T Nation

Harry Pottah Pause Squattah

I suck at updating this - a couple of sessions are recorded in the BOI, but not here.

14/09/12
Press day (<3)

  1. OHP
    80kgx3 (wanted four)
    http://youtu.be/I3jC1wqHeIE
    (70kgx3)x2
    60kgx6

  2. BB shrugs (double overhand, no straps)
    (140kgx3)x3
    (160kgx3)x4

  3. Complex of Death
    10 rounds. Asthma ridden lungs just about held up. University rowing team kept staring at me in between demonstrating their weakness on every major exercise.

  4. Assistance bollocks - waiting for friend to finish his session/coaching and spotting him
    Pec deck 10,10,8
    Overhead plate front raise 2x20
    Face pulls 3x20
    DB laterals 3x15

Fuck, assistance is boring.

Wanted the 80kgx4 very badly, but today wasn’t the day. Still, got in some solid pressing and shrugs, and did some quality conditioning work too. Notbad.jpg

Deadlift/Legs

My pre-workout meal was a bowl of Lucky Charms - I am now convinced they are the most anabolic food known to man.

I’m now logging weights in pounds.

W/U
a) Lax ball rolling
b) Box jumps x 15 - felt amped after these!

Training

  1. Deadlift
    Meant to get some triples with 308, but it felt like air, so I went for a PR.
    407x1 --> 11 pound PR!
    Felt amazing after this. It came up so easily and I held it at the top. Justice, the Finnish industrial metal helped fuel my PR fire.

  2. Front skwats
    (176x3)x4
    Quad pumpz.

  3. RDLs
    2x10

  4. Complex Of Death
    40kgx10 rounds

  5. BB rows
    3x10

Felt very strong today. Smashed a chinese buffet later in the day. Life is good.

Currently, I am working on improving my conditioning and athleticism by incorporating jumps and complexes of olympic lifts into my training. I am also endeavouring to eat a little less. Weighing in at 235 pounds.

I forget to update dis log far too much.

27/09/12
Heavy back and traps

W/U
Shoulder traction
Band rows
BTNPs

Training

  1. Pendlay rows
    -Straps on
    220x4
    (220x3)x5
    -Straps off
    176x10

  2. Shrugs
    -Straps on
    308x5
    (398x5)x4
    -Straps off
    220x30

  3. Band good mornings (23-54kg band)
    3x15

This was fucking awesome. Straps allowed me to push myself further than ever before. Good mornings are definitely helping my lower back grow stronger.

I have a feeling I will deadlift 200kg/440lbs in the next two months.

[quote]Consul wrote:
I forget to update dis log far too much.

I have a feeling I will deadlift 200kg/440lbs in the next two months.[/quote]
Yes and yes. I’ll be going for one around the beginning of November so better hurry up.

[quote]samoth2 wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:
I forget to update dis log far too much.

I have a feeling I will deadlift 200kg/440lbs in the next two months.[/quote]
Yes and yes. I’ll be going for one around the beginning of November so better hurry up.[/quote]

Thought you had 200kg already?

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]samoth2 wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:
I forget to update dis log far too much.

I have a feeling I will deadlift 200kg/440lbs in the next two months.[/quote]
Yes and yes. I’ll be going for one around the beginning of November so better hurry up.[/quote]

Thought you had 200kg already?
[/quote]

Nah. I’ve never been above 195kg. I was gonna go for one but then I switched back to Sheiko so no heavy weights until the “skill evaluation”.

[quote]samoth2 wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]samoth2 wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:
I forget to update dis log far too much.

I have a feeling I will deadlift 200kg/440lbs in the next two months.[/quote]
Yes and yes. I’ll be going for one around the beginning of November so better hurry up.[/quote]

Thought you had 200kg already?
[/quote]

Nah. I’ve never been above 195kg. I was gonna go for one but then I switched back to Sheiko so no heavy weights until the “skill evaluation”.
[/quote]

You’re beating me by 10kg lol

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]samoth2 wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]samoth2 wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:
I forget to update dis log far too much.

I have a feeling I will deadlift 200kg/440lbs in the next two months.[/quote]
Yes and yes. I’ll be going for one around the beginning of November so better hurry up.[/quote]

Thought you had 200kg already?
[/quote]

Nah. I’ve never been above 195kg. I was gonna go for one but then I switched back to Sheiko so no heavy weights until the “skill evaluation”.
[/quote]

You’re beating me by 10kg lol
[/quote]
Roidz

[quote]samoth2 wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]samoth2 wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]samoth2 wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:
I forget to update dis log far too much.

