Harvard - Any Crimsons Here?

Pepperdine University and Chico State! Got smart as shit at Pepperdine and forget everything I learned in a year-long blackout at Chico.

“He was wearing my Harvard tie. Can you believe it? My Harvard tie. Like oh, sure he went to Harvard.”

I dunno about ivy league schools, but at the swiss federal institute of technology zurich you have to work your ass off if you study anything nature sciences related and should expect no easy "A"s.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:
No.

Mommy and daddy were poor :([/quote]
Night class?[/quote]

I was being sarcastic, Binky. :slight_smile:

There’s a few reasons I didn’t go to college and money was probably in the top 4 on the list.[/quote]

Top 4 reasons that ImHUNGry didn’t go to college

1. didn’t want to waste time smoking pot and skipping class on his parents dime
  2. Was already getting all the pussy a Tiger could handle
  3. was already gainfully employed, and didn’t need any bullshit credential to tell people that he knows his shit
  4. why get into debt for no reason?

no, tigger…don’t thank me~
[/quote]
Lol!! Not quite like that…

1. School was a mind-fuck for most of my life and I just needed to get away from it.
  2. After I graduated, I did various construction and warehouse work, which I hated and loved with a passion.
  3. I had NO idea what I wanted to be when I grew up… NO direction whatsoever.
  4. Parents offered to pay for any schooling, even though money wasn’t saved for it. But, being upper middle class, they could swing it, somehow. (That’s what they said, anyway)

So, see 1,2,3 to understand the reasons I didn’t take them up on their offer.

Didn’t think i’d reply with a serious answer, huh?[/quote]

Hmm I sorta went through the same thing. If you don’t mind me asking what did you end up doing career wise?

If you really like student loan debt, or are rich and can’t think of a better way to blow a quarter million, then I highly recommend going to a prestigious private university. I have no idea how those fuckers trick people into attending them.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:
No.

Night class?[/quote]

There’s a few reasons I didn’t go to college and money was probably in the top 4 on the list.[/quote]

3. was already gainfully employed, and didn’t need any bullshit credential to tell people that he knows his shit

[/quote]

1. School was a mind-fuck for most of my life and I just needed to get away from it.
  2. After I graduated, I did various construction and warehouse work, which I hated and loved with a passion.
  4. Parents offered to pay for any schooling, even though money wasn’t saved for it. But, being upper middle class, they could swing it, somehow. (That’s what they said, anyway)

Hmm I sorta went through the same thing. If you don’t mind me asking what did you end up doing career wise?[/quote]

Circus, he hates the guy with the whip.

The University I attended was widely considered “The Harvard” of Saskatchewan.

Just saying, not to brag or anything.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
If you really like student loan debt, or are rich and can’t think of a better way to blow a quarter million, then I highly recommend going to a prestigious private university. I have no idea how those fuckers trick people into attending them.[/quote]

Network.

Your network will be infinitely better when you go to bigger name schools. (Unless you are a social retard, lol)

Most degrees though, you get the same education at a 5th of the price, or less, at a state school.

I went to a state school due to $, I come from poor parents and actually worked for everything I have. We had the same firms recruiting us, and we had the FBI at our school looking for candidates just like big name schools. I have a better job and make more than quite a few people that paid 5-7 times more for the same education.

Ultimately, for the vast majority, you are 100% correct, and it won’t matter. But being rich, coming from a rich family affords you more (not necessarily better) opportunity. Big name, big money schools work the same way.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
worked for everything I have. [/quote]

respect~

Went to a state school for free for undergrad (parents weren’t willing or able to help on college costs).

Now attending Yale in a professional school. Funding it by myself through student loans, for better or for worse. Honestly, if I could go back and make the decision over again, I wouldn’t do it again. Pretty depressing realization when you’re 100k+ in the hole for something you ended up not wanting all that badly.

Gotta say, though, that I’m very uncomfortable with the whole ivy league thing. I particularly hate Harvard v. Yale weekend, where the two schools’ undergrads wear clothing and such trash-talking one another. It’s like, “C’mon, guys, you’re a bunch of privileged white kids going to the best schools in the country off mommy and daddy’s dime. Just shutup.”

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
If you really like student loan debt, or are rich and can’t think of a better way to blow a quarter million, then I highly recommend going to a prestigious private university. I have no idea how those fuckers trick people into attending them.[/quote]

Well, this isn’t necessarily always the case. For one example, Ivy League professional school degrees typically lead to salaries in the 160k range starting out (granted, you’ll be working your balls off. Or, put another way, I plan on having to work my balls off).

For undergrads, at least before the economy went to hell in '07-'08, a lot of fresh grads would go work in ibanking or consulting and make their investment back pretty quickly.

If you want to know the real rip-offs, it’s the non-elite private colleges, which charge just as much as Harvard or Yale but don’t get your foot in the door for those jobs that make the debt make sense.

Something else that’s sort of neat about the prestigious universities is the network. It’s neat that I have met some really amazing/important people with whom I have the connection of having attended the same school.

Hate living in New Haven, though. Place is God-awful.

I’m at one of the “top” law schools, mostly because it opens the door to that first high paying job. Before I came here I was an undergrad/grad student at a local state U. The difference in quality of education and peers is absolutely staggering. I’ve learned a lot, both inside and outside the classroom, and I am thrilled to be here.

Pedigree is a lot more important for certain fields though, and if there wasn’t such a steep drop off in high paying opportunities after the top 15 or so schools I would have been much more likely to take scholarship money elsewhere.

I never really understood the whole why Harvard / Yale are so superior to other universities thing other than how the name has evolved within the community - i.e. more successful business people from Harvard, etc.

As an outsider who attended university in Australia, some places are better known for their engineering courses, others for the commerce or law, others for their medical, etc. Overall, the entrance requirements are vastly different but the courses are essentially exactly the same … but employers are for the most part indifferent to the university you attended, provided it isn’t known for a horrid course structure and has covered what they see as relevant to their needs.

For example; to get into Melbourne University I would have had to obtain an elite ranking grade against everyone in the state coming out of high school, while I only required a mid-range rank to get into the university that I attended. I did manage to obtain an elite ranking, but still chose the ‘lesser’ course for convenience as I am a local.

[quote]Teledin wrote:
I never really understood the whole why Harvard / Yale are so superior to other universities thing other than how the name has evolved within the community - i.e. more successful business people from Harvard, etc.

As an outsider who attended university in Australia, some places are better known for their engineering courses, others for the commerce or law, others for their medical, etc. Overall, the entrance requirements are vastly different but the courses are essentially exactly the same … but employers are for the most part indifferent to the university you attended, provided it isn’t known for a horrid course structure and has covered what they see as relevant to their needs.

For example; to get into Melbourne University I would have had to obtain an elite ranking grade against everyone in the state coming out of high school, while I only required a mid-range rank to get into the university that I attended. I did manage to obtain an elite ranking, but still chose the ‘lesser’ course for convenience as I am a local.[/quote]

As I understand it, you’re asking whether there’s a value add from the elite universities that are superior to that of other universities - your premise is that most unis around you teach the same stuff, and what really makes Melbourne better than the University of Western Bumblefuck is the quality of the students. I don’t know that anyone can really definitively answer this. There’ve been social scientists who’ve speculated on the same topic and I believe I’ve seen a paper which showed that students who were admitted to elite schools, e.g. Harvard, but chose to go elsewhere had an average income which was equivalent to that of their more pedigreed peers. There are probably some papers lampooning that idea, though.

From my own personal experience, it just makes you grow faster if you’re surrounded by and competing with people who are just as talented as you. Everyone’s different, but personally I recognize that many different aspects of my behavior are copied from/inspired by successful people around me. When there’s a deep pool of successful people around you, that gives you a lot of ideas to draw on. The conversations are also just straight up more interesting here. Then there’s the competition aspect, which is fairly straightforward - you grow more when you’re competing with more talented people.

Screw Harvard, stuck up kids with signs every five feet to remind everyone that they are Ivy League. Tufts Jumbo here, mechanical engineering. Anyone else from the Hill?

Harvard is a decent school, but it’s only the 3rd best school in the Boston area. Aim a bit higher.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:
No.

Night class?[/quote]

[/quote]

Hmm I sorta went through the same thing. If you don’t mind me asking what did you end up doing career wise?[/quote]

I ended up getting hired at a leading cable company (handling billing issues) before they required a degree or experience and worked for them for about 13 years, until our department (along with some others) was bought by their biggest vendor almost 2 years ago. I still do the same job (supervisor) but they outsourced to India and cut my staff 50%.

Now, i’m busting my ass to make sure I don’t get added to the 50%.

So, what’s your story, Soulja?

[quote]fraggle wrote:
The University I attended was widely considered “The Harvard” of Saskatchewan.

Just saying, not to brag or anything.[/quote]
There is no such thing.

went there for a couple years, dropped out and started a little thing called facebook.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
“He was wearing my Harvard tie. Can you believe it? My Harvard tie. Like oh, sure he went to Harvard.”[/quote]

Lol, that film is still funny