Hardest Thing To Do in Sports

GTFO! Cricket is gayer than aids

[quote]gregron wrote:
GTFO! Cricket is gayer than aids[/quote]

Haha. Fair enough.

Ever played it?

Greatest game ever invented.

Hockey is the only sport where it takes a certain amount of skill just to be good enough to be considered awful. Anyone who has tried to learn to ice skate can attest to this. Being great at any aspect of hockey could be considered most difficult.

I have to agree with earlier posters that difficulty lies in rarity,another component to consider is the physical aptitude required for the feat. As any fan of AL baseball can tell you, the last thing to go on a player is his ability to hit for power, it seems once players have mastered that ‘trick’ it takes many years for it to leave them.

For my money or lack thereof the hardest thing to do in any sport is set a world record in a field event. Specifically Javelin or Pole Vault as they are the most complex events at the top level and have each had only one individual that was able to dominate at the top level for any length of time. Bubka and Zelezny both have world records that are 5% better than the rest of the world, were multiple world and olympic champions and regarded as far and away the best for their events.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

Haha. Fair enough.

Ever played it?

Greatest game ever invented.[/quote]

i have played it but i got bored after 30 minutes of the same guy not ever hitting the stupid ball. then they told me that matches go on for a week straight and right then and there i decided it was the stupidest game of all time.

My brother-in-law is playing in the Cricket World Cup and I can barely watch it without falling asleep. THAT’S how boring cricket is.

[quote]mjmasone wrote:
Hockey is the only sport where it takes a certain amount of skill just to be good enough to be considered awful. Anyone who has tried to learn to ice skate can attest to this. Being great at any aspect of hockey could be considered most difficult.
[/quote]

Hockey is probably the sport where it is the easiest to dominate casual player when you have played some time.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Some of you are equating RISK with the task being “the hardest thing in sports.” That’s not fair.

What Tony G said and how he framed it is correct:

You can miss a hit 7/10 times and still be considered GREAT.

However, if talking about a GAME stat–and since I love bball above all else–I’d say that getting a quadruple-double in a game is the hardest thing in sports. There is almost NO way your team could lose if you had that stat–barring strawman arguments like your team being down a guard or something–and it means that you were literally all over the fucking court, playing probably two positions.

For those who don’t know what that means, a quadruple-double is 4 different stats where you got double digits:

e.g.

10 pts
10 rebounds
10 assists
10 stls

Of course, some stats are more likely to be a part of this aggregate (e.g. points). If we’re talking the most unlikely combination of stats for the quadruple-double, that’s even more improbable.

I don’t think it’s ever been done in pro ball. I’m almost positive. Side note: Oscar Robertson averaged a triple-double for an entire season. That is unreal.[/quote]

It’s been done 4 times, twice in the modern age. Olajuwon did it once, and came one assisst shy of doing it 2 more times. That’s fucking insane. If anyone in todays game has the ability, it’s Josh Smith of the Hawks. Also, hitting a baseball is nowhere near the hardest thing to do in sports. I played one year [5th grade] as a kid, broke my hand my first at bat and didn’t touch a bat again for probably another 12 or 13 years. Went to a faciity run by an ex-pro that had machines that went up to 102 mph and the ball would go wherever you programmed it to. I connected on over 5 out of 20 at 100mph. Granted, I knew where it was going and there wasn’t 1,000’s of people shouting at me, but I did it without having touched a bat in over a decade. With practice I’m sure I’d get better.

Just googled “Hakkem Olajuwon quadruple double” and Olajuwon has actually done it TWICE, but after reviewing game tape the NBA decided one of his assists didn’t count, so they took it away from him in terms of his recording the quad-dub but let it stand on his career total? That seems pretty shady. Here’s to the Dream, the greatest center of all time and a one man fantasy team.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Just googled “Hakkem Olajuwon quadruple double” and Olajuwon has actually done it TWICE, but after reviewing game tape the NBA decided one of his assists didn’t count, so they took it away from him in terms of his recording the quad-dub but let it stand on his career total? That seems pretty shady. Here’s to the Dream, the greatest center of all time and a one man fantasy team.[/quote]

An all-time great for sure but Dream was only maybe 6’10 and didnt “change the game” quite the way Kareem, Wilt and heck even Shaquille did

