Hating on Testosterone and Lifting

Okay…

“Heavy weight” is relative. If a kid is starting out, and a deadlift pull of 315 is his 3-rep max, and he’s on his fifth rep, he SHOULD be making noise and grunting.

I make noise (mostly loud, forceful breathing) a lot. Because I’m busting my ass… a lot. When people say “You shouldn’t be making noise unless you move a lot of weight,” it’s fucking stupid. Again, IT’S ALL RELATIVE. I’m not going to MUTE myself because some dude in the gym doesn’t like it. Go to a library if you want peace and quiet.

What’s next - People loading barbells too loudly?

Plus… are the same people complaining about noise-makers anti-music? For fuck’s sake… buy some headphones.

Some reasonable noise doesn’t bother me that much. I myself am silent when I lift, but the odd grunt or groan is fine. Although some people take it to extremes…

This guy from New York used to go to my gym. He was about 4’11" and built like a little cannonball. Really nice guy but he would make the most retarded (sorry, “challenged”) noises imaginable while lifting. The cornerstone of these noises was “GYUP!”. He’d string about 7 “gyups” together while mentioning something about the exercise he was doing. For example, “GYUP GYUP Bent-over rows, GOIN’ HEAVY! GYUP GYUP GYUP lift-off! Lets grind em out! GYUP GYUP GYUP!”. It sounded like a mixture of Pac-Man and a circa 1800’s cattlehand trying to give orders to a stubborn steer.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jstines wrote:
I distinctly remember picking up a copy and wondering why it was no longer funny or interesting to read.

I think I’m more worried that you once found it funny and interesting to read.[/quote]

I think, in the first few years of publication, it was a new type of magazine for me and there honestly was some wit and quality in some of the pieces, but then I think I grew up and they started phoning it in. I honestly haven’t read Maxim in probably 6 years.

These two guys in my gym were benching and they decided that every time they got to their fifth rep they’d yell “cinco de mayo!” and then they’d talk about how surprising it was that “cinco” meant five.

Is the author a man or woman?

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
These two guys in my gym were benching and they decided that every time they got to their fifth rep they’d yell “cinco de mayo!” and then they’d talk about how surprising it was that “cinco” meant five.[/quote]

What’s with the facepalm man … you’re about to open up a whole can of worms with that type of shit!

[quote]polo77j wrote:
What’s with the facepalm man … you’re about to open up a whole can of worms with that type of shit![/quote]

I literally facepalmed after I read your earlier post. Lol It wasn’t intended toward you sorry for the confusion.

Unless you were one of said cinco de mayo brahs?

I am now wishing I had some bitching catch phrase, like GYUP or something, because I admit that if I’m spotting my buddy and he’s grinding out a rep, I’ll try to pump him up by yelling things before I step in and grab the bar. I’m not doing this on his warmups or light reps and shit, but if he’s on the verge of missing the lift, I’m going to try to push him before I start pulling the bar.

[quote]Drizzt wrote:
polo77j wrote:
What’s with the facepalm man … you’re about to open up a whole can of worms with that type of shit!

I literally facepalmed after I read your earlier post. Lol It wasn’t intended toward you sorry for the confusion.

Unless you were one of said cinco de mayo brahs?[/quote]

lol … no i was referencing the whole shit storm of a thread over in SAMA … someone got facepalmed and it’s still going on over there … fucking shit fest and It’s hilarious.

It’s ok … I do a lot of facepalming when reading a lot of people’s posts … too many to count. I’d imagine mine get facepalmed too.

[quote]Drizzt wrote:
polo77j wrote:

Unless you were one of said cinco de mayo brahs?[/quote]

lol … no i was referencing the whole shit storm of a thread over in SAMA … someone got facepalmed and it’s still going on over there … fucking shit fest and It’s hilarious.

It’s ok … I do a lot of facepalming when reading a lot of people’s posts … too many to count. I’d imagine mine get facepalmed too.

I didnt get past the OPs first line. Maxim is nothing but an over-priced, advertisement-infested piece-of-shit rag. What kind of weak-assed pussy are you to be concerned in any way with what`s written in such a lame publication?

[quote]Drizzt wrote:
Is the author a man or woman?[/quote]

somewhere in the middle

you wouldnt wanna fuck it

but you wouldnt ask it to help you move either.

