T Nation

Hatton-Pacquiao

Hatton is a good fighter. I didn’t think this would be over so quickly. Pacquiao used his speed and got some good hits early, but that first knockdown honestly caught me be surprise. After that though, you could tell Hatton was done. I thought it would be a first round KO. They probably should have stopped it, Hatton looked ugly in the second. Pacquaio is just on a totally different level right now.

Hatton has been a legend. I hope he retires now after losing to the best in the world in Pacman & his trainer Roach. Don’t understand why Hatton did all his pad work with Mayweather Snr who is orthodox stance & then fights a southpaw. Thanks for all the memories Ricky and please call it a day :slight_smile:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
There’s over 25,000 limeys in Las Vegas right now for the fight.

This has the potential to be a Hagler-Hearns type of brawl, and I truly can’t wait. This is like the fucking Super Bowl for me- I been waiting for it since January.

This is the weigh in- you can’t hear a fucking thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUEk1SgWfEI

Ricky, KO in 8, 1-3 body hook or that kangaroo hook he uses.

Picks? Thoughts?
[/quote]

Good call!

Hatton is only a “legend” because he was white and British. If he wasn’t, he would just be another world class face in the crowd in the welters.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
lets all have a moment of silence for fingirish. poor guy, lol[/quote]

If you have stock in Jameson, let’s just say it soared last night.

Ricky looked terrible. Manny was head and shoulders above him. Any asshole who says that Hatton isn’t a good fighter, or never was, doesn’t know boxing- he is a world class fighter, ruled the 140 division for four years, and retired Kosta Tszyu. You don’t do that by being a “glorified club fighter”, as some cunts on the boxing boards are doing.

However, my man leads with his chin and doesn’t live healthy. That all-aggressive style might work when you’re 22, but not at 30. The very things that have made him so popular- his brawling ways and his “one of the lads” drinking mentality, have also lead directly to his downfall.

Boxing is tough, because your guy doesn’t get any younger. It’s not like baseball, where I know that in 2050, the Red Sox could win another world series. Boxers are sadly mortal, and it showed last night.

Honestly, I could give a fuck that he lost. It’s upsetting, but the guy has been great for boxing and great for his country- how many of us can say that? I just don’t want to see him get hurt. He’s got a family, and my boy’s gotta be thinking about that first. After last night, I want him to retire. Great career, legendary fighter with a huge following… but, as Apollo said… “It’s a shame we gotta get old Stallion.”

heavythrower wrote:
lets all have a moment of silence for fingirish. poor guy, lol

Ricky looked terrible. Manny was head and shoulders above him. Any asshole who says that Hatton isn’t a good fighter, or never was, doesn’t know boxing- he is a world class fighter, ruled the 140 division for four years, and retired Kosta Tszyu. You don’t do that by being a “glorified club fighter”, as some cunts on the boxing boards are doing.

However, my man leads with his chin and doesn’t live healthy. That all-aggressive style might work when you’re 22, but not at 30. The very things that have made him so popular- his brawling ways and his “one of the lads” drinking mentality, have also lead directly to his downfall.

Boxing is tough, because your guy doesn’t get any younger. It’s not like baseball, where I know that in 2050, the Red Sox could win another world series. Boxers are sadly mortal, and it showed last night.

Honestly, I could give a fuck that he lost. It’s upsetting, but the guy has been great for boxing and great for his country- how many of us can say that? I just don’t want to see him get hurt. He’s got a family, and my boy’s gotta be thinking about that first. After last night, I want him to retire. Great career, legendary fighter with a huge following… but, as Apollo said… “It’s a shame we gotta get old Stallion.”[/quote]

First of all he’s thirty and the only reason he beat Kosta Tszyu is because he was so inactive and basically semi retired. He had fought 3 rounds in the three years prior to the Hatton fight. If Kosta Tszyu was in his prime he would have KO’D Hatton easy. And he didn’t rule the 140 pound division for years. He was fighting at welterweight where he got KTFO and struggled. Who did he defend the 140 pound title against that was any good. He didn’t fight Cotto. He only had a fraction of the title. All his opponents were cherry picked.

And don’t even say Castillo because he was a washed up 130 pound fighter when they fought. And Hatton got owned by Callazo.

There is no other sport that captures the raw emotion that boxing has, look at this picture of Hatton’s fiance…

I’ll try again…

[quote]Reef wrote:
IamMarqaos wrote:
Mayweather will suffer his first knock out from Pacquiao. He won’t make it in the re-match either.

Unreal. I did not think it would be over this quick.

I doubt it. Mayweather’s got some of the best defence in boxing. Rick just moves forward and thinks he can just brawl and eat shots.