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Just googled “Hakkem Olajuwon quadruple double” and Olajuwon has actually done it TWICE, but after reviewing game tape the NBA decided one of his assists didn’t count, so they took it away from him in terms of his recording the quad-dub but let it stand on his career total? That seems pretty shady. Here’s to the Dream, the greatest center of all time and a one man fantasy team.[/quote]

An all-time great for sure but Dream was only maybe 6’10 and didnt “change the game” quite the way Kareem, Wilt and heck even Shaquille did
[/quote]

Wilt was 7’2"+ playing against 6’7" centers with no 3 seconds and the rules catered towards him. He wouldn’t even be in the league today. Kareem was great, but always played with other hall of famers and two of the best pg’s of all time in Robertson and Magic. Shaq -as good as he was -is a career underachiever and got MURDERED every time He and Oluajuwon went head-to-head, at least before '97. Go back and look at Olajuwon’s career stats, and realize that he put those numbers up during the NBA’s golden era against the best crop of centers the league has ever seen. Olajuwon didn’t “change the game” in the publics eyes 'cause as big as Houston is, it’s still a semi-small market and most people never saw him play. But, ask any of the players and coaches of that era and he’s widely accepted as the 2nd best player of the 90’s behind Jordan. I don’t care that he was 6’10", he did things that no center has done before or since. If I get to pick any center inNBA history tostart my team, I’m taking Dream.

[quote]silverblood wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]silverblood wrote:

climbing 5.14+ is pretty hard also.[/quote]

Quoted for emphasis.[/quote]
the highest I ever acheived was 5.10 as a gorilla climber. seeing where you’re from you understand what I mean. I’ve seen what I was told was a 5.15. it looked like a gecko would fall off.[/quote]

I think he was inferring is that you climbed a cock 5.14+" long and it was pretty hard also.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

Haha. Fair enough.

Ever played it?

Best game ever invented…that is tough, definitely not Cricket. I love basketball (easiest to play), wrestling though is probably my favorite, boxing is fun, and football is awesome…huge fan. However, I’m going to have to say baseball is the best sport ever. Little more expensive than soccer (not really if you play stick ball), but a lot less gay.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

It’s been done 4 times, twice in the modern age. Olajuwon did it once, and came one assisst shy of doing it 2 more times. That’s fucking insane. If anyone in todays game has the ability, it’s Josh Smith of the Hawks. Also, hitting a baseball is nowhere near the hardest thing to do in sports. I played one year [5th grade] as a kid, broke my hand my first at bat and didn’t touch a bat again for probably another 12 or 13 years. Went to a faciity run by an ex-pro that had machines that went up to 102 mph and the ball would go wherever you programmed it to. I connected on over 5 out of 20 at 100mph. Granted, I knew where it was going and there wasn’t 1,000’s of people shouting at me, but I did it without having touched a bat in over a decade. With practice I’m sure I’d get better.
[/quote]

You’re right, I forgot to double check, but still…only occurred 4 times? Just because it DID occur doesn’t mean it isn’t damn near impossible, right?

Not picking on you, just trying to prove a point…ok, ok. Hardest feat to achieve that HAS been achieved. I still maintain a quad dub is pretty fucking unreal.

Goddamn, I miss 90’s ball.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

Haha. Fair enough.

Ever played it?

Best game ever invented…that is tough, definitely not Cricket. I love basketball (easiest to play), wrestling though is probably my favorite, boxing is fun, and football is awesome…huge fan. However, I’m going to have to say baseball is the best sport ever. Little more expensive than soccer (not really if you play stick ball), but a lot less gay.[/quote]

Baseball. America’s pastime and the greatest sport ever.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[/quote]

Wilt was 7’2"+ playing against 6’7" centers with no 3 seconds and the rules catered towards him. He wouldn’t even be in the league today. Kareem was great, but always played with other hall of famers and two of the best pg’s of all time in Robertson and Magic. Shaq -as good as he was -is a career underachiever and got MURDERED every time He and Oluajuwon went head-to-head, at least before '97. Go back and look at Olajuwon’s career stats, and realize that he put those numbers up during the NBA’s golden era against the best crop of centers the league has ever seen. Olajuwon didn’t “change the game” in the publics eyes 'cause as big as Houston is, it’s still a semi-small market and most people never saw him play. But, ask any of the players and coaches of that era and he’s widely accepted as the 2nd best player of the 90’s behind Jordan. I don’t care that he was 6’10", he did things that no center has done before or since. If I get to pick any center inNBA history tostart my team, I’m taking Dream.[/quote]
You lost all credibility when you said Wilt wouldn’t even be in the league today.

