T Nation

Hatton vs. Mayweather?

Does anyone think this fight is a possibility and how do yuo think it would go down?

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,12-1271990,00.html

The result has opened the door to a possible future fight with Floyd Mayweather Junior, regarded as the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world.

Mayweather retired after beating legend Oscar de la Hoya in the richest fight in history last month.

But the Manchester ‘Hitman’ would jump at the chance to coax out him of retirement and took the opportunity of his victory to taunt the former world welterweight champion.

He said: "I knew I was in the groove for this one.

“There was more action in those four rounds than you’d have had in Floyd Mayweather’s last half-dozen fights.”

There is little love lost between the two fighters and Hatton recently revealed that the pair had clashed when they met in the audience at another fight.

He said: "Mayweather was sitting on the same row as me for the Jermain Taylor v Bernard Hopkins fight in 2005.

“I went to shake his hand and he said, ‘I’ll shake your hand when I’ve knocked you out’. I just thought: ‘Please yourself’. I wasn’t that bothered about shaking his hand anyway.”

On Friday Mayweather’s trainer and uncle Roger Mayweather said that a showdown between Hatton and his nephew would be “one of the biggest in the history of the sport”.

He said: "What Ricky has to do is win this fight, and then come up to where Floyd’s at with a truckload of money.

“He says he is retired, but enough money can bring a dead man out of the grave.”

Personally I think Mayweather would school Hatton if they ever fought. Sure he looked good on Saturday night, but he was fighting a sluggish, over the hill, veteran. Castillo has been in some brutal slugfests, and they have definitely taken their toll on him. The fight on Saturday really didn’t prove anything, except that Hatton can look really good against fighters who are at the tail end of their career.

I do give credit to Hatton for that perfect body shot, it had sugar written all over it. But again, Castillo is way past his prime. This is part of the reason I don’t like Hatton, he picks and chooses fighters that will make him look awesome, and besides, he really hasn’t fought anyone notable except for Tszu, and now a washed up Castillo.

I know that there is demand for a match up between Mayweather and Hatton, but the money just isn’t there.

I’d like to see the fight happen at 140. Mayweather could easily get back down there, but I doubt this fight will happen. Mayweather thinks he is the GOAT already. Also, DLH has said that he wants to fight Hatton at Wembley. That sounds more likely.

i would rater see hook and hold hatton fight cotto,

My man Ricky won last night, and I’m happy about it. Could he beat Mayweather? Who fucking knows. In a fight, it depends on the day.

But if there is one man with enough heart to stand in there, and enough power to take the pretty boy down, then it is Hatton. I’ve been waiting for this for a while, and the fact that he took Castillo out so quickly opens a lot of doors.

He’s more powerful than DLH, and he’s got balls… he’s the last hope against that fucking jerkoff.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Personally I think Mayweather would school Hatton if they ever fought. Sure he looked good on Saturday night, but he was fighting a sluggish, over the hill, veteran. Castillo has been in some brutal slugfests, and they have definitely taken their toll on him. The fight on Saturday really didn’t prove anything, except that Hatton can look really good against fighters who are at the tail end of their career.

I do give credit to Hatton for that perfect body shot, it had sugar written all over it. But again, Castillo is way past his prime. This is part of the reason I don’t like Hatton, he picks and chooses fighters that will make him look awesome, and besides, he really hasn’t fought anyone notable except for Tszu, and now a washed up Castillo.

I know that there is demand for a match up between Mayweather and Hatton, but the money just isn’t there.[/quote]

There are pretty much 2 other fighters that would be good fights, Mayweather and Cotto. He has beaten everyone put in front of him so far and he wants to fight these guys. How can you say he is picking and choosing his fights? Who else is there?

Let’s not forget that Mayweather seriously struggled against Castillo 5 years ago. I’m not saying he was in the same shape but he actually looked ok out there. Hatton just dominated him and took down a serious battler who has never been knocked out before.

What more do you want from Hatton?

Mayweather, Cotto, Margarito, Mosley, ODLH…just a few reasons why we probably won’t see ricky hatton at 147 again for some time…if at all. he went back down after having difficulty with Collazo.

he’ll stay at 140…and unfortunately, floyd most likely isn’t coming back down in weight.

hatton fights with 2-3 punches while diving in, clinch, wrestle/grapple for position (he does work while inside though), hit while holding, mix in some low blows…repeat.

he lacks defense…not good against mayweather (hattons chin will stand up easily against floyd though). he also jumps in and out, again, not good against mayweather. he most likely will not be able to cut off the ring and bully floyd, thus, eliminating his pressure/bully/hold+hit style.

