T Nation

Has Anyone Done OVT?

I started it last week, but i’m not sure i 'like the routines. The idea is good in concept, but i didn’t get very sore from doing the workouts.

any thoughts?

I’ve done OVT and I as well did not get very sore from the workouts but I know I worked my ass off trying to complete them. The squat workout is brutal. I added about 10lbs of muscle using OVT and massive eating. Probably could have added more but 10lbs was my goal so it ended up working perfectly.

What does being sore have to do with a good workout?

“Adaptation, as opposed to repair, does not involve tissue damage and pain-it depends on painless reconstruction and modification of muscle cells…” (Siff) and he also states “Post-exercise soreness does not relate AT ALL to effectiveness of ANY exercise”(Siff)

Train for specific adaptations, not feelings. If you get good results from OVT, then stick too it. If not, modify your training. Hope this helps you out. Drew

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:
I started it last week, but i’m not sure i 'like the routines. The idea is good in concept, but i didn’t get very sore from doing the workouts.

any thoughts?[/quote]

What didn’t you like about the routines?

I have done OVT in the past. The workouts are very difficult to get through and tend to be what i consider marathon sessions.

As stated above, I don’t think that you should be relying on soreness as an indicator of workout effectiveness. You have only done it for one week, why not try one more and see if you improve from last week. If you start something new you really are losing the week you already put in.

i think you should stick it out and make sure to eat big to help your recovery.

I was definitely sore after the first week, but like has already been said soreness shouldn’t be an indicator. I got a LOT stronger on OVT, the work rate was especially high doing the dead lift workout, and I put on about ten pounds of solid muscle after 8 weeks of following the program. it works, stick with it, remember to keep adding weight from week to week tho.

Me and my training partner did OVT and we where both very happy with the results. I think I gained about 4 pounds of muscle, no fat gain and got a lot stronger (good results for me). The workouts where brutal, but in a goood way. My diet could have been better(might have gotten even better results). I strongly recommend OVT.

later Tomas