[quote]St.George wrote:

Baseball. America’s pastime and one of the gayest sports ever.[/quote]

QFT!!!

[quote]OBoile wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[/quote]

Wilt was 7’2"+ playing against 6’7" centers with no 3 seconds and the rules catered towards him. He wouldn’t even be in the league today. Kareem was great, but always played with other hall of famers and two of the best pg’s of all time in Robertson and Magic. Shaq -as good as he was -is a career underachiever and got MURDERED every time He and Oluajuwon went head-to-head, at least before '97. Go back and look at Olajuwon’s career stats, and realize that he put those numbers up during the NBA’s golden era against the best crop of centers the league has ever seen. Olajuwon didn’t “change the game” in the publics eyes 'cause as big as Houston is, it’s still a semi-small market and most people never saw him play. But, ask any of the players and coaches of that era and he’s widely accepted as the 2nd best player of the 90’s behind Jordan. I don’t care that he was 6’10", he did things that no center has done before or since. If I get to pick any center inNBA history tostart my team, I’m taking Dream.[/quote]
You lost all credibility when you said Wilt wouldn’t even be in the league today.[/quote]

Who are you? Wilt was a lumbering big man with no touch, very little fluidity and his best shot was an over the head finger roll from 6-8 ft out. I don’t care that he did the high jump at Kansas. By todays standards he’s be the definition of “ploddling big man” and would get his shit thrown into the first row every time, assuming he could even get a shot off. I respect what the players of yesteryear did, and what they meant to the game, but any of the superstars from before probably 1975 couldn’t play in todays game. The game’s evolved too much.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]OBoile wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[/quote]

You lost all credibility when you said Wilt wouldn’t even be in the league today.[/quote]

Who are you? Wilt was a lumbering big man with no touch, very little fluidity and his best shot was an over the head finger roll from 6-8 ft out. I don’t care that he did the high jump at Kansas. By todays standards he’s be the definition of “ploddling big man” and would get his shit thrown into the first row every time, assuming he could even get a shot off. I respect what the players of yesteryear did, and what they meant to the game, but any of the superstars from before probably 1975 couldn’t play in todays game. The game’s evolved too much.[/quote]

I vehemently disagree with you :slight_smile:

You know I played the sport. I just took my “nephew” to a coaching session with a former big east big man who’s coaching now for some post work - he’s 6.6 and 16 years old. Now, I played the game, but I played PG and let me tell you, the session was an eye opener in terms of footwork and the nuances of post play.

There isn’t a lot of room to maneuver and if you take out the ESPN highlights, post play is very basic - not all athletic highlights. Whether or not Wilt would be a “plodding big man” (I have no opinion), he was a very powerful man, he had great length and long limbs, and as long as he understood footwork and position (which a lot of guys don’t), he’d still be a star in this league.

I also heard a similar comment about Wilt while in the presence of Sonny Hill (google him). Sonny has a connection to the NBA game from then to now and he would “vehemently” disagree with you as well. We aint talking guards here Flash, we’re talking post play and it’s an entirely different game down there.

Kevin McHale couldn’t jump over a phone book and he’s a hall of famer and top 100 player and if he were in the league today, he’s still give you the same stats he did in his prime in Boston. He did it on footwork and technique - not athleticism.

with this whole Wilt debate what are talking about here? are we talking:

Time machine goes back and grabs Wilt in his prime, brings him back here today and he’s playing tomorrow in the NBA?

or

Wilt reincarnate is born 25 years ago, grew up playing ball the way it is nowadays and is trying to play in the league?

I feel like those are two VERY different scenarios.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]St.George wrote:

Baseball. America’s pastime and one of the gayest sports ever.[/quote]

QFT!!![/quote]

Says the man from California and the homostache. Just because you didn’t get picked to play, doesn’t mean baseball is gay.