Has anyone here ever worked for GNC?

I might get offered this job to work in a GNC store in the mall. I am in college and need $$$. I was wondering if anyone here ever worked for them in a retail capacity and if it was a good job, great job, or an appallingly bad job. Just wanto to hear any thoughts before I sign on the dotted line.

I myself have not but my sister has. She didn’t seem to complain too much. Other than some dude that bought something there started like stalking her.

There money is as good as anyone else’s. Maybe you can get employee discounts.

I worked at one in a college town last summer. It is good money if you can bullshit people with a smile. Most companies will offer varying promotional monies to push their product and yes you do get an employee discount. It can get very annoying with people who obviously dont have their diets or training in order coming in wanting to talk for 2 hrs about supplemens that will help them in ‘getting swole’ or ‘ripping up’ or whatever they decide to call their goals and not buy anything. To tell the truth I took to downright lying as I learned from my more experienced coworkers. Bottom line if you are friendly and dont mind bending the truth to sell employee friendly products you can do very well for yourself. Thanks and take care.

Hey,
I worked at GNC for about 6 months. Depending on how much traffic the store has, the sales commission can be beneficial. However, the base pay was …meager and my observation was that the management at the store level didn’t make much more than the rank and file. The discount was okay, but the problem was I could never get what I was looking for from the store I worked at (and didn’t have extra money due to the afformentioned “pay”). It is the epitome of the mall employment experience.

[quote]beef215 wrote:
I worked at one in a college town last summer. It is good money if you can bullshit people with a smile. Most companies will offer varying promotional monies to push their product and yes you do get an employee discount. It can get very annoying with people who obviously dont have their diets or training in order coming in wanting to talk for 2 hrs about supplemens that will help them in ‘getting swole’ or ‘ripping up’ or whatever they decide to call their goals and not buy anything. To tell the truth I took to downright lying as I learned from my more experienced coworkers. Bottom line if you are friendly and dont mind bending the truth to sell employee friendly products you can do very well for yourself. Thanks and take care. [/quote]

I never lied to people about what they were getting. Hell, I tried to talk some people out of the supplements that I knew were utter crap. Some people insisted on buying them. I guess that was why I didn’t last…no killer sales instinct.

I worked at some in the early 90’s. Its not a bad job. Sure, you sell some stuff that you know is crap, but if someone wants something, give it to them. I learned a lot working there, its a great place to compare labels, read magazines for free and do your homework. Not all their customers are dummies either, I had some good discussions there. We used to get an employee discount. I don’t remember what it was.

sigh
I find out today if I get the job. I just need some cash for books right now b/c those fuchers are going to be $400 for four cheap plastic bindings that will fall apart before the semester is over. What are some great places in anyone’s experience to work at?

Tiffy- my advice to anyone who isn’t already working at a good job is this: get a sales job w/a good commission.

The amount of interaction, the people you meet, and the verbal skills you learn will be invaluable in the future.

Working in a GNC in a mall won’t do much for you I’m afraid.

Try selling door-to-door like my friend who sold Omaha steaks and regularly cleaned house.

I did door-to-door canvassing and door-to-door charity fund raising.

THen I a/w/a some of my friends sold cars; 1 sold trucks; sell real estate, whatever.

In my 1st month at a shitty, tiny Hyundai dealership I made 750 a week, probably MORE than double what you’ll make at a GNC. That was in December btw, not a good month for car sales. July Aug and Sep are the best months for selling cars so I recommend doing it NOW!

My friend is still selling trucks even tho he has a BA because he’s pulling in over 50gs, the friend who sold steaks is one of the best salesmen I know and makes 30gs a year part-time in a hardware store (!) while going to college, another friend sells financing at a dealership and is on pace for 150 gs this year, etc etc.

Trust me, aim high, don’t settle for a job w/ a discount. You’ll make more in 1 good day of sales thatn in a year’s worth of discounts.

And if you’re shy? That then becomes the #1 reason for doing sales! The only way to conquer your fears is to confront them…