Harvard Welcomes Terrorist

Good old Massachusetts is up to it again. On Sept 10, Harvard is welcoming the former leader of Iran to speak to its students. He claims to speak of tolerence and muslum moderation, but he has also used those famous words “Death to Israel” and under his power tried to develop nuclear weopons. He shut down hundreds of media outlets in his country. He has imprisoned thousands, mostly journalists. He openly supports Hezbolah. So who does Harvard pick to speak the day before Sept 11? a terrorist.

One bright spot is our governor. Mitt Romney openly bashed Harvard and said he would not allow the state police to provide protection. That is when the mayor of Boston stepped in and said he would happliy provide protection for this A-hole. I love New England but it is sometimes a joke. Do people in other parts of the country laugh at us ?? By the way this is my first post on this sight and I look foward to being a member

[quote]goody wrote:
So who does Harvard pick to speak the day before Sept 11? a terrorist.

I love New England but it is sometimes a joke. [/quote]

So let me ask you: since Harvard is such a horrible institution, if I told you that I could get you in their MBA program with a full scholarship, you wouldn’t be interested, right?

Just wondering.

Because if you don’t see this for what it is – a PR stunt from a superb University that lives off brand recognition and networking – honestly I don’t think you’d have much of a future there anyway.

[quote]hspder wrote:

Because if you don’t see this for what it is – a PR stunt from a superb University that lives off brand recognition and networking – honestly I don’t think you’d have much of a future there anyway.
[/quote]

That doesn’t justify it. In fact, it’s a shame that this kind of garbage would appeal to anyone.

[quote]doogie wrote:
That doesn’t justify it. In fact, it’s a shame that this kind of garbage would appeal to anyone.[/quote]

I never said it justified it. It just explains it. Explain != justify.

However, first of all, it’s not about appeal. It’s about brand recognition. And, on top of it, Harvard is not interested in only the US market. Especially considering that almost invariably foreign students are far more successful there than their US counterparts.

Contrary to Stanford – which was built with a clear primary objective of educating people to the highest standard and creating successful and, most of all, competent professionals – Harvard is, above all, a business about global networking – about meeting influential people that can get you “in”. And it has been wildly successful at it, as any Harvard alumnus can testify.

I could have gone to Harvard (have been invited a few times), but I always declined because (although I have tremendous respect for Harvard’s accomplishments and many of its professors) I felt my social-democratic beliefs are much better reflected in Stanford’s culture (like when we stopped GWB from entering our campus last time he tried). So I have to admit that seeing a conservative capitalist actually frown upon Harvard and its technocratic and pragmatic approach is somewhat amusing to me. :slight_smile:

And just so we’re clear: assuming the Stanford powers that be had a case of temporary insanity (like the one they had when they hired Condi) and invited him too, if this guy tried to enter our campus, I’m pretty sure his chances of getting in would be even worse than GWB’s.

[quote]goody wrote:

Good old Massachusetts is up to it again. On Sept 10, Harvard is welcoming the former leader of Iran to speak to its students. He claims to speak of tolerence and muslum moderation, but he has also used those famous words “Death to Israel” and under his power tried to develop nuclear weopons. He shut down hundreds of media outlets in his country. He has imprisoned thousands, mostly journalists. He openly supports Hezbolah. So who does Harvard pick to speak the day before Sept 11? a terrorist.[/quote]

Yes, a real shame - but considering what passes for ‘open mindedness’ and ‘dialogue’ in higher education these days, it is difficult to be surprised.

Heheh - of course. But everyone gets their turn at some point.

Welcome, and glad to have you.

Hspder, You would fit in perfect here in MA. A bunch of liberals spinning there wheels. No solutions just finger pointing. Harvard is a great school,and I would happily attend if asked to. Unfortunately, I tried to put the square peg in the round hole, and I dont think they have small buses. People might laugh at the hockey helmet I have to wear because of my squishy cranium.

[quote]goody wrote:
Good old Massachusetts is up to it again. On Sept 10, Harvard is welcoming the former leader of Iran to speak to its students.[/quote]

Novel concept: Free speech in an ostensibly open society is something that must apply to all - whether they are good/ bad or whatever.

I didn’t see anywhere, in what you wrote, that Harvard is making anyone attend the man’s address. Neither did I read that acceptance of the man’s viewpoint will be mandatory.

One of the novel concepts of a complete education is that it doesn’t exist simply to confirm your biases and viewpoint: although many would prefer that if the reaction to differing viewpoints is to be taken into consideration.

I’m convinced, reading many of the posts here, that if people had been around 1000 years ago they would have been staunch defenders of the flat-earth sol-centric models of the universe as it was ‘right-thinking’.

…and in case you’re interested: Freedom of knowledge and information is not a liberal plot and attempting to say that someone shouldn’t speak in your society because of the rules in theirs is devaluing the rules of your society you’re so in favour of.

