Harvey Weinstein is a Scumbag, and Everyone Knew It

Ha! That’s it. Thank you, @pfury!

1 Like

Ridiculously rich, famous and narcissistic assholes are mad at each other and they want me to care. I don’t.

1 Like

As the father of two boys, this concerns me.

2 Likes

Yeah. It’s concerning. This happened to one of my son’s roommates. The girl had regrets after the fact, and felt like maybe it wasn’t consensual. He was sweating bullets thinking she was going to bring assault charges. She decided that it was consensual after all. Lucky for him.

BTW, they are always drinking in these deals.

This stems from Title IX policies, and there’s a lot of controversy. I haven’t watched this yet, but I saw that Rubin Report did a series about it.

1 Like

I think this is the right time to finally speak out about what happened to me …

When I was about 24, I was stationed in Ft. Walton Beach Florida at the AF base there. A buddy of mine and I went out on the town to a bar/restaurant then planned to go to a club after.

Anyway, I went to the bathroom and on my way back was accosted by a group of women out for a bachelorette party and pulled into the women’s bathroom. They proceeded to take off my shirt and pants and somehow my buddy found me and they pulled him in, too.

It was a gloriously good time. #metoo #amidoingthisright

8 Likes

Sadly, if you are a man (or woman) who thinks that the other person is going to file charges then you need to file first.

That is very brave of you. I am inspired to share my story now too.

Well, here’s my problem with the #metoo thing. Is that all these people are claiming sexual misconduct, yet are still refusing to name, names. Which goes to Beans point about watering down the message. And if you are female who looks halfway decent, some male in their life at one time or another has acted inappropriately towards them. Does it constitute true harassment? And for these actresses who claim it happened to them, can we get some names? Maybe John Q Public does not want to support pigs in the entertainment business. Maybe some should be investigated. And if the claims are true, no slander case can be brought up against you.

1 Like

Honestly, it’s pretty easy to not cheat lol.

But that is coming from someone who loves his wife, and wouldn’t risk losing his family for cheap sex.

Let’s also not pretend we aren’t all pretty damn dorky here… Not that there aren’t beautiful people in my profession, there are… But it takes a certain level of “odd” to wake up in the morning being happy to call yourself a CPA/accountant everyday…

That minority being the person interjecting themselves into an issue for “attention”, yes I agree.

Virtue signaling has become the “new black”

This. I don’t. But if you like movies, it seems like you don’t have a choice, it’s so rampant in that hell hole of an industry.

2 Likes

Well, you can try to adjust your movie watching in a way that’s less profitable to the makers, like wait for it to hit another format rather than going to the theater. It’s just a thought. There are so few movies I want to see, this is not a problem for me. I hate superhero’s. Why do we need to make an imaginary evil guy who is defeated by someone with imaginary powers in the year 2017, where facts have been far stranger than fiction? But that’s just me. I prefer a good documentary about real events. I also like good dramas and some comedies but I can wait 'til they hit the Netfilx.

PSA. Torrenting with a secure VPN is both very cheap and very simple to accomplish.

Bonus points because you never have to take off your pajamas and nobody judges you.

3 Likes

A few months after movies come out on DVD, they are available for free at my local library. But it’s been years since I have really wanted to see anything that came out.

Thoughts? Full Text due to Paywall.

The condemnations of Harvey Weinstein’s egregious behavior have become a deluge. We’ve seen this before—an ever-increasing tirade against a once-respected figure. It is as though we’ve learned the habit of outrage and feel obliged to be even more dramatically horrified than we were the last time this kind of news was revealed.

Woody Allen, admittedly a dubious judge, has been lambasted for warning against a witch hunt. But Mr. Weinstein can be guilty and still be the object of what looks like a hypocritical hunger for blood. Where were all these people who now say they were aware of his behavior a year, a decade, a quarter-century ago? Too afraid to speak up then but empowered to do so now when there is a chorus to back them up. It’s more like a lynch mob than a witch hunt. A lynch mob is still a lynch mob, even when its target is guilty.

The problem here goes beyond Harvey Weinstein. It is a symptom of a kind of responsiveness that has permeated this country on many levels and on many fronts. When the media becomes judge and jury, groupthink sets in and the mob expresses its indignation. No one is allowed to doubt or to express sympathy.

