T Nation

Hardgainer or Not?

hey guys, iv'e been hitting the gym for around a year and a half now and am looking for advice on training and nutrition. I am 6' 2 and my starting weight was around 64kgs and after a year and a halfs time have touched 78kgs.

During the first 8 months i was going to the gym almost everyday for about 2hrs doing easily +15 sets a muscle group, just doing alot of arm exercises and basically upper-body work, although i avoided chest, a stupid mistake. Clearly i was a complete noob and thought growing was alot more simple. During this time i was working really odd hours and as a result had a pretty poor diet. At most eating 3 meals a day with maybe 60g protein powder per day. I was tracking my weight and i hit the 70-71kg mark.

Around the year mark i added a mass-gainer for 2 months and kept the same diet, then my weight went from 71 to 78-79kgs. I however noticed that i started getting a gut so ended the massgainer but however started eating regular meals, 4 or 5 a day. After doing so i dropped 3kgs and have been on that weight ever since.

My current diet consists of 5 meals that all up contain; 220g of protein, 380g of carbs, 80g fat and 2700 cal. With these stats i have not dropped or gained weight in over 5 months. I will be adding the massgainer back in to add another 1200 cal, 50 protein and 350 carbs.

Now with this information can anyone tell me weather or not i would be classed as a "hardgainer"? Or have any advice in what my workout should look like? The reason i am confused is because i match the description of one but then as you can see in my first year of going to the gym i was working out in a mannor not fit for a hardgainer and eating like an absolute idiot but yet i gained...

Also i would like to add in that i'm not considering using gear, i have nothing against it but i'm in Australia :slight_smile:

no you are not a hardgainer...

Read around here. You need to eat more and train differently.

Do full back high bar squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, dips, rows, pull ups.

Try stronglifts 5x5 as its written and add in dips and pull ups.

Eat MORE. 2700 is nothing. I'm slightly shorter than you and would lose weight with 2700 pretty quickly. You need to eat at least 3500 cals, maybe more like 4000-4500 if you plan to keep training 2 hours a day with 15 sets(which is far from optimal).

You don't need gear or a mass gainer or protein powder. You need to learn about nutrition and eat clean foods and a lot more food in general.

You're not a hardgainer.
If a month goes by and you haven't gained weight, eat more.
If you decide to eat more, DON'T INCREASE YOUR INTAKE BY CLOSE TO 50% OVERNIGHT! You'll gain weight, but 350 grams of carbs at once seems like a good way to gain the wrong kind of weight.

Use common sense. Increase your intake gradually. See what a week of 3000 calories does for you. You could probably get away with more, so you could try increasing it by a few hundred more cals, and so on. The solution isn't one giant shake, it's eating more overall.

And your numbers are all wrong. Carbs and protein are about 4 calories per gram, fat is 9. 4*380+4*220+9*80=3120
And that shake is 1600 calories.

Or did you mean to write 280 grams of carbs, and then 250 in the shake?

'hard gainers' and 'fast metabolizers' are names conjured up by people who don't eat enough...

You "match the description" of a hardgainer?

What is the description of a hardgainer?

Please define that word for me, OP.

my daily meal plan is as follows;

meal 1; 100g of oats with honey
massgainer, 14g protein, 80g carbs and 320cal
meal 2; 4 egggs, 2 cups of milk and massgainer (14g protein, 80g carbs and 320cal)

meal 3; chicken breast, broc and avo
massgainer as above

meal 4; 2 peanut butter sandwiches
apple and orange

meal 5; steak

total; P=220-250g Carbs=700 Cal= 4000 Fat-100g
The reason i use the massgainer is to get the extra cal intake. Also i know this is all common sense for you all, this is the reason i signed up so i can get some advice from experienced people.

You've gone from ridiculously underweight to just very underweight. Progress is progress. :wink:

Nutrition is obviously the priority, but what's your current training plan?

What are your best lifts in the squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, pulldown/pull-up, and row?

I think the "massgainer" is what's screwing you up. Not that you don't need plenty of calories, but I think your whole food meals can be tweaked to be even better. For example, if your numbers are right, you're on a pretty low fat diet. That's a problem.

Also, your occupation is listed as "dock hand." I'm presuming that involves a lot of manual labor? If so, we definitely need to account for that activity and eat accordingly.

Try basing four good meals a day around the foods in this article:

Like Kakno said, these numbers just don't mathematically add up. What brand name is this gainer?

More food, that is all. 2700 kcal a day ain't shit. Simple as that. But simple does NOT = easy. Eating more food is the simplest way to get stronger and bigger, but don't expect it to always be fun.

Hey chris thanks for the post! I'll be increasing the fat for sure. I'll also be dropping the gainer to. Just eat x3 nuts, fish oil and add some cream to :). I'll also be looking into the upper and lower body split program, hope I can find one that helps

I used to be a 'hardgainer'. Until i ate a few large animals and worked my ass off in the gym.