Harvard Welcomes Terrorist

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Sincerity? From media whores? The left is nothing but a pack of poll watching media sluts.

But I will take a free ride to Wharton, if you are really giving the shit away hspder. [/quote]

Rove unabashedly disagrees.

Harvard has been pulling cheap crap like this for years. Its just now its a terorist. Perhaps instead of providing protection the state police should take that bastard out. I would arrest the mayor for treason and aiding abetting the enemy, and placing law enforcement officials in unecessary danger. I could have one heck of a case.

Oh and I want a part in the movie.

[quote]hspder wrote:
Michael Shanks as nephorm
[/quote]

Well, we can all dream.

sigh

Doesn’t seem any worse than W speaking at Bob Jones University…you know, that one that hates blacks, Jews, Catholics and immigrants?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Doesn’t seem any worse than W speaking at Bob Jones University…you know, that one that hates blacks, Jews, Catholics and immigrants?

[/quote]

Now THAT’S a story.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[/quote]

You misunderstand the timing of the speech. I may disagree with who Harvard wants to have come speak - but they have every right to do it.

But doing it on the eve of 9-11’s 5th anniversery is pretty sorry.

Is everything relative to you?

Plus - I’d like to see where it is written that Bob Jones is against blacks and catholics - and all the other racisit implications you made.

That is sorry. Sorry - but typical of the whacked out fringe left.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

You misunderstand the timing of the speech. I may disagree with who Harvard wants to have come speak - but they have every right to do it.
[/quote]

Cool.

I can agree.

However, that doesn’t mean that they should be lynched, as others on this board have suggested.

No. But most people in politics are hypocritical, and there is very often a polar opposite that has just as much irony. This is an example of that.

Really? Not racist? They only allowed dating outside of your own race what, six years ago? A university!

Hell, even then, you could only date interacially if you a note from your parents!! No green eyed Mexican girls for you, Rainjack, without a note from your mom first.

On their website they refer to colors as “black, white, and yellow”. Yellow? Ouch.

We love Catholics…as long as they’ll convert.

They do the same condemning of Catholics that SteveO does- we’re burning in hell because Bob Jones says we are.

[quote]
That is sorry. Sorry - but typical of the whacked out fringe left. [/quote]

Sorry?

No. What’s sorry is that if it’s not conservative, it’s part of the “Fringe left”, but if it is conservative, well, then its just American.

Laughable.

Come On Irish…

Even the catholic church will not recognize interfaith marraiges.

Are they tantamount to terrorism now? I mean if we are going to start splitting hairs…

Bob Jones is a very conservative christian school. I may not agree with their “rules” - but guess what? I just don’t send my kids there. And if they are not breaking any laws, why does it bunch you panties so badly?

You are just as bad as those you accuse of wanting to for a lynch mob against Harvard.

And that is just pathetic. You only have an open mind when you agree with something.

Good Lord - if it is religous you are the first one to start tying a hangman’s noose.

[quote]hspder wrote:

I felt my social-democratic beliefs are much better reflected in Stanford’s culture (like when we stopped GWB from entering our campus last time he tried). [/quote]

I hope all of you are beginning to fathom the pure evil of liberals — its okay to have a former Iranian murdering thug come to Harvard, its ‘just a publicity stunt’, but Hspder and his cronies stop the president of the United States from entering the grounds of Stanford.

This is pure evil.

Are you a citizen Hspder? You need to be shat out of this country on the nearest and fastest plane. Flushhhhh…

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
hspder wrote:

I felt my social-democratic beliefs are much better reflected in Stanford’s culture (like when we stopped GWB from entering our campus last time he tried).

I hope all of you are beginning to fathom the pure evil of liberals — its okay to have a former Iranian murdering thug come to Harvard, its ‘just a publicity stunt’, but Hspder and his cronies stop the president of the United States from entering the grounds of Stanford.

This is pure evil.

Are you a citizen Hspder? You need to be shat out of this country on the nearest and fastest plane. Flushhhhh…

[/quote]

F Stanford!

Seagulls fly upside down over Stanford’s campus as this crap is too good for that institution.

*just kidding

The Hoover Institute is at Stanford and Condi taught there before accepting a job from Bush.

Stanford is not as liberal as hspder would have us believe.

Let’s invite these folks to come to Stanford, since that evil GWB is not allowed!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

This is pure evil.
[/quote]

It isn’t evil. It’s freedom. Harvard is free to invite a thug to speak to its students, or to tell said thug to get lost. Stanford is free to invite Bush to speak, or to say that they’d prefer he not come.

Thankfully, we don’t legislate manners or good taste.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

This is pure evil.