[quote]Cowboy_69 wrote:
I didnt get past the OPs first line. Maxim is nothing but an over-priced, advertisement-infested piece-of-shit rag. What kind of weak-assed pussy are you to be concerned in any way with what`s written in such a lame publication? [/quote]

Seriously, dude?
You’re pissed cause I read shit other than these forums? Does that make you mad?
I like reading. It’s educational, even if it’s not information I agree with. WTFuck?

I’m gonna take a wild guess you are one of those arrogant pricks who tunes out anyone who disagrees with you and you never read/listen to other ideas, yet still try to force yours on others and think yours are flawless.

And the fact that the only purpose of your post was to call me names for reading, says a lot about your character. I don’t care how much you lift.

[quote]Drizzt wrote:
Is the author a man or woman?[/quote]

Doesn’t say. But I’m gonna guess - guy (not man).

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Drizzt wrote:
Is the author a man or woman?

somewhere in the middle

you wouldnt wanna fuck it

but you wouldnt ask it to help you move either.[/quote]

well said.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Trance27 wrote:
I want to get this exactly right. I know most people don’t read Maxim for the words on the pages, neither do I, but this one piece caught my eye, “Screaming at the Gym”. The subtitle reads: “Attention, dudes who can’t lift quietly: We’re seriously considering dropping a 45-pound plate on your beet-red head.”

Summary, in direct quotes:
“It’s been awhile since we pumped iron, so it was somewhat alarming to discover gym rats are still letting out guttural screams on the bench. Don’t get us wrong - we plead guilty to singing along with the Kelly Clarkson remixes in our hip-hop dance class. But we expect more from the angry man-beasts…It sounds like these vein-popping maniacs are undergoing a particularly sadistic colon exam…So until these guys learn to keep their pie holes shut while pushing weight, we’ll stay plugged into our iPod, silently mouthing the words to the club version of ‘Since U Been Gone’.”

I couldn’t believe it when I finished the article. Does the general public really think like this? Or just the bitches writing at Maxim? Even if they do, it’s not going to stop me from pushing myself in the gym. T-Nation has taught me so much, and I am a better person now because I push myself in the gym.

I’m sure we should be terrified of the dudes singing Kelly Clarkson. That threat of dropping a 45lb plate on our heads would be a little more intimidating if I actually thought they could lift that plate high enough to drop it where it could do damage.

Thoughts?

Kelly Clarkson and Hip Hop dance classes?

This is a men’s magazine?[/quote]

That’s what I’m saying Senor X. “Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don’t nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight” -King Coleman. But he and I do!

Does anyone remember a really old Maxim article/expose about the horrors of steroids? This was probably 10 years ago, back when it was an equally shitty but new magazine. I wish I could dig it up…so ridiculous that it was funny. Basically it was a guy spending two pages describing how steroids fucked up his life. Some highlights I remember…

-Maggots began to infest his injection site on his quad
-The uncontrollable rage he felt on a daily basis caused him to assault random people
-He got so strong that “his muscle overpowered his tendon” and his quads ripped off his femur during a set of leg presses

In their defense, a lot of douche bags take it WAAY too far with the bench press. They screm on every rep like someone is shove a fork up their ass, when in reality they’re benching 135 -_-

I’m not defending EVERYONE who doesn’t like grunters. Some grunting is perfectly acceptable, but if you see a guy SCREAMING on a set of 8… don’t you get a little bit peeved?

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
In their defense, a lot of douche bags take it WAAY too far with the bench press. They screm on every rep like someone is shove a fork up their ass, when in reality they’re benching 135 -_-

I’m not defending EVERYONE who doesn’t like grunters. Some grunting is perfectly acceptable, but if you see a guy SCREAMING on a set of 8… don’t you get a little bit peeved?[/quote]

I know I do.

I saw some highschool ‘friends’ at the gym I go to when I’m back home. They were curling, screaming loudly. Not even a grunt really, a scream. On top of that, it was both of them, while only one was curling.

I have no problem with someone who is making noise moving heavy weights.

I am one of those that stays pretty quiet while lifting. I once accidentally let our a girly-grunt-breath type of thing while squatting. I felt silly.