T Nation

Has Anyone Played Madden 09?

Anyone played this yet? I heard it was supposed to ship with a lot of bugs in the gameplay. Any reports?

I don’t want to buy a game that I’ll have to download a patch for almost immediately.

It’s not too bad. I had to put the pass defense A.I. down a bit so the CPU QBs weren’t completing 90+%. The running offense is a little suspect, but it’s not too bad if you’re decent at it.

What’s the issue with the patch? They’re not going to charge you for it or anything.

[quote]SSC wrote:
It’s not too bad. I had to put the pass defense A.I. down a bit so the CPU QBs weren’t completing 90+%. The running offense is a little suspect, but it’s not too bad if you’re decent at it.

What’s the issue with the patch? They’re not going to charge you for it or anything.[/quote]

I don’t agree with the practice of shipping games that are inherently flawed. Finish the game, then release it. It’s a bad precedent and I don’t want to see it continue.

Are there any other bugs that you’ve noticed?

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

I don’t agree with the practice of shipping games that are inherently flawed. [/quote]

I’m with you on that one. I wish the developers would get that through their skulls.

PC games I can understand, you have thousands of possible hardware and software configurations possible, but consoles? Gimme a break.

Yeah, I can understand that, I’m just an impatient bastard so I go for it anyway. Interestingly enough, I think I recently read that some guys out in Cali or something are sueing EA sports because of their lack of progress with the franchise since owning the exclusive lisence. I’m glad someone’s doing something about, because EA is becoming a really fucking lazy company.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

I don’t agree with the practice of shipping games that are inherently flawed.

I’m with you on that one. I wish the developers would get that through their skulls.

PC games I can understand, you have thousands of possible hardware and software configurations possible, but consoles? Gimme a break.

[/quote]

Before the consoles had internet access, PC games always had that option of shipping early because they could issue patches later and just assume that everyone had internet access and would download it.

Now that all the consoles have online access, I really hope this isn’t a lazy habit that game developers are going to get into.

I understand a patch here and there is going to happen, but if games are consistently shipping with a need to immediately get a patch, then we have a problem.

There is a glitch for the 360 version that they REALLY need to fix. There is a glitch where you can direct hike the ball to the Wide reciever. It is the most cheeziest piece of shit crap I’ve come across. You have to forgive me but I ran into the glitch when playing a ranked game online and this dude ran the shit the entire game. Pissed me off. I hope to god they fix that with a patch.

[quote]Pootie Tang wrote:
There is a glitch for the 360 version that they REALLY need to fix. There is a glitch where you can direct hike the ball to the Wide reciever. It is the most cheeziest piece of shit crap I’ve come across. You have to forgive me but I ran into the glitch when playing a ranked game online and this dude ran the shit the entire game. Pissed me off. I hope to god they fix that with a patch.[/quote]

That’s some bullshit. On the other hand, rest assured that a dude like that will never get laid without having to pay for it. And even then it will be tough.

[quote]Pootie Tang wrote:
There is a glitch for the 360 version that they REALLY need to fix. There is a glitch where you can direct hike the ball to the Wide reciever. It is the most cheeziest piece of shit crap I’ve come across.

You have to forgive me but I ran into the glitch when playing a ranked game online and this dude ran the shit the entire game. Pissed me off. I hope to god they fix that with a patch.[/quote]

Wow, that’s cool.

The “Madden IQ” feature is interesting, too: you run through a series of drills to customize the difficulty level against the CPU. Although the drills are pretty easy, it still adjusts after each game.

Which is good when you suddenly find Kitna going 17 for 17 passing against you. :slight_smile: