Harvard Professor is a Powerlifter

[quote]Tumbles wrote:
Did anybody notice his wife wouldn’t watch him compete, and told the paper she originally thought he was just fat and that he wasn’t a handy guy? Sounds like a bitch.[/quote]

I wouldn’t judge the man’s wife without knowing the entirety of her interview with the paper.

Besides, if you watch him in the video, he looks like a guy who could appear chubby based on what he wears (and the perception of whoever is judging), and neither of us can say for sure whether or not he is does much around the house (a comment that sounds more like married couple banter to me, to be honest).

I read the article but have yet to see the post detazathoth put up or watch the imbeded video.

That is fucking cool. I am really impressed with guys like this. The Cohens and Justin Harris of the world (Harris is/was studying physics for while). It makes it seem pathetic when people bitch about having time for work and lifting, yet these guys go and lift (and do really well) and then go on to set up lesson plans AND teach at Harvard. Fucking inspiring.

[quote]Tumbles wrote:
Wow…

Did anybody notice his wife wouldn’t watch him compete, and told the paper she originally thought he was just fat and that he wasn’t a handy guy? Sounds like a bitch.[/quote]

It actually surprises me that he would end up with someone who won’t watch him compete when it seems to be such a large part of his life. I wouldn’t call her a bitch because you don’t know her, but it does sound like she is only in love with part of him…and for me personally, that just wouldn’t do.

Most people that reach a high level in anything generally have the drive to exceed at whatever they apply themselves to. Here is another example, Rob Meulenberg, Strongman of science on Vimeo . PhD, Pro-Strongman, and now a professor out in Maine.

[quote]anonym wrote:
Tumbles wrote:
Did anybody notice his wife wouldn’t watch him compete, and told the paper she originally thought he was just fat and that he wasn’t a handy guy? Sounds like a bitch.

I wouldn’t judge the man’s wife without knowing the entirety of her interview with the paper.

Besides, if you watch him in the video, he looks like a guy who could appear chubby based on what he wears (and the perception of whoever is judging), and neither of us can say for sure whether or not he is does much around the house (a comment that sounds more like married couple banter to me, to be honest).[/quote]

Apparently, she gets scared for him when she see videos of him squatting 700lbs+, which is understandable. She does come to the strongman shows. I wouldn’t look too much into it.

Awesome video.

[quote]anonym wrote:
Tumbles wrote:
Did anybody notice his wife wouldn’t watch him compete, and told the paper she originally thought he was just fat and that he wasn’t a handy guy? Sounds like a bitch.

Besides, if you watch him in the video, he looks like a guy who could appear chubby based on what he wears (and the perception of whoever is judging), and neither of us can say for sure whether or not he is does much around the house (a comment that sounds more like married couple banter to me, to be honest).[/quote]

Was just the impression I got based on the article and interview - didn’t mean to make it sound like I’d determined her personality without meeting her. That stuff could all be out of context etc; just struck me as a little strange.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Tumbles wrote:
Wow…

It actually surprises me that he would end up with someone who won’t watch him compete when it seems to be such a large part of his life. I wouldn’t call her a bitch because you don’t know her, but it does sound like she is only in love with part of him…and for me personally, that just wouldn’t do.[/quote]

She won’t watch him compete because she is afraid he is going to hurt himself.I have Aunts who didn’t watch one minute of any of their sons football games from Pop Warner through college for the same reason.

As a Ph.D. in chemical engineering, this statement really resonates with me. Granted, I’m NO where near as accomplished as this guy, but I understand his mentality. The iron doesn’t lie. You can lift it or you can’t and you can develop a plan to improve yourself.

“At 5 feet 8 inches tall, he has bench-pressed over 500 pounds and squat-lifted 700 pounds”

From the article…“squat lifted”? WTF? You know a nation knows nothing about powerlifting when…

[quote]Tumbles wrote:
Wow…

Doesn’t really surprise me. My wife hasn’t been to any of my powerlifting meets either, but has been to the strongman show I did. Powerlifting is pretty boring, a meet can easily run from 9 in the morning till 7 at night. Even when I’m handling training partners it can get pretty fucking old.

Now add in that you are not even interested in that kind of thing too, may have kids to keep entertained, etc. Do the math…

The fun part is if you are actually competing. Otherwise it’s boring as all hell.