I have a feeling I will deadlift 200kg/440lbs in the next two months.[/quote]
Yes and yes. I’ll be going for one around the beginning of November so better hurry up.[/quote]

Thought you had 200kg already?
[/quote]

Nah. I’ve never been above 195kg. I was gonna go for one but then I switched back to Sheiko so no heavy weights until the “skill evaluation”.
[/quote]

You’re beating me by 10kg lol
[/quote]
Roidz[/quote]

LOL kg solidarity

Played American Football for three hours tonight. Hoping to lift tomorrow before more practice in the evening. Inb4 DYEL, Potter?

03/10/12
Upper back

  1. Ghetto tbars
    (209x6)x2
    (176x10)x2

  2. Pullups
    3xAMAP

  3. BB rows
    (176x8)x3

  4. Face pulls supersetted with straight arm pulldowns x3

Later in the day…

1.5 hours of football conditioning - died a little inside.

04/10/12

Paused front squattahs
176x1
198x3 --> PR
(198x2)x2
(176x3)x2

These are very hard on the abs, upper back and quads, I find. Certainly a quality strength exercise. I find front squats easier to recover from, and they carry over well to my back squat, so I think I will be doing mostly front squats over the next few weeks.

Pleased with this session. My soreness from conditioning wasn’t an issue, as I warmed up well and did some quality soft tissue work and stretching before I went to the gym.

In 4 all the gainz.

And I’m confused… is American Football what you Brits call Quidditch?

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
In 4 all the gainz.

And I’m confused… is American Football what you Brits call Quidditch? [/quote]

Yes

I suck at updating anything other than the BOI lol.

11/11/12
DEADLIFT

Stretched, rolled, peppered angus.

  1. Conv. deadlift, no straps
    Warmed up to 308 with double overhand, then put on a belt and switched to mixed grip for my top set…
    375x6 --> Rep PR
    I was very happy with this, especially as I was pretty sleep deprived today (Halo 4 is THAT good lol). This puts my projected 1RM at about 30 pounds heavier than my last tested max.

  2. Pendlays
    (176x7)x2

Back was ruined - called it a day. I’ve noticed that my “stamina” goes down when I haven’t slept much, but my peak performance is not necessarily affected.

VERY happy with the way my deadlift is moving. Higher reps seem to do the trick for me.

Random stuff
-Fish oil seems to be helping my asthma.
-I am doing a sloppy version of carb cycling, which is working really well. I am losing fat whilst gaining weight and strength.
-Getting my nutrition in check has made a big difference to the way I feel and perform, but I don’t regret dirty bulking to fatness, as it built my base.
-I used to train 5-7 days a week; now I am training about 4 days a week and making better progress than I’ve made in a few months.
-Working up to one top set on my main lifts has always been brilliant for me. I don’t know why I ever stopped doing it.
-My assistance is much more bodybuilding oriented these days, which has the obvious sessi benefits, but also seems to be ironing out my notable weak points (chest, biceps etc) and improving my Big 4.

13/11/12
PRESS/UPPER BACK

  1. OHP
    Ramped to
    176x4 --> Rep PR
    132x8
    Flagrantly stealing hungry4more’s training principles.

  2. Neutral grip lat pulldowns (big stretch adda top)
    4x10

  3. Deadstop Smith machine rows
    5 working sets - most brutal lat exercise I’ve ever done. Brb buying new shirts in anticipation of gainz.

  4. DB shrugs
    3xAMAP

  5. DB laterals
    2 sets

The laterals were so boring, I just went home.

16/11/12
BENCH

  1. Bench press
    220x8 - equal to PR. Wanted ten reps, but lifting earlier in the day meant I felt weaker.

  2. DB incline
    3x8

  3. Pec deck
    4x10

  4. Tricep pushdowns
    3x12

  5. Preacher curl
    3x8

  6. OH extension
    4x10

  7. Cable hammer curl
    3x10

Good session. Nothing exceptional, but solid work.


18/11/12
DEADLIFT

  1. Conventional deadlift
    397x3 --> 2 rep PR
    Very happy with this. Easier than expected too. Just used a belt and chalk.

  2. Pendlay rows
    (198x3)x6
    Increased the weight by ~20 pounds this week. Rows felt good.

  3. Neutral chins
    (BWx5)x2

  4. Neutral pulldowns
    3x8

  5. Leg curl
    One long drop set with no rest.

Couldn’t be happier with my deadlift progress and back development right now.

Weighed in at 234 pounds today, post-workout.

Judging by your workouts lately, I bet you’ve got a 200kg deadlift in the bag. Gonna try anytime soon?