[quote]iscariot wrote:

Novel concept: Free speech in an ostensibly open society is something that must apply to all - whether they are good/ bad or whatever.
[/quote]

Long time since I’ve read your crap. Free speech isn’t the issue. The scumbag has the right to say what he wants. The issue is an institution of higher learning providing him a forum. It is tasteless.

[quote]
I didn’t see anywhere, in what you wrote, that Harvard is making anyone attend the man’s address. Neither did I read that acceptance of the man’s viewpoint will be mandatory. [/quote]

I’m sure know one was asked if they wanted their tuition money to go toward this crap.

Being exposed to them in a classroom setting is a different issue than the school supporting and providing a forum for the scumbag to speak.

[quote]
…and in case you’re interested: Freedom of knowledge and information is not a liberal plot and attempting to say that someone shouldn’t speak in your society because of the rules in theirs is devaluing the rules of your society you’re so in favour of. [/quote]

The guy is free to speak. It is a disgrace that Harvard has asked (and is most likely PAYING for) him to do so.

[quote]doogie wrote:
iscariot wrote:

Long time since I’ve read your crap. Free speech isn’t the issue. The scumbag has the right to say what he wants. The issue is an institution of higher learning providing him a forum. It is tasteless.[/quote]

Doogie!! I’ve missed your close-minded ad-hom misanthropy :slight_smile:

If you can’t exercise free-speech in an institution of higher learning then I would suggest that the whole point of a higher learning institution is abrogated.

I’m unsure how [1]It’s tasteless and [2] What taste has to do with information; something doesn’t ahve to be palatable or correct (dependent on your world view) in order to hold value or interest.

[quote]doogie wrote:
iscariot wrote:

Long time since I’ve read your crap. Free speech isn’t the issue. The scumbag has the right to say what he wants. The issue is an institution of higher learning providing him a forum. It is tasteless.[/quote]

Doogie!! I’ve missed your close-minded ad-hom misanthropy :slight_smile:

If you can’t exercise free-speech in an institution of higher learning then I would suggest that the whole point of a higher learning institution is abrogated.

I’m unsure how [1]It’s tasteless and [2] What taste has to do with information; something doesn’t ahve to be palatable or correct (dependent on your world view) in order to hold value or interest.

I was goofing. I don’t see how anyone could have a problem with this guy.

I don’t care either way.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
I don’t care either way.[/quote]

Me either. I hate blatant publicity stunts and this just reeks of it. I would be more interested if there was a point or this action was sincere.

Sincerity? From media whores? The left is nothing but a pack of poll watching media sluts.

But I will take a free ride to Wharton, if you are really giving the shit away hspder.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Sincerity? From media whores? The left is nothing but a pack of poll watching media sluts.
[/quote]

Because “the right” cares nothing for such things, huh?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Because “the right” cares nothing for such things, huh?[/quote]

What we have in Congress is not “the right”. It is the worst type of whore imaginable - the power whore.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
But I will take a free ride to Wharton, if you are really giving the shit away hspder. [/quote]

Wharton? I couldn’t do that to you, man. Especially since they built an alliance and started exchanging students with Berkeley’s Haas School of Business and France’s INSEAD. Imagine: you in MBA class with pseudo-intellectuals AND French people? That’s like the very definition of Hell for you.

Even if you were into SM and begged me for it, I am ethically bound to hate anything connected to Berkeley, a place named after one of the most hated characters by Scientists in general and Mathematicians in particular – bishop Berkeley – INSEAD because, well, it’s in France, or Wharton, because, well, they’re in bed with those guys PLUS Donald Trump…

[quote]hspder wrote:
Wharton? I couldn’t do that to you, man. Especially since they built an alliance and started exchanging students with Berkeley’s Haas School of Business and France’s INSEAD. Imagine: you in MBA class with pseudo-intellectuals AND French people? That’s like the very definition of Hell for you.

[/quote]

I wouldn’t be so worried about me if I were you - You should be more concerned about the damage I could do to them. French AND pseudo-smarty, self-indulgent west coast libs?

I’d eat 'em alive.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I’d eat 'em alive.
[/quote]

Literally.

He and ProfX would split a sammich.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
rainjack wrote:
I’d eat 'em alive.

Literally.

He and ProfX would split a sammich.[/quote]

That would be some kickass movie. Can I have the rights?

I can already see the credits…

T-Nation does Wharton

Directed by Quentin Tarantino
Written by hspder and nephorm

Cast:
Michael Clarke Duncan as Professor X
Terrence Gene “Hulk Hogan” Bollea as rainjack
Dwayne Douglas “The Rock” Johnson as hspder
Morena Baccarin as hspder’s wife
Beyonce Knowles as Professor X’s love interest
Michael Shanks as nephorm
Donald Trump as Donald Trump