Also, Mayweather’s taller, has a longer reach and is much quicker than Hatton which will give him a huge advantage. Hatton’s a terrible counter-puncher, and that’s the only way to beat Pacman. [/quote]

I concur…I think Mayweather is probably the best boxer that I’ll see fight in my lifetime. If he comes back in the form he was in when he retired, Manny will have huge problems with him.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Reef wrote:
IamMarqaos wrote:
Mayweather will suffer his first knock out from Pacquiao. He won’t make it in the re-match either.

I doubt it. Mayweather’s got some of the best defence in boxing. Rick just moves forward and thinks he can just brawl and eat shots.

Also, Mayweather’s taller, has a longer reach and is much quicker than Hatton which will give him a huge advantage. Hatton’s a terrible counter-puncher, and that’s the only way to beat Pacman.

I concur…I think Mayweather is probably the best boxer that I’ll see fight in my lifetime. If he comes back in the form he was in when he retired, Manny will have huge problems with him.[/quote]

I totally see where you guys are coming from but the big question is will he come back in the same form? And even if, will that be enough to beat this Pacquiao? This is not the same fighter from two years ago, whom, I agree, would be beaten by Floyd.

You would have to agree with me that very rarely does a fighter retire and come back in the same form, let alone better, which is what he might need to be for a win over Pacquiao. There are fighters, I know, but it is rare.

Now, it could very well be that Mayweather is that one rare person, he certainly is an incredible fighter but Pacquiao has consistently improved over the last few years and is getting better with each outing. Mayweather was, in my opinion in his last two fights good, better then most, but NOT great. Great at frustrating his opponents and taking advantage of that but these were not overall great performances. Especially against Oscar I was disappointed.

Pacquiao has just made the transition from good to great and his last two fights prove that. And he seems to only get better.

Let’s compare the fighters:

He is equally fast to Mayweather but has more power. His defense is almost as good as Floyd’s(see how he gave a right hook to Hatton while immediately dodging a huge left for example) and this will improve even more. He is more mature then Floyd (that’s albeit not very hard but…) and he has in Roach currently the world’s best trainer. Both these men have improved tremendously over the last few years and I think momentum is on their side.

Will it be easy? No, and I did not say that but with Roach in his corner I think they will come up with the right game plan to give Floyd his first loss. Mayweather has gone from confidence to arrogance and that’s not helping either. My guess is that you will have two equally brilliant fighters at the start and the fight will be won by the guy with the most heart, determination and power and the edge in those is, I believe, Pacquiao’s. In the later rounds Floyd will go down.
I would think this to be one of the best fights ever.

But that is not taking anything away from Floyd’s brilliance as a fighter I just think that Pacman has now gone to a level Floyd came down from.

But hey, until the fight happens…:slight_smile:

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Reef wrote:
IamMarqaos wrote:

Also, Mayweather’s taller, has a longer reach and is much quicker than Hatton which will give him a huge advantage. Hatton’s a terrible counter-puncher, and that’s the only way to beat Pacman.

I concur…I think Mayweather is probably the best boxer that I’ll see fight in my lifetime. If he comes back in the form he was in when he retired, Manny will have huge problems with him.[/quote]

The greatest boxer I’ve followed consistently in his prime was Roy Jones Jr., and Mayweather has similarities to him. Not saying he’s Roy Jones, but he counter punches so well, he has that level of vision and reaction that you can’t teach.

I’m hoping that if Pac and Mayweather meet in the near future, Pac is to Mayweather as Tarver was to Jones (the 2nd fight of course).

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Reef wrote:
IamMarqaos wrote:

I think Gayweather is going to be the one with the problems.

[quote]fnf wrote:
slimjim wrote:
Reef wrote:
IamMarqaos wrote:

I concur…I think Mayweather is probably the best boxer that I’ll see fight in my lifetime. If he comes back in the form he was in when he retired, Manny will have huge problems with him.

The greatest boxer I’ve followed consistently in his prime is Roy Jones Jr., and Mayweather has similarities to him. Not saying he’s Roy Jones, but he counter punches so well, he has that level of vision and reaction that you can’t teach.

I’m hoping that if Pac and Mayweather meet in the near future, Pac is to Mayweather as Tarver was to Jones (the 2nd fight of course).[/quote]

Mayweather is technically a lot better then Roid Jones. He also doesn’t have a china chin. Jones was overrated. All he ever did was beat up on fireman and retired security gaurds.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Reef wrote:
IamMarqaos wrote:

I think Gayweather is going to be the one with the problems.

