Harry Brown

Awesome movie…watch it.

It was billed as a “British Gran Torino”, but I don’t think that description does it justice.

Alfred gets to play the role of Batman in this one.

Yeah it’s a great film. Relatively realistic as well.

Get Carter>>>>>Harry Brown

Different types of films mate. Harry Brown is decent though.

[quote]krebcycle wrote:
Different types of films mate. Harry Brown is decent though.[/quote]

Same lead actor.

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]krebcycle wrote:

Same lead actor.[/quote]

So? They are still different types of films.

Haven’t seen the original Get Carter, but am downloading it right now.

Michael Caine is awesome. The role of “kindly old badass” is not an easy one to play…

[quote]krebcycle wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]krebcycle wrote:

Same lead actor.[/quote]

So? They are still different types of films.[/quote]

The vengeance storylines are comparable to say the least.

Didn’t really rate it tbh. Some gritty scenes but it left me feeling indifferent. Dead Mans Shoes does it so much better.

Pimpbot - The original Get Carter is an all time classic. Caine owns it.

Yeah, I’ve been wanting to see this since I saw the preview in March. Thanks for the info.

‘you have forgotten to maintain your weapon sonny’

Watched the original Get Carter. Good movie, but quite different from Harry Brown.

To you Brits, is Harry Brown a reasonably accurate portrayal of how bad youth crime is in certain areas?

Because that was shocking. Even the worst parts of Toronto or Vancouver get nowhere near as bad as “the estate” in that movie…

I actually found myself agreeing with Harry’s approach. After a certain point, no amount of “sit downs” or intervention with punks like that will make a difference. Vigilante extermination seems like a good bet…either that or RoboCop.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
To you Brits, is Harry Brown a reasonably accurate portrayal of how bad youth crime is in certain areas?

Because that was shocking. Even the worst parts of Toronto or Vancouver get nowhere near as bad as “the estate” in that movie…

I actually found myself agreeing with Harry’s approach. After a certain point, no amount of “sit downs” or intervention with punks like that will make a difference. Vigilante extermination seems like a good bet…either that or RoboCop.[/quote]

Obviously some parts are exaggerated for dramatic effect (particularly the riot at the end), but by and large it is representational of a large amount of Britain today. Youth crime is a massive and growing problem over here, and gang culture has really taken hold of some of the less to do areas. Coming from London, and having worked in an inner city school I can say that the characters are pretty realistic, though I have seen worse in real life whether through my work or people I grew up with.

Haven’t seen the original Get Carter, but am downloading it right now.

Michael Caine is awesome. The role of “kindly old badass” is not an easy one to play…[/quote]

Caine is brilliant in everything he does. The choice of him for Alfred in Batman was masterful.

I missed seeing Harry Brown in the movies, looks like I need to rent the DVD.

Totally unrelated but he was in Goldmember last night on HBO locally and still cracks me up no matter how many times I’ve seen that flick.

I actually found myself agreeing with Harry’s approach. After a certain point, no amount of “sit downs” or intervention with punks like that will make a difference. Vigilante extermination seems like a good bet…either that or RoboCop.[/quote]

Considering its a film (dramatic licence etc) its not that far away from the way it is in areas in Ireland and france too. Where I used to live in Dublin a fun evening for the kids was to set fire to a car, call the fire service and when they come block them in and shower them with bricks n rocks. Obviously I wasnt living in a particularly nice area!!
To those of you in the US that have seen it how does it compare to poorer areas over there?

This movie sounds great, just put it on #1 in my Netflix queue. I should have it tomorrow, can’t wait to see it.

x2 on Michael Caine, fantastic actor.