It isn’t evil. It’s freedom. Harvard is free to invite a thug to speak to its students, or to tell said thug to get lost. Stanford is free to invite Bush to speak, or to say that they’d prefer he not come.

Thankfully, we don’t legislate manners or good taste.[/quote]

Agreed. Evil? I think child kidnappers are evil, not Universities who don’t like conservatives.

Having the President speak at your University, Business or facility is considered an honor in most parts of the country.

This should have been explained to the Stanford students by their administration and faculty. However, from Hspedr’s comments the faculty doesn’t see things that way.

It speaks more to personal bias then anything else. God help the professor who goes against the party line, he would be an outcast. Likewise a student who would disagree or question commonly held beliefs.

You can respect the office even if you don’t respect the man. If you ever have the chance to meet a president you should feel honored, whether you like him or not.

As to Harvard inviting a terrorist to speak, it’s not suprising. Harvard is an American University because it is located in the US, that’s about it. It has an international student body, faculty and administration. It’s doubtful if even the US students have a strong sense of country or national pride let alone a sense of duty or allegiance. They may develop one but they will not learn to do so at Harvard.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

This is pure evil.

Thankfully, we don’t legislate manners or good taste.[/quote]

That’s the point. Bush WAS invited but because the libs objected, they wouldn’t allow the man on their campus. They have no qualms against a beast from Iran (its ‘just a publicity stunt, afterall’) but object to our president. They profess to believe in freedom until it comes to their own backyard. What about those who WANTED to hear the president speak?

The hypocrisy is just overwhelming.

Ask any lib if people have, for ex, the right to form unions. “Well, sure! I’m all for it!” — until someone wants a union at a place owned by that very same lib. Then its: “Oh, my employees don’t need a union. And if they think they do, well, no one is forcing them to work here!”

Just plain stunning hypocrisy!!

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
The Hoover Institute is at Stanford and Condi taught there before accepting a job from Bush.

Stanford is not as liberal as hspder would have us believe.[/quote]

Just look at the stats on political preferences of Stanford students and faculty, and you’ll realize that Stanford, is, in fact, one of the most liberal universities in the developed world, second only to Cambridge.

However, contrary to what some people accuse us of, we actually enjoy hearing dissenting opinions, and hence we welcome the Hoover Institution. Heck, I actually thoroughly enjoy having deep discussions with some of the Hoover guys over lunch. So does most everybody else.

I’d miss them if they went away. I have very close friends there. Some of them even came to my house warming party the other day – by train (that was one of the “requirements”). The SF Bay Area is so overwhelmingly liberal that if we hadn’t those guys around we’d have no-one to argue with. And that would make our life very boring.

What happened to GWB was quite simply our students showing how they felt about GWB. He wasn’t coming here for a public speech, just to have a meeting with the Hoover Institution guys, and he still had his meeting with the Hoover Institution guys – he just had to move off campus.

The fact Bush is a Republican had nothing to do with him being barred from entering the campus. Far from it. As I said, we welcome discussion. The problem was not political, but rather VERY personal, and is a sentiment shared by many in this country – in fact, by the majority of the population of this country. We just have pretty ballsy students (that’s how we pick’em) and rather than sitting silent, they took a stance.

Their manifestation is at the very core of the foundations this country was built on – our Founding Fathers made sure we had the tools to protest against and even overthrow any government who was working against our best interest – and anybody who doesn’t realize that is the one who should be wondering if they’re in the right country.

Ah, with regards to Condi: her job her was as a Provost and that was a PC decision that cost us dearly and most people deeply regret (if for nothing else, because she bit the hand that fed her). A learning experience.

But, again, the fact that most people here hate her has NOTHING to do with the fact that she is a Republican. It has to do with her PERSONAL behavior. I had the displeasure of interacting with her couple of times, and, honestly, I had never met someone so power-thirsty and so bent on making everyone below her miserable (except for most of the population of New Jersey, but that’s another story…).

And I wasn’t even “below” her at the time; I was just watching the show. But somehow seeing other people be treated that way – and being powerless to stop it – is 10x more painful than being treated that way yourself… you know what I mean.

Anyway, even though the majority is pretty leftist, there are many right wingers in our faculty, some of them in rather senior positions. We have nothing against them – unless they would start defending Bush’s more egregious mistakes, but, because they actually are smart conservatives, they never do and, almost invariably, are the first ones to criticize him (in fact by far the most vocal opponents of Bush’s budgetary policy are the conservatives…).

[quote]hspder wrote:

However, contrary to what some people accuse us of, we actually enjoy hearing dissenting opinions, and hence we welcome the Hoover Institution. Heck, I actually thoroughly enjoy having deep discussions with some of the Hoover guys over lunch. So does most everybody else.

That’s why you prevented him from coming on your campus?

