxers COULD dominate MMA then boxers WOULD be dominating MMA.

There’s a reason MMA fighters don’t train like boxers