[quote]fightnews10 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
heavythrower wrote:

Honestly, I could give a fuck that he lost. It’s upsetting, but the guy has been great for boxing and great for his country- how many of us can say that? I just don’t want to see him get hurt. He’s got a family, and my boy’s gotta be thinking about that first. After last night, I want him to retire. Great career, legendary fighter with a huge following… but, as Apollo said… “It’s a shame we gotta get old Stallion.”

First of all he’s thirty and the only reason he beat Kosta Tszyu is because he was so inactive and basically semi retired. He had fought 3 rounds in the three years prior to the Hatton fight. If Kosta Tszyu was in his prime he would have KO’D Hatton easy. And he didn’t rule the 140 pound division for years. He was fighting at welterweight where he got KTFO and struggled. Who did he defend the 140 pound title against that was any good. He didn’t fight Cotto. He only had a fraction of the title. All his opponents were cherry picked. [/quote]

It is very clear that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

[quote]fightnews10 wrote:
fnf wrote:
slimjim wrote:
Reef wrote:
IamMarqaos wrote:

The greatest boxer I’ve followed consistently in his prime is Roy Jones Jr., and Mayweather has similarities to him. Not saying he’s Roy Jones, but he counter punches so well, he has that level of vision and reaction that you can’t teach.

I’m hoping that if Pac and Mayweather meet in the near future, Pac is to Mayweather as Tarver was to Jones (the 2nd fight of course).

Mayweather is technically a lot better then Roid Jones. He also doesn’t have a china chin. Jones was overrated. All he ever did was beat up on fireman and retired security gaurds.[/quote]

I wouldn’t say that Jones was overrated, he just was too afraid to get killed in the ring. He wasted his talents and his prime years trying to decide if he was going to be a rapper, a fighter, or a basketball player. Exceptional talent, but he never really had that fighter spirit. He went the money route, picked opponents he knew he’d slap around. Now all of a sudden he wants those big fights he avoided his whole career now that he is no longer on top.

heavythrower wrote:

Honestly, I could give a fuck that he lost. It’s upsetting, but the guy has been great for boxing and great for his country- how many of us can say that? I just don’t want to see him get hurt. He’s got a family, and my boy’s gotta be thinking about that first. After last night, I want him to retire. Great career, legendary fighter with a huge following… but, as Apollo said… “It’s a shame we gotta get old Stallion.”[/quote]

I have read that Roach would like to take Hatton on. If this is true, you think he could help Ricky improve on his weaknesses and at least give him a few more fights to shake off the two losses and at least try and end his career in a better way? I heard that Mayweather Sr. and Hatton weren’t really getting along during training, so this could have been a factor for Hatton not really putting up a good performance.

I know that fighters win/lose fights, not the trainers, but I do know that if there’s some tension with your corner, it can affect how the fight goes, especially a big one like this. I don’t really want to come off as making excuses for Hatton and dont’ want to take anything away from Pacquiao at all, but I’ve always liked Hatton and would hate to see his career end just like De La Hoyas.

[quote]jayski wrote:
rity gaurds.

I wouldn’t say that Jones was overrated, he just was too afraid to get killed in the ring. He wasted his talents and his prime years trying to decide if he was going to be a rapper, a fighter, or a basketball player. Exceptional talent, but he never really had that fighter spirit. He went the money route, picked opponents he knew he’d slap around. Now all of a sudden he wants those big fights he avoided his whole career now that he is no longer on top.[/quote]

Roy owned that division… who else did you want him to fight?

Unfortunately, they can’t pick the years they fought. He’s one of the greatest of all time, easily- you don’t go winning belts from middleweight to heavyweight by accident.

[quote]jayski wrote:

I have read that Roach would like to take Hatton on. If this is true, you think he could help Ricky improve on his weaknesses and at least give him a few more fights to shake off the two losses and at least try and end his career in a better way? I heard that Mayweather Sr. and Hatton weren’t really getting along during training, so this could have been a factor for Hatton not really putting up a good performance.

I know that fighters win/lose fights, not the trainers, but I do know that if there’s some tension with your corner, it can affect how the fight goes, especially a big one like this. I don’t really want to come off as making excuses for Hatton and dont’ want to take anything away from Pacquiao at all, but I’ve always liked Hatton and would hate to see his career end just like De La Hoyas.[/quote]

Ricky’s lost it. He’s a fighter that can’t control his mind- i.e., once he got KO’d the first time, he lost his nerves and it shook him too much. I think he’s got tremendous nagging doubts about what he can do in the ring. This didn’t help.

The fact is, there wasn’t enough time in the fight to even have his corner have anything to do with it.

Unfortunately, he’s all aggression and no brain. I love the damn guy, but his days are done. I truly just don’t want to see him get hurt in the ring, and I don’t want to see him end up a stuttering basketcase like Frazier.