What happened to GWB was quite simply our students showing how they felt about GWB. He wasn’t coming here for a public speech, just to have a meeting with the Hoover Institution guys, and he still had his meeting with the Hoover Institution guys – he just had to move off campus.

What about the (few) who wanted him on campus? They’ve got no right to THEIR views and opinions?
These students of yours are reminiscent of Hitler Junge. Shout down whomsover you disagree with!

Does no one else here see how purely evil this is? If GWB wanted to come on their private lawns, sure, they’ve got every right. But this…these students deserve a swift kick in the face, the little fucking fascists!

[/quote]

[quote]hspder wrote:

Headhunter wrote:
That’s why you prevented him from coming on your campus?[/quote]

Actually, it was. GWB wasn’t here to have an intelligent, open discussion with the general faculty, nor with the students. In fact, I have yet to see or hear him accept being in such an event. We have asked him, he refused. If he did, he’d be welcome with open arms – we’d be thrilled with the opportunity. The only reason he doesn’t accept it is because he and his posse are perfectly aware that he would have no chance with their talking points if they tried arguing against one of the most well-educated, well-prepared, intelligent and motivated crowds on the planet. Not because he’s a conservative, mind you – some conservatives actually represent a challenge – but because he’s, well, he. And it’s sad – we’d all like the Leader of the Free World to be able to take on arguments from a bunch of above-average kids. Clearly, he is not and he knows he isn’t.

So if he doesn’t want to have an open discussion, we don’t want him here. Simple as that.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
What about the (few) who wanted him on campus? They’ve got no right to THEIR views and opinions?[/quote]

He DID talk to the (few) who wanted him on campus. However, since the majority didn’t want him in here (it’s a private property, he as no implicit right to be here), he ended up talking to them off-campus. It was a minor (if any) inconvenience for him and for his supporters – but an important symbolic gesture from our students. As I said, allowing them to take a stance and sending him on his way is exactly the foundation this country was built on, and if you don’t like it… it’s your problem, not mine.

[quote]iscariot wrote:
doogie wrote:
iscariot wrote:

Novel concept: Free speech in an ostensibly open society is something that must apply to all - whether they are good/ bad or whatever.

Long time since I’ve read your crap. Free speech isn’t the issue. The scumbag has the right to say what he wants. The issue is an institution of higher learning providing him a forum. It is tasteless.

Doogie!! I’ve missed your close-minded ad-hom misanthropy :slight_smile:

If you can’t exercise free-speech in an institution of higher learning then I would suggest that the whole point of a higher learning institution is abrogated.

I’m unsure how [1]It’s tasteless and [2] What taste has to do with information; something doesn’t ahve to be palatable or correct (dependent on your world view) in order to hold value or interest. [/quote]

You don’t understand the concept of free speech do you?

Harvard is suppressing my right to free speech by not having me speak to their student body.

[quote]hspder wrote:
hspder wrote:

Headhunter wrote:
That’s why you prevented him from coming on your campus?

Actually, it was. GWB wasn’t here to have an intelligent, open discussion with the general faculty, nor with the students. In fact, I have yet to see or hear him accept being in such an event. We have asked him, he refused. If he did, he’d be welcome with open arms – we’d be thrilled with the opportunity. The only reason he doesn’t accept it is because he and his posse are perfectly aware that he would have no chance with their talking points if they tried arguing against one of the most well-educated, well-prepared, intelligent and motivated crowds on the planet. Not because he’s a conservative, mind you – some conservatives actually represent a challenge – but because he’s, well, he. And it’s sad – we’d all like the Leader of the Free World to be able to take on arguments from a bunch of above-average kids. Clearly, he is not and he knows he isn’t.

So if he doesn’t want to have an open discussion, we don’t want him here. Simple as that.

Headhunter wrote:
What about the (few) who wanted him on campus? They’ve got no right to THEIR views and opinions?

He DID talk to the (few) who wanted him on campus. However, since the majority didn’t want him in here (it’s a private property, he as no implicit right to be here), he ended up talking to them off-campus. It was a minor (if any) inconvenience for him and for his supporters – but an important symbolic gesture from our students. As I said, allowing them to take a stance and sending him on his way is exactly the foundation this country was built on, and if you don’t like it… it’s your problem, not mine.
[/quote]

The students and faculty of Stanford are hardly peers of the president of the United States…despite what you may think. You would bring little if anything to the table.

He wouldn’t want to visit to have a frank discussion because it is doubtful you would be able to add anything relevant to his worldview. This goes for GWB or anyone any other president. When a US president makes a visit you listen…he talks. That’s it.

Arroganced is the downfall of many men. Humility and respect would serve your students far better then arrogance. Sad to say this is the state of higher education in the US…and you folks seem rather proud of it.