Hardgainers Don't Exist

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
Professor X wrote:

In fact, if you have only been training for two years or less, labeling yourself much of anything makes no sense at all.

I disagree with that. If you obviously gain weight more easily than otheres, that should be pretty apparent.

If you “gain weight more easily than others”, you have more drive than others. You are more determined than others. You are more motivated than others.

Diet and training isn’t the end all.[/quote]

Hold on a second though. Of course some people do gain more easily than others no doubt, but there is NOBODY who doesn’t have a medical abnormality of some kind who cannot make dramatic and radical changes to their physique.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Fulmen wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
Professor X wrote:

In fact, if you have only been training for two years or less, labeling yourself much of anything makes no sense at all.

I disagree with that. If you obviously gain weight more easily than otheres, that should be pretty apparent.

If you “gain weight more easily than others”, you have more drive than others. You are more determined than others. You are more motivated than others.

Diet and training isn’t the end all.

You’re right, diet and training ISN’t the end all. Genetics DO play a roll. This discussion is over if you disagree.
[/quote]

They do play a role, but what I said was meant to be viewed as what X said:
Everyone, no matter how they good they are at something, has someone out there who is better than them at it.

i say bullshit…

[quote]Fulmen wrote:

Everyone, no matter how they good they are at something, has someone out there who is better than them at it.
[/quote]

I don’t see how what you said and what X said are related at all.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
This is really starting to tick me off. All I practically see in this forum nowadays is the word “Hardgainer”(and anti-big statements). I have no reason to believe that “hardgainers” even exist, and if there is some type of empirical evidence, please present it to me.

Take for example the latest article concerning hardgainers. Look at the summary-" He thinks that true hardgainers exist and, more importantly, can be cured." Thinks. Key word there. Also two of the four sources cited was Chad Waterbury and Poliquin. CW in a bodybuilding article. Give me a fuckin’ break.

You think you’re a hardgainer? I think you suffer from these problems:

A) Not eating enough.
B) Not eating correctly.
C) Fucking off in the gym.
D) Doing the wrong exercises.
E) Not being consistent.
F) Not getting enough rest.
G) Not making lifting a top priority.
H) Worrying too much about tempo and BS.
I) Not using enough weight.
J) Using too much weight.

I could go on if I had to. Hardgainers don’t exist. Deal with it.[/quote]

That damn hardgainer word should never been have invented. We shouldn’t be acknowledging “hardgainers” as if these people have some sort of genetic handicap.

As much as I find some of the articles on this site interesting, I think 90% of the problem with people who post here complaing about their lack of gains lies with these articles acknowledging them as “hardgainers” and coming up with all these “superior” methods of training and dieting that is not intended for average trainee. Just because you havent been making gains doesnt mean that you cant and it also doesnt mean you need to be pigeonholed into some make believe category.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

Hold on a second though. Of course some people do gain more easily than others no doubt, but there is NOBODY who doesn’t have a medical abnormality of some kind who cannot make dramatic and radical changes to their physique.[/quote]

I agree with this as well. Earlier when I said that hardgainers exist, I was not discluding medical conditions.

I do still think people can label themselves, though.

I used to think a friend of mine was “genetically gifted” for getting “huge”, since he was gaining pretty steadily each month. When I compared our food intake, he was getting about 1500 more calories a day and consuming 100g more protein. I followed suit and guess what… “hardgainer” no more!

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Fulmen wrote:

I don’t see how what you said and what X said are related at all.[/quote]

People see that someone has made better or quicker gains than them and they automatically label themselves as hardgainers when they need to be directing that energy toward their motivation and the related.

Basically I’m saying the term is a cop-out.

I so true hardgainers are about as common as the Arnold Elite genetics “easy” gainers.

Its just a fucking bell curve.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
Fulmen wrote:

I don’t see how what you said and what X said are related at all.

People see that someone has made better or quicker gains than them and they automatically label themselves as hardgainers when they need to be directing that energy toward their motivation and the related.

Basically I’m saying the term is a cop-out.[/quote]

I don’t disagree with that at all. But saying the sole reason one person is growing more than another is because of effort in the gym, in the kitchen, etc. is completely wrong.