This fight will probably not happen, but if it did, Mayweather by a UD. Ricky will make him work for it, but is simply outboxed and outclassed by floyd who will play hit and run.

I hope Mayweather comes down in weight, I would love to see Hatton knock him out. Pound for Pound my azz. Delahoya took the fight to him, he is way over rated.

Cant see it happening, Mayweather would be a fool to get in the ring with Hatton at the moment as he is white hot.

If Floyd fought Hatton at 140 I think it would be a good fight. Hatton looked out of his league at 147. His straight ahead style leaves him open to a lot of punishment - which he takes well. Punishment he takes a lot better at 140.

His style would force Mayweather to fight, something pretty-boy really doesn’t like to do. I think Mayweather would win b/c he’s the best there is right now, but I’d love to see Hatton ring his bell a few times… maybe even knock him down and humble his cocky ass.

I think Hatton would pound away for 12 rounds and fights like that are the ones that put someone like Mayweather into retirement. Or set him up for a loss in his next fight. I’m not a Mayweather fan. I love Hatton’s fighter’s heart.

[quote]billybill wrote:
If Floyd fought Hatton at 140 I think it would be a good fight. Hatton looked out of his league at 147. His straight ahead style leaves him open to a lot of punishment - which he takes well. Punishment he takes a lot better at 140.

His style would force Mayweather to fight, something pretty-boy really doesn’t like to do. I think Mayweather would win b/c he’s the best there is right now, but I’d love to see Hatton ring his bell a few times… maybe even knock him down and humble his cocky ass.

I think Hatton would pound away for 12 rounds and fights like that are the ones that put someone like Mayweather into retirement. Or set him up for a loss in his next fight. I’m not a Mayweather fan. I love Hatton’s fighter’s heart.[/quote]

I hear ya. I’ve always been a big fan of Hatton and the way he fights. A fight between these two is a contrast of two completely opposite styles which is always interesting to watch. Floyd has shown he can deal with Hatton’s style before though, but I think Hatton would definetely put up a good fight.

I don’t think Mayweather has the power to keep Hatton off of him. So I think Hatton would march right in and “hook and hold” his way to victory. Having said that, I’m a fan of Ricky and hope he continues to do well as he is interesting and exciting.

I love that line Mayweather said " I 'd love to punch him right in his fat gut" or something like that
It will probably happen in
fact it could evn be already organised behind the publicity they are just building it up

I don’t think anyone really believed Mayweather would actually stay in retirement, given his pride/arrogance and the fight fees he commands/needs to fund his lavish lifestyle. But before the Hatton fight everyone expected a Mayweather vs De La Hoya rematch…

The interesting thing is that Hatton’s performance has piqued curiosity. What could he achieved vs Mayweather? Hatton would still be the underdog as nomatter what anyone thinks of Mayweather you cannot help but respect his class.

However Hatton’s performances seem to rise or fall to the level of his opponent, I think the question is can he rise to Mayweather’s class… I don’t think so. But from a boxing fan’s point of view I would love to see him try.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

[/quote]

And De la Hoya was in his prime?

[quote]
And De la Hoya was in his prime?[/quote]

No. But Mayweather has also fought and beat:
Zab Judah
Jesus Chavez
Arturo Gatti
Diego Corrales
Carlos Baldomir
DeMarcus Corley
Philip Ndou
and Jose Luis Castillo TWICE

Hatton has fought and beat:
Kostya Tszu
Luis Collazo
Jose Luis Castillo

Mayweather has done more to prove himself as an elite fighter than Hatton has. Mayweather>Hatton.

It would be an interesting fight. I don’t know if there is enough money in it for Mayweather to care at this point. Perhaps if it was in England and put into a timeslot for American PPV. They would murder at the gate, that’s for sure.

Mayweather-Mosley is another I would like to see.

Well, I’d love to see the fight.

He really needs every fight from now to be a big name fight. He may not be able to beat Mayweather but i’m damn sure he’d give him a go.

Also, I’m not sure how anyone could dislike Ricky. He always comes to fight, he can actually fight, he’s down to earth, respectful and realistic about his abilities.

The fight is looking more likely:

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,12-1272289,00.html