In the case of Mr. Weinstein, a man once lauded for his artistic taste and enjoyed for his crude but refreshing New Yorker manners is now the most egregiously horrible individual who ever lived, reduced overnight from a mogul into a monster—though at the same time we are told that everyone really knew what he was all along. Meanwhile, the media continues to relay one prurient detail after another, feeding the public’s maw for gossip, while allowing us to indulge in high-minded outrage.

There is something deeply worrisome about this kind of flattening process, both for what it says about those who never spoke up until now and for what it says about our inability to grasp the complexity of the human condition. We wonder about trolling on the internet, but our press encourages this in its tabloid-style piling on of reporting—in its inability to contextualize or restrain itself in the face of the public appetite for more of the same.

The Weinstein case has its correlative in the political arena. On both sides of the political spectrum, we seem driven by a need for dramatic outrage that masquerades as virtue. Once a case has been made in the public sphere, on whichever side, the case gets made again and again in increasingly simplistic terms. Any attempt to see around or outside the established scenario means that you are a bad person. The deadening, coercive nature of this kind of thinking is disturbing.

I am upset by what is happening in our country today. I don’t like the mean-spirited way our president behaves and expresses himself. I don’t like the way much of the press, both on the right and the left, seems intent on smug, simplistic reporting. I don’t like the way gestures, such as showing exuberance or seeming disrespect on the football field, have been blown up to mean something more or other than they should.

I don’t like the way some college students have become self-righteous know-it-alls, claiming to be traumatized by words and texts. And I don’t like the way many teachers have been made to feel they must toe a party line and walk on eggshells. This is not the way to nurture democracy, fairness and human compassion.

Get Harvey Weinstein out of the newspapers and into the courts. If convicted, punish him as the law requires, but remember that he, like all of us, is a human being. We have forgotten this about anyone who has been labeled our opposition, and this has made us a meaner and ultimately more dangerous country.

Ms. Cohen is a professor of English at Drexel University, where she is dean of the Pennoni Honors College.

3 Likes

Might want to sandbox those torrents. Lots of electronically transmitted diseases in them.

If you stick with mainstream downloads you’ll virtually never run into anything that Avira can’t handle. That’s a good point though.

Follow up PSA. Also run an active scan on ANY torrent you download through a 3rd party.

How soon before she apologizes?

1 Like

I had just finished reading that before I came back in. It reflects my own annoyance at overhyping anything that pushes the narrative while ignoring events that don’t. I’m pretty much tired of the hype. It’s Hollywood’s problem and yet somehow they want to make this about everyone ejse. Pretty typical, but out here and the real world we mere mortal men have women colleagues and bosses and a seeming dearth of casting couches.

1 Like

Our legal system assigns as its first priority the responsibility to insure that the innocent are not punished for that which they didn’t do. The unfortunate result of this is that the guilty often have many tools at their disposal to escape punishment (particularly the guilty who are rich or well connected). This result is especially pronounced in crimes of a sexual nature where proving that something was non-consensual is often the word of one individual against another (and the presumption of innocence cannot thus be overcome).

Similarly, a pattern of behavior is fairly easy to use in the court of public opinion but much more complicated in a court of law. In the case of Harvey Weinstein, for instance, the utter deluge of different women coming forward alleging misconduct is fairly convincing. But from a legal perspective, this amounts to dozens of witnesses each alleging a different criminal act, rather than dozens of witness corroborating each other’s stories. This is not insurmountable, but it’s the difference between proving that Harvey Weinstein is a scumbag and proving that he did a particular, specific, scummy thing at a certain time in a certain way.

Increasingly we see attempts to make an end-run around our legal system by turning to other institutions and trying to make them enforce punishments without the same protections for the accused. This includes employers, educators, professional organizations, and the media. Generally, these institutions are not empowered to impose prison and related punishments that the legal system has at its disposal. Nonetheless, the consequences are often life-changing and serious enough that standards of proof and protections for the accused need to be considered seriously. Ultimately, these attempts cut the legal system out of the punishment process amount to little more than lynch mobs, as the article suggests.

2 Likes

I don’t follow Hollywood much but doesn’t surprise me in the least bit. Where power exists this type of thing is all too common. I hope more Hollywood elites of his type who have done something similar face a downfall as women become empowered.

Then again we had someone who has had many women say he sexually assaulted them and then was caught saying he sexually assaulted women and we decided to elect him to our current president despite having experience with scumbags like Clinton.

Also said scumbag really likes talking about wanting his daughter.

2 Likes

Dude with power who is way too ugly to get frequent sex from these women…yeah he looks exactly like someone who would do this.

2 Likes