BTW, I’m sorry you guys have to see so much Danny Tanner in this thread…

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
I so true hardgainers are about as common as the Arnold Elite genetics “easy” gainers.

Its just a fucking bell curve.[/quote]

Would hardgainer be 2 standard deviations from the mean?

This will probably offend a lot of people, but this reminds me of how fat people justify being fat…its their metabolism. Meanwhile if you track their calories they gain as much weight as you would expect.

At the end of the day most hardgainers over estimate their calories they way fat people under estimate theirs.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I don’t disagree with that at all. But saying the sole reason one person is growing more than another is because of effort in the gym, in the kitchen, etc. is completely wrong.[/quote].

Generally speaking, it is. But if you want to get technical, genetics do play a role. However, should that mean I should call myself a “hardgainer” because I gained only 10lbs a month whereas my buddy gained 20?

It is also funny how many people claim they need to actively avoid getting “too big”…but these same people all think they have some abnormal inhibition of muscle growth.

That makes no sense at all.

That damn hardgainer word should never been have invented. We shouldn’t be acknowledging “hardgainers” as if these people have some sort of genetic handicap.

As much as I find some of the articles on this site interesting, I think 90% of the problem with people who post here complaing about their lack of gains lies with these articles acknowledging them as “hardgainers” and coming up with all these “superior” methods of training and dieting that is not intended for average trainee. No gains does not automatically equal hardgainer. Just because you havent been making gains doesnt mean that you cant and it also doesnt mean you need to be pigeonholed into some make-believe category.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:

A) Not eating enough.
B) Not eating correctly.
E) Not being consistent.

I could go on if I had to. Hardgainers don’t exist. Deal with it.[/quote]

So the solution is… Squats and milk?

[quote]Otep wrote:
Fulmen wrote:

A) Not eating enough.
B) Not eating correctly.
E) Not being consistent.

I could go on if I had to. Hardgainers don’t exist. Deal with it.

So the solution is… Squats and milk?[/quote]

Pretty much…oh, and I guess we have tell people that sweating is a good thing.

A friend of mine last year wanted to tag along with me at the gym, so i brought him there, showed him a few basic compound movements (chins, dumbbell press, military press, barbell rows, and squats) and just basically told him not to get slack on his eating, and to perfect these movements.

A few months of chest workouts later, and he’s saying “man i think im a hardgainer…”. He did not listen to what i told him, he just continued to get fucked up on hard drugs living off of toast with cheese whiz. I don’t know how simple logic can allow anyone to be so god damn stupid this day in age.

This, my friends, is your typical ‘hardgainer’. Useless fucks that can’t follow simple procedure who will never equate to anything in life. That’s just my take on it.

PC

I think the term “hardgainer” is actually misunderstood. Someone who doesn’t eat enough isn’t a hardgainer. Someone who eats more than enough and doesn’t gain muscle is a hard gainer. So a prerequisite for calling yourself a hardgainer should be to be fat. Because if you eat enough, you either have to get fat or build muscle. So only fat people are allowed to call themselves hardgainers. That’s my new rule.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
I don’t disagree with that at all. But saying the sole reason one person is growing more than another is because of effort in the gym, in the kitchen, etc. is completely wrong…

Generally speaking, it is. But if you want to get technical, genetics do play a role. However, should that mean I should call myself a “hardgainer” because I gained only 10lbs a month whereas my buddy gained 20?[/quote]

Nah 10 lbs a month is certainly not hardgainer status… lol.

You’re getting me wrong, I’m in no way sticking up for hardgainers. Anyone who says they can’t get bigger because they are a hardgainer (barring any medical conditions) is fucking retarded, and that is all there is to it. I’m saying some people (inevitably it’s going to be like this) have a harder time than others. Even when effort is equal. Terms like “ecto” “meso” “endo” etc. are just labels, used as generalization to describe your body type. Any use of these labels to justify your lack of progress is plain cowardly.

If we’re not on the same page, maybe I need to take a course in written communications or something.