T Nation

Has Anyone Tried This?

Has anyone tried this? I saw it in a bb mag and its just a seated cable row but the atachment is a straight bar so its supposed to mimic a barbell row without having to keep that form.

I used to do that. I’d grab the handle real wide and in limiting my arm contraction, would get a nice tight squeeze in my mid back. Presently I’ve been putting the tricep rope on the cable rows which I’m really digging.

S

Cable rows has its place (like if you have an injured back or want to strip off weight quickly), but barbell rows are better. It works more of the body and has more real-world carry-over (sounds better than “functionality”). Plus I don’t think the weight stack is heavy enough for some people.

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
Cable rows has its place (like if you have an injured back or want to strip off weight quickly), but barbell rows are better. It works more of the body and has more real-world carry-over (sounds better than “functionality”). Plus I don’t think the weight stack is heavy enough for some people.[/quote]

I totally agree but im asking because I do deadlifts also so I dont think I could hold that postition correctly after deadlifting.

I like wide grip cable rows alot, i get a real good feeling from them… however, i do not believe they helped me put anything on at all. I think the best gains in my back are from DL, Weighted Chins, DB ROW (big one for me).

I do many others and BB row has has some effect, but for me DB rows/chins rule.

Joe

i like using the rope for the cable row to, i find i can get a great squeeze from it for the back but id definitely have to agree with joe for the db row…good heavy ones.

[quote]crod266 wrote:
BF Bullpup wrote:
Cable rows has its place (like if you have an injured back or want to strip off weight quickly), but barbell rows are better. It works more of the body and has more real-world carry-over (sounds better than “functionality”). Plus I don’t think the weight stack is heavy enough for some people.

I totally agree but im asking because I do deadlifts also so I dont think I could hold that postition correctly after deadlifting.
[/quote]

True.

On a whim, I decided to do a ‘pull’ day today and decided I would do an ‘all cable workout’.

I did straight arm lat pull downs, close grip seated rows, but quickly found I could easily rep out 12 with all the weight on the machine-- so I went unilateral.

1-Arm seated cable row-- sat on floor, other hand on knee, pull and hold, like a B-O DB row, but horizontally with a palm down grip.

Then moved the attachment to the top and did 1-arm pulldowns, neutral grip (on knees). Doing these I discovered I have a bit of a strength imbalance between my right and left sides. I consistently could pull more reps with my right side than left.

They felt awesome and just a couple hours later, I’m already feeling my lats from targeting them.

I think I’m going to work these into my pull routine, at minimum to bring my left side strength up to the right.

I’ve tried those and they are great, but I prefer the seated cable bar that looks like this:

0—0

Where each of the '0’s contain a bar perpendicular to the straight bar in the middle to hold onto. I haven’t had the opportunity to use this in a while, but I jump at the chance to.

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
Cable rows has its place (like if you have an injured back or want to strip off weight quickly), but barbell rows are better. It works more of the body and has more real-world carry-over (sounds better than “functionality”). Plus I don’t think the weight stack is heavy enough for some people.[/quote]

I actually prefer cable rows. I’m able to get a better mind/muscle connection with cable rows over barbell rows. I usually feel barbell rows more in my bi’s and can concetrate on my back and still use heavier weight with cable rows.

The weight stack can be a problem for some people, but I’m not quite there yet…

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
<<< I actually prefer cable rows. I’m able to get a better mind/muscle connection with cable rows over barbell rows. I usually feel barbell rows more in my bi’s and can concetrate on my back and still use heavier weight with cable rows.

The weight stack can be a problem for some people, but I’m not quite there yet…[/quote]

I do somewhat better overall with cable rows too, but I still do barbell rows.

Sometimes I’ll do high cable rows where I use the Smith bar on my rack as a foot stopper and pull from the high cable. My machine is plate loaded and should be good for 400 pounds. At my age I doubt I’ll ever be able to row more than that.