T Nation

Hardgainer 1 Year Progress


#1


1 year transformation

165lbs 5% body fat (estimate)
-185lbs 15% body fat
instagram username:bulkmeup

25 years old 6' 0" 1 year transformation. 5 day routine mostly low rep, heavy weight. Hoping to get to 200 lbs 7-10% body fat


#2

Also…I’m not really sure where to go from here…Ive been stuck at 185 for a while


#3

Dude, if you went from 165 at 5% to 185 at 15%, you gained about a half pound of muscle, and the rest was fat. My guess is your first estimate of fat is way off. Anyway, seems like you made decent, but slow progress. What is your workout routine and diet?


#4

You’re clearly not a hardgainer. You put on 20 lbs in a year.

If you’re stuck at a bodyweight, you need to eat more than you’re currently eating. This will always be true no matter how big you get.

If you want advice as to what you should change in your diet, you should share how you currently eat.


#5

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
Dude, if you went from 165 at 5% to 185 at 15%, you gained about a half pound of muscle, and the rest was fat. My guess is your first estimate of fat is way off. Anyway, seems like you made decent, but slow progress. What is your workout routine and diet?[/quote]

Quite true on that observation. I was thinking that seemed a little off.

OP, why not try mixing you routine up some? From the original post, I one can assume that you have been on the high weight low rep style of training for a while. Try different rep ranges and different exercises. It keeps things fresh. German Volume Training is one that I have used to break up the monotony.

FLipCollar stated that you should post your diet as well as to better determine the lack of weight gain. I think that would be good advice. More than likely, you are overestimating how much you are eating.

I hope that this helps.

All the best,

Rob


#6

As someone who struggles to put on mass, it took me about two years of solid lifting and eating to get from 77kg to 81kg. The hardest thing for me was, and still is, eating enough. Personally, I found that ‘gainer’ drinks didn’t do nearly as much for me as whole foods, and it was a lot easier on my wallet. If I was to suggest anything, I would suggest treating meals like workouts, but thats only because it’s been working for me. Protein will make you feel fuller faster, so eat your carbs and fats first in the sitting is something that’s been helping me get more food in.

If you’re anything like me, long bouts of ‘cardio’ will make you drop weight like its nobody’s business, so I found the best conditioning for myself was barbell complexes, weighted carries and sled pushes, or slow paced uphill walks.

Like handsome rob said, you might be overestimating how much you eat. I’ve been setting myself a ‘minimum’ ammount of calories per day and If I can eat over it, that’s great, but I make myself reach 4000 cals of food/milk etc before I add in supplements.
Hope any of this helps


#7

you’re right! I was so damned skinny it felt like 5%


#8

[quote]Handsome Rob 84 wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
Dude, if you went from 165 at 5% to 185 at 15%, you gained about a half pound of muscle, and the rest was fat. My guess is your first estimate of fat is way off. Anyway, seems like you made decent, but slow progress. What is your workout routine and diet?[/quote]

Quite true on that observation. I was thinking that seemed a little off.

OP, why not try mixing you routine up some? From the original post, I one can assume that you have been on the high weight low rep style of training for a while. Try different rep ranges and different exercises. It keeps things fresh. German Volume Training is one that I have used to break up the monotony.

FLipCollar stated that you should post your diet as well as to better determine the lack of weight gain. I think that would be good advice. More than likely, you are overestimating how much you are eating.

I hope that this helps.

All the best,

Rob[/quote]
Ive worked myself up to 3800-4000 calories a day now. I did the math and my carbs are about 40% of my diet, protein about 60% of my diet. I added up the fat and I’m embarassed to say I was eating almost 275-300 grams of fat a day. That dang New Orleans food!I only have myself to blame! I cut out the bacon, read beans, sausage, fried catfish, crawfish, boudin and beignets. a few months ago I picked up a higher rep program not quite gvt but definitely different from the 5x5 I was doing. 3x15-20 5 days a week legs twice a week. I’ve gained almost 5 pounds on this. Hardest thing is losing 2-3 pounds or looking “flat” in the mirror come morning, very discouraging! I wannna look like someone who lifts ya know? appreciate yall’s time and advice.


#9

[quote]newishguy89 wrote:

Ive worked myself up to 3800-4000 calories a day now. I did the math and my carbs are about 40% of my diet, protein about 60% of my diet. I added up the fat and I’m embarassed to say I was eating almost 275-300 grams of fat a day. That dang New Orleans food!I only have myself to blame! I cut out the bacon, read beans, sausage, fried catfish, crawfish, boudin and beignets. a few months ago I picked up a higher rep program not quite gvt but definitely different from the 5x5 I was doing. 3x15-20 5 days a week legs twice a week. I’ve gained almost 5 pounds on this. Hardest thing is losing 2-3 pounds or looking “flat” in the mirror come morning, very discouraging! I wannna look like someone who lifts ya know? appreciate yall’s time and advice.[/quote]
Apparently math and numbers is not your strong suit. 40% + 60% + 300g of fat?