T Nation

Harefield Recovery Protocol

Clen helps relieve Cardiogenic Shock!!

Can anyone (such as Bushy) go into some detail about how Clen really initiates cardiomegaly?
I think mechanism is poorly studied if at all.

Studies are all over the place with none definitively indicating instances of heart enlargement either through the infiltration of collagen fibres into the heart walls and thus resulting stiffening or otherwise.

And heres one that says Clen might actually be beneficial to some in end stage heart failure!!

============

http://www.escardio.org/congresses/esc_congress/esc2007/news/left-ventricular-assist-devices.htm

In the past decade Yacoub has developed the Harefield Recovery Protocol, a unique strategy combining mechanical and pharmacological therapy, which he claims makes heart recovery more predictable following implantation of the LVAD. There are two distinct pharmacological phases.

The first involves the use of the drugs lisinopril, carvedilol, spironolactone, and losartan to enhance reverse remodelling.

Then, once regression of left ventricular enlargement has been achieved, patients are administered clenbuterol, a β2-adrenergic-receptor agonist (abused by athletes to make muscles bigger) to produce cardiac muscle hypertrophy.

�??During prolonged mechanical unloading there have been suggestions that disuse atrophy occurs, in much the same way as if you rest a limb, muscles can waste away. The idea of clenbuterol is to prevent this from happening,�?? explains Yacoub.

In the Harefield study, 15 patients with severe heart failure due to non-ischaemic cardiomyopathy and no histologic evidence of active myocarditis underwent implantation, followed by the specific drug regimen. Eleven of 15 patients (73%) demonstrated sufficient cardiac recovery to have the device removed successfully (explantation) at a mean of 320 ±186 days after implantation.

The cumulative rate for avoiding recurrent HF one and four years after the device was removed was 100% and 88.9% respectively for surviving patients.

Heres one study that says to the contrary:

Effect of clenbuterol on cardiac and skeletal muscle function during left ventricular assist device support.

Cardiac function did not improve in this cohort of LVAD patients treated with high-dose clenbuterol. However, clenbuterol therapy increased skeletal muscle mass and strength and prevented the expected decrease in myocyte size during LVAD support. Further study will clarify its potential for cardiac and skeletal muscle recovery.

http://lib.bioinfo.pl/auth:Maybaum,S

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

But Bushy, have you ever seen a person in the flesh that told you "Gee, my doc tells me from the ECG that my heart is showing symptoms of stiffening and marked enlargement due to my use of clenbuterol for the past six weeks" ?

I want to get to the bottom of this. When there are clear instances of even fatalities with the use of drugs such as 2,4 DNP why is there such scant evidence when it comes to other drugs like Clen and their respective sideeffects and contraindications.

Thanks